Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in becoming an ESL teacher. I worry because of my age (54). Will there be a demand for ESL in the next few years? I am in the NE. Is an understanding of a foreign language a requirement for becoming an ESL teacher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 PM

95 posts, read 77,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I'm interested in becoming an ESL teacher. I worry because of my age (54). Will there be a demand for ESL in the next few years? I am in the NE. Is an understanding of a foreign language a requirement for becoming an ESL teacher?
No. As long as you speak english you're good. You dont need to speak another language because you'll have students that speak other languages. If you start speaking another languages to a particular student the others might feel left out

Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 PM

110 posts, read 110,228 times
Quote:

Not at all, the biggest thing that you will focus on is helping the students read, write and speak English fluently. You are going to need to have an understanding of the most effective methods to accomplish this.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
ESL is always a need. When I got my MA in TESOL, it was only offered in two places. You can now obtain an MA in TESOL all over the country. It is definitely a growing field and most districts (in larger cities) list it as a high needs area, right up there with special education, math, and science.

I have been a certified ESL teacher for over 25 years.

You will need to get a teaching credential though. Some districts allow you to get a job while you work on your credentials.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
First of all, a great big thank you to all who have responded to my question. So, you don't think my age will be a factor? I am sure to some schools it might,but I mean in general, do you think I will face a lot of age-related discrimination?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Quote:
First of all, a great big thank you to all who have responded to my question. So, you don't think my age will be a factor? I am sure to some schools it might,but I mean in general, do you think I will face a lot of age-related discrimination?
There is really no way to know about your age being a factor.

I haven't worked for 10 years, I have 17 years of experience but took 10 years off to stay home with my kids. I am now going back to work and it did take a little while to get a job lined up. I honestly don't know if my age was a factor, or the fact that I have a 10 year gap in my work history.

But I think that if you are in a hard to fill needs area (math, science, special education, ESL) you will be in better condition to land a job.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:30 PM

134 posts, read 176,595 times
I'm almost 53 and just got a job in a new place. I am certified ESL, Reading, and Elementary Ed, and believe it or not, the Elementary Ed cert is the one I got hired for, despite the other two being considered "shortage areas" in the state I'm moving to. I've never felt age discrimination, but I'm also a little quirky and try to keep on top of 'youth culture'. Not to say that I like it, but I have kids in their 20's so they keep me updated on what's 'cool', so when I interview with a 12 year old admin, I can speak their language, ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching