Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM

516 posts, read 429,290 times

Advertisements

I am genuinely curious about this. I did a quick google search but didn't turn up the results I wanted. I am 29 years old and have several younger cousins in their teens, all with smart phones. They say they could not imagine going to a school where phones are banned during class.

EDIT: I forgot to add, my cousins have also told me that they would do whatever it took to use their phone at school. I asked, even if it means negative consequences? Two said yes.....I just shook my head. I don't know why a phone would be viewed as more important than your education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:49 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
This was a decade ago, but at first we tried banning cell phones, but parents insisted they wanted their kids to be able to carry them due to traveling to or from school, which did seem reasonable. However, once inside the building, they had to be put inside lockers. I'm sure that rule has bit the dust in the time since.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Yep. None allowed at my last school.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
I am genuinely curious about this. I did a quick google search but didn't turn up the results I wanted. I am 29 years old and have several younger cousins in their teens, all with smart phones. They say they could not imagine going to a school where phones are banned during class.

EDIT: I forgot to add, my cousins have also told me that they would do whatever it took to use their phone at school. I asked, even if it means negative consequences? Two said yes.....I just shook my head. I don't know why a phone would be viewed as more important than your education.
It is teacher discretion in my district. Most of the teachers in my particular school "ban" them in their classes. I require they be upside down on their desks, where I can see them, unless we are using them for a particular reason.

As for the edit, what??? Teenagers are not appreciating their educations? Say it isn't so! Ok so a little heavy handed with the sarcasm. Phones are just the newest distraction, but distracting each others education for social reason is by no means new itself.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
We had no use of cell phones from 7:30 to 3:30. They could be in lockers, actually, they had to be in lockers.

If caught with one out, first offense was 10 day and second was 30 day locked in office. Office handled that, many parents were irritated, but we were firm, and everything was fine. Two or three violators a month, school wide.

Some teachers did "stuff" where cell phones were used in class. Pretty controlled, but it worked.

The issue with cell phones in school is really pictures, recordings and subsequent posting on social media.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post

The school I am at does not allow cell phone..or money...or paper clips...or nike...or metal forks...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,278 times
The NYC Dept of Ed banned cell phones for years... it was not effective.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM

45,345 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
We had no use of cell phones from 7:30 to 3:30. They could be in lockers, actually, they had to be in lockers.

If caught with one out, first offense was 10 day and second was 30 day locked in office. Office handled that, many parents were irritated, but we were firm, and everything was fine. Two or three violators a month, school wide.

Some teachers did "stuff" where cell phones were used in class. Pretty controlled, but it worked.

The issue with cell phones in school is really pictures, recordings and subsequent posting on social media.
That was more more or less the format in my kids' school system except instead of locked in the office the second offense was ISS then OSS for subsequent violations. They trîed to impose expulsion for the fifth offense but the State Board reined that in.

Where I taught also banned them, but the administration which was supposed to secure them refused to and kicked it back to the teachers. As a result we really didn't enforce it after a couple phones disappeared from teachers' desks and the admin left the teachers to twist in the wind by saying policy wasn't followed.

And they wondered why no one trusted them.

I am so damned glad I retired.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
We encourage students to bring their own devices (including phones) so that they can be used appropriately in class.

I was in a short training today after school and the example of students being able to use their phones to participate in a class activity was part of it.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,233,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

This is why our district has gone from a cell phone-friendly policy last year to the present one in which phones are not allowed to be used during the school day. I think the kicker was when the local news aired a cell phone video of a massive fight in which a mother pulled a gun from her purse and aimed it at students. There were others, such as the one showing a student pushing a teacher down the stairs, and all the fights on the buses.

I have written 14 referrals just since we got back last week for refusing to surrender a phone that was being used in class. I don't know if the administrators are taking action on the referrals or not. I do know that I did not regulate cell phone use last school year and student achievement was the lowest it had ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching