Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 PM

525 posts, read 406,475 times

Advertisements

Hey you all, I am so determined as well as indecisive about going to school for 2 years to receive a degree in Elementary Ed. I already have an undergrad degree in Sociology and Anthropology. I graduated last year and quickly found out that education should have been what I went to undergrad for in the beginning, but I wouldn't listen to my parents whom are both educators and now I am back at square 1. I was attending Walden University M.Ed program however half way through the semester I discovered that the program does not lead to license or certs. I searched for every alternatives that would lead me to certification and the best route is attending the local university and take classes to earn a BS in Elementary ED. I want a program that is going to offer me the education that I need for teaching. The 2 year route leads to a professional certification, reading endorsement, and a practicum which consist of working under a teacher during the first block. The down side is I may or may not have enough loans to either complete the program or seek a higher degree.
I started Walden in August and will be done with the semester this week. I believe that the short amount of time I stayed there will still leave me enough loan money for the program.

I am very excited about this new beginning, but I feel like it is a major setback being that I have to attend undergrad all back over again. The adviser told me the district are in need of new teachers. Many teachers in the district walk out or find jobs elsewhere. She said that most of their interns get hired right away. Hopefully I can find a career start in public schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:50 PM

184 posts, read 143,998 times
Is pursuing an alternative certification an option in your state? It's what I did here in Texas. I already had a degree - so just had to take a pedagogy class, a subject-specific class, and do a paid internship where I taught under an emergency certification. Didn't have to take any more college classes. Cost about $5,000 total.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Like you, I was a career changer with a degree in something else and worked in a different field. There are no shortcuts in my state and at the time, no TFA or the equivalent.

Be careful about schools like Walden. Their credits do not often transfer to other schools and districts in my area will not consider anyone with a degree from a for-profit. I would still try to get the credits needed on the graduate level if possible from a legitimate school. I don't think a master's is a requirement in Florida like it is in my state, where multiple grad degrees are strongly encouraged and expected.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:08 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I did alternate route in my state as well. It didn't cost nearly as much as the post above mine.

I had a degree in my subject area. It was easy.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:06 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Are you still in Florida? Florida Certificate Pathways & Routes

If possible you would be best off going to a public university and getting a Master's in Teaching (MAT).

Florida State-Approved Educator Preparation Programs

You might also want to consider seeking a long-term sub job first as it is the closest experience you can find to what it's like to be an actual full time teacher, this way you can see if this is what you really want to do before investing a lot of time and money.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Are you still in Florida? Florida Certificate Pathways & Routes

If possible you would be best off going to a public university and getting a Master's in Teaching (MAT).

Florida State-Approved Educator Preparation Programs

You might also want to consider seeking a long-term sub job first as it is the closest experience you can find to what it's like to be an actual full time teacher, this way you can see if this is what you really want to do before investing a lot of time and money.

I decided to do that but a MAT does not offer any specializations like the MEd does. I am going to try the undergrad route. The downside is the classes are offered at night and I live 45 mins from the school. I am planning on moving back towards where the school is located (It is in my hometown). I am really not liking living in the city lol

Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
I decided to do that but a MAT does not offer any specializations like the MEd does. I am going to try the undergrad route. The downside is the classes are offered at night and I live 45 mins from the school. I am planning on moving back towards where the school is located (It is in my hometown). I am really not liking living in the city lol
Not sure if this is an issue but if you already have a bachelors degree, you will not be eligible for the same kinds and amounts of financial aid.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not sure if this is an issue but if you already have a bachelors degree, you will not be eligible for the same kinds and amounts of financial aid.

Yes I am aware of that, but I am eligible for federal loans

Old 12-15-2016, 11:09 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
I already had my bachelors degree. I went to a one year online teacher certification program through a community college. It was 45 credits. 10 of the credits were a nine week student teaching internship in a kindergarten class.

Later I went to a university to get my Masters in curriculum and instruction. This was also 45 credits and I did a nine week internship for my reading endorsement.

The community college program was only about $4000. The masters at a private university was about $25,000.

I have taught for four years.

My advice would be to not get tempted by jobs at charter schools. Sub in a district until you get hired. Do not teach in a charter school.

Teach in a blue state with a strong union if possible. Avoid "right to work" states.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:41 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I'm going this route after I finish my masters (to allow me to teach higher-ed if I choose):

https://teach-now.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching