Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

I'm sure. I know my campus career and counseling center maintained a resource library one could avail one's self of. I just didn't find dedicated coursework on how to use it particularly necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:30 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
My opinion? Not well at all as far as public schools go.

Do they teach you about networking? How to prepare resumes and cover letters? How to interview? Yet they teach you about things you may have little or no need for (e.g. a foreign language).

Did your school prepare you for the job world?

EdX
Yes, they do teach resume and cover-letter writing. The employment counseling office holds workshops in those skills. But you'd be surprised how many students graduate and leave without ever taking advantage of that fabulous free resource.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:40 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Yet my state (and I'm sure others) have set up classes to help jobhunters, giving out course materials on networking and other subjects.

EdX
Why would they do that? You just said it only takes a day.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 PM

432 posts, read 342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Why would they do that? You just said it only takes a day.
Can you clarify your question? I don't follow.

EdX

Old 12-05-2016, 12:47 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Can you clarify your question? I don't follow.

EdX
In post # 8 you said networking only took a day to teach. Why would a course be needed.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:02 AM

432 posts, read 342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In post # 8 you said networking only took a day to teach. Why would a course be needed.
The course covered other subjects such as resumes and interviews. It was designed to give you the basics in job-hunting skills. Typically there were about 10-15 students at these classes.

EdX

Old 12-05-2016, 01:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
My school didnt teach me how to be a SAHM or a nanny. Im a better homeschool teacher than my teachers were in public school. " Oh sally, you want to spend a week digging deeper into Monet? OK!" vs " Sorry, we need to move on now, go to the library and do your own research "...gee thanks.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM

525 posts, read 406,081 times
Quote:

Do they teach you about networking? How to prepare resumes and cover letters? How to interview? Yet they teach you about things you may have little or no need for (e.g. a foreign language).

EdX

From personal experience school does not prepare no one for the real world. When I was in public school, I did not learn about any college fundamentals. I learned about writing format, college math etc when I entered college. College did not prepare for the job world.. the final semester of college we were required internships and a capstone class that helped us write resumes and cover letters.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:

EdX
Since when is the purpose of public education preparing people for the real world? According to the government the goal is all students go to college where there are placement offices to help them with stuff like that after they finish their degrees.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:

EdX
I don't think that's the school's job, what the heck are parents doing now? Uncles, Aunts, no one in the family knows how to make a resume despite decades in the work force? You need your teacher to do this, after they explain where babies come from, and after they explain how you should treat each other? I learned how to make a resume from reading a BOOK on how to make a resume (that was before computers, there's even more info available now)

Foreign language is going to do more for job prospects in a global economy than something like making a resume that you can learn about on your own time.

I think the problem is actually too much hand-holding and kids graduate needing to be led by the nose and don't know how to begin adult life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching