Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,588,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
OP, as a teacher myself it is hard to feel sorry for any teacher complaining about pay...Why, because like other government jobs, you know exactly what you will be paid year after year. There are no surprises or arguing for raises. Now of course I am referring to public schools, charters are a whole other topic.

Honestly, with the exceptions of about 5 states or regions California, NY, Penn, NJ, CT and Washington D.C. , the pay for teachers across the country is not the best.
I think the OP misrepresented the original post. Most people read that and think public school teacher. The OP works at a daycare. The pay is more than adequate.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I get reimbursed back the monies I did not use for classes. that money is going into savings.

?????
Your loans are in deferment, which are accurring interest.

For grad school you have unsubsidized loans, but someone is reimbursing you so you are putting the money in the bank? Why not just pay on the loan instead of adding interest? Who is paying you back? I'm confused.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 PM

525 posts, read 405,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
?????
Your loans are in deferment, which are accurring interest.

For grad school you have unsubsidized loans, but someone is reimbursing you so you are putting the money in the bank? Why not just pay on the loan instead of adding interest? Who is paying you back? I'm confused.
.... wow

Old 11-20-2016, 06:37 AM

26,701 posts, read 26,756,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The OP works at a daycare. The pay is more than adequate.
Her pay, for a college graduate, is abysmal. Preschool teachers are, unfortunately, among the lowest paid employees in our country. And in my state, you need only 12 hours of early childhood education classes to teach preschool.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,588,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Her pay, for a college graduate, is abysmal. Preschool teachers are, unfortunately, among the lowest paid employees in our country. And in my state, you need only 12 hours of early childhood education classes to teach preschool.
Then she should either get her teaching license or use her degree for something else.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,081,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Then she should teach something other than Pre-K. People who go into Pre-K or lower know that the pay is abysmal.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Then she should teach something other than Pre-K. People who go into Pre-K or lower know that the pay is abysmal.
I love teaching Pre-K, but also wish to teach Kindergarten and 1st grade.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:55 AM

195 posts, read 278,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
This is a pretty interesting list. Claims to be the 50 highest paying districts for first year teachers. I didn't verify his sources, nor did I see when the list was published. Interesting nonetheless.

50 Highest Paying School Districts for First-Year Teachers
I actually really enjoyed this article and found it to be informative. That being said, it is definitely inaccurate. It basically ignores the state of Alaska with the exception of North Slope School District. I teach in AK in a fabulous district, but one that isn't considered to be one of the high paying ones, and our starting salary is still higher than half of that list (plus we have some killer added benefits like not paying for healthcare).

I only point this out to say that there are lots of great district across the country, and if you find a state you enjoy it's important to shop around for a good school. There are hidden gems that pay decently. Teaching is never going to be a high paying profession, but if you love it - find a good district!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,304,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I love teaching Pre-K, but also wish to teach Kindergarten and 1st grade.
I don't get where you are living. Thats looks like the major issue. In LA, the Pre-K teachers make as much as the rest of us. Go somewhere where Pre-k is part of the public school system and not a center onto itself. My grandmother did what u did for years with a M.A. degree from like 1965-95. Maxed out at like 40k and ran through her pension already. GET OUT OF THE CENTER.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I don't get where you are living. Thats looks like the major issue. In LA, the Pre-K teachers make as much as the rest of us. Go somewhere where Pre-k is part of the public school system and not a center onto itself. My grandmother did what u did for years with a M.A. degree from like 1965-95. Maxed out at like 40k and ran through her pension already. GET OUT OF THE CENTER.
Yes I am currently seeking work into the public school system as a pre k teacher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching