Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM

564 posts, read 2,337,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
South Range Family ~ unfortunately, where I am, the thinking is the exact opposite. School boards around here will hire NO ONE but student teachers, who are 22, for full-time postions (on the slim chance there are any openings at all). A school district about two hours away hired 45 new grads this year- no one with more than a year of teaching experience. Needless to say, I am reading that it has been an interesting year so far. We shall see how PSSA goes.

I agree. Teaching requires skills that are not measured by a single test. I have only gotten better with age and experience, as with most things in life. I do not understand the whole "you need to be 20 to be hired" mentality, other than they think they are getting a financial bargain. Sad, really. My best teachers were those who had much to offer from their long, interesting lives.

Ageism is a funny thing. Tends to spread.

I'm so sorry that I'm in my twenties and can find a job doing what I love. Tell you what, I'll just go work stacking shelves at Wal-Mart for 20 years, then I'll teach. God knows I don't want to selfishly put food on my own table doing the job I paid out the arse to go to school for.

Silly, selfish me.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,156,595 times
Default Congrats!

Teach,

First off congrats!

Second, the schools need more folks like you.

Third, no it's not strange. 40 is very young. You can't retire until you're 67 or maybe 70 anyway so you have 27 or 30 years man. That's a whole career by itself. Just get some IRA/Mutual funds going if you have not started and max out the 401k or the teachers version of it and you'll look back during your lovely retirement and you'll be glad of your chioce! Stick around as long as you'd like and enjoy the ride because when it's over it's over!

I'm 34 and I'll be starting my business this year and like you, god willing, I want to do business deals well up into my 70's.

Good luck, Teach!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 PM

316 posts, read 595,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Hi,

I will have a degree in elementary education a year from now. I am a male in my mid 40s starting a second career. I have subbed in a K-4 grade setting for about four years and love it. However, at times since going back to school I paused to think whether starting a career in education at my age was a good idea. By the time I'm in my 50s I would have been teaching only about 10 years. True that may seem like forever these days, but it isn't. I would like to continue teaching elementary level well into my 60s, God willing. However, by then people at that age will be retiring and I will want to stick around. Does this seem strange to anyone? I regret not having entered the profession before now. But as some may say, better late than never.
I would like to wish you best of luck and offer you a few tips:

If you truly feel that you have the knack to successfully educate children you prove yourself truly successful.

I think the biggest challenge facing any educator is to convince children that you truly care about them. If you can bring that message across in a subtle but convincingly way, your students, and you will be highly successful.

To this end I would like to wish you best of luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:25 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,674,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
People like you thoroughly anger me.

I went to six years of school and I'm 23 years old. I'm just as qualified as anyone else to teach. I have to pay bills, eat, and live, and teaching is what does that. It's what I went to college for and paid over 30,000 bucks for.

So what should I do? Wait 20 years and work in a factory so I can get "real experience" in life?

And your only counter will be "I have underwear older than you?" You have NO room to talk about maturity.

Who are you to assume we haven't had any "life experience" just because we're younger?

You need to grow up a little and come back when your "real experience" in life allows you to have an opinion that isn't founded on complete B.S.

Well buddy, I think your little hissy fit has proven my point. You think you know about life because you paid 30 grand for school? Big deal, I've paid more than that for cars. Six years in school? Big deal, I've got more time than that sitting in the bathroom at work.
Talk to me when your job has moved you to several different States, and you had to decide if it was worth uprooting your family again. Talk to me after you have built your own house with your own two hands. Talk to me after you have buried your parents. Talk to me after your wife has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Talk to me after you sit up all night holding a sick kid, and then work a 12 hour shift without any sleep. Tell me about your life experience after you get an emergency phone call at work, and have to rush to the hospital because your kid is in emergency surgery.

Talk to me after you have delivered your babies at home. Talk to me after you have driven across country with 3 kids in the back seat asking if we're there yet. Talk to me after you have taken in neighbor kids, and fed them because their parents were too young to be parents.

Tell me about your life experience after you get furloughed from a job, and wonder if you will get called back before the money runs out. Talk to me after you have a job with so much responsibility, that a single mistake could instantly kill hundreds of people, yet the company only wants to pay a lousy 30 bucks an hour. Talk to me after you start your own business, and still work your normal job at the same time.

Until you do any of that, you are a punk kid that doesn't know squat about life. All you can teach, is what you have read in a book. So yes, I DO have underwear older than you, and a whole lot more.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:39 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
Time to close this one down. Thanks for all of the passionate posts. Best of luck to the OP in the new career!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.