Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 PM

516 posts, read 426,521 times

Advertisements

So it appears the students and their parents heavily influence the cell phone policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 AM

393 posts, read 406,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That was more more or less the format in my kids' school system except instead of locked in the office the second offense was ISS then OSS for subsequent violations. They trîed to impose expulsion for the fifth offense but the State Board reined that in.

Where I taught also banned them, but the administration which was supposed to secure them refused to and kicked it back to the teachers. As a result we really didn't enforce it after a couple phones disappeared from teachers' desks and the admin left the teachers to twist in the wind by saying policy wasn't followed.

And they wondered why no one trusted them.

I am so damned glad I retired.
Our school BANS phones in the classroom, but you can use them before and after, at lunch, and between classes. The administration makes a big deal about the classroom ban, lots of announcements, lots of ra ra. Students then get into classrooms and continue using phones. If you get after them, students, some anyway, go crazy about how you are, "up in my grill", many will not listen to you, or just walk out the classroom. At one time I spent half of my class redirecting students not to use phones, put phones away, and getting yelled at by students if I pressed the issue. I

I gave up, don't care. By the time you wrote administrative referrals, and handed out consequences, the teacher looks like he has no classroom management. Many times the administrator will just tell student to put phone away and send them back to class, where as the phone just comes back out.

It's just another one of those "responsibilities" thrown to the teachers, "here at Public school x" we ban phones, but really no one follows policy.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:26 AM

50,224 posts, read 23,846,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Our school BANS phones in the classroom, but you can use them before and after, at lunch, and between classes. The administration makes a big deal about the classroom ban, lots of announcements, lots of ra ra. Students then get into classrooms and continue using phones. If you get after them, students, some anyway, go crazy about how you are, "up in my grill", many will not listen to you, or just walk out the classroom. At one time I spent half of my class redirecting students not to use phones, put phones away, and getting yelled at by students if I pressed the issue. I

I gave up, don't care. By the time you wrote administrative referrals, and handed out consequences, the teacher looks like he has no classroom management. Many times the administrator will just tell student to put phone away and send them back to class, where as the phone just comes back out.

It's just another one of those "responsibilities" thrown to the teachers, "here at Public school x" we ban phones, but really no one follows policy.
Reading this, my question would be which is the problem: the cell phone rules OR the school.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post

This is the problem with public schools. Zero respect. I would collect the phones at the phones at the start of class and whoever refused would be sent packing. And wash rinse repeat the next day. If administration didn't like how I did things I'd look for another place to teach.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,980,466 times
In the school I last taught at, you could have all the cell phones you wanted, but they wouldn't work. For some reason, there was no signal anywhere in the building.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM

393 posts, read 406,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Reading this, my question would be which is the problem: the cell phone rules OR the school.
It's the school district. Ever afraid to upset anyone. Lots of bluster, no follow through. But...if they want to "punish" a teacher, the important people will come in your classroom and chew you out for students having their phones out. Never mind the fact that it's these same important people who look away, see no evil.....

A job is a job, and I sold my soul and standards a long time ago. 4 years to go.

AND YES....that's a sad commentary on my life and my profession. If a had any backbone at all, I would have quit a long time ago.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:19 PM

807 posts, read 1,027,019 times
I worked at a school where cell phones were banned. First offense parents had to come pick up the phone from the office. Parents were never happy to get that call. But it worked, I never saw a phone.

Phones are a plague to their learning. But I look at it this way, phones are part of life, especially for kids that have never lived in a world without them. So we should teach them to take responsibility and make the right decisions. Is it really a good idea to be playing games instead of working? Are you prepared to fail because you couldn't control yourself and do the right thing? We should teach them now before they are adults where the consequences are minimal compared to when they are older and risk losing a job over cell phone use.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM

50,224 posts, read 23,846,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
This is the problem with public schools. Zero respect. I would collect the phones at the phones at the start of class and whoever refused would be sent packing. And wash rinse repeat the next day. If administration didn't like how I did things I'd look for another place to teach.
Well, in my school we would have sent you packing.

Let's remember, teachers are not all angels. I had teachers who were adamant about students not having cell phones, but who didn't mind TAKING cell phone calls on their own phones right in the middle of class.

We even had one who called a parent in the middle of class over a discipline issue. You don't conduct that kind of business in front of a whole class.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:16 PM

44,961 posts, read 59,942,524 times
Quote:

Let's remember, teachers are not all angels. I had teachers who were adamant about students not having cell phones, but who didn't mind TAKING cell phone calls on their own phones right in the middle of class.

We even had one who called a parent in the middle of class over a discipline issue. You don't conduct that kind of business in front of a whole class.
We were instructed to call parents during class instead of requesting an administrator.

I was one of the few who never did it. Then again, I had very few discipline problems I didn't or couldn't handle myself.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Very true. What's good for the goose has to be good for the gander and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching