Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,433,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
The cost of day care makes working too expensive? So no woman should work huh? And 40 K apparently is plenty in many parts of the country outside of the major metropolitan areas. Have you seen what the national median salary is? If you're district has one, you're probably in the cheap part of the country. just for example, check the salary scale for teachers in nassau and Suffolk County in New York State, well over 100K

With like 32 districts in LA county not to mention the ones up in the Bay area,and in Ventura county, why in the heck would you look to the rural areas to make a point
I said for many. As a teacher it would have made no sense for me to keep working when I had two kids because of the cost of day care. My take home is just over $2k/month. I paid $400/week for day care back in the early 2000's (and that was a bargain). I don't want to know what it is now. Back then I was making $90k so I could afford it. As a teacher making $40k, forget it.

There is no reason teachers should not make a livable wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 PM

11,582 posts, read 12,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am not positive, but it is my understanding that if you go the private school route, it is very difficult to switch to public school teaching (they will not hire you, or they will not count your experience at a private school, so you have to start as a teacher with no experience). Is that so?
Not in my area. It is quite common for a new grad to put a few years in a Catholic School first. The public schools here view that experience favorably. They will not hire fresh behind the ears new grads and having your own classroom and dealing with parents is considered "better experience/background" than subbing or working as an aide. Catholic School teachers here are unionized and do receive a fairly decent salary plus benefits plus pension through the Catholic Archdiocese. But it is considerably lower than public school teacher compensation. BTW, they have gone on strike numerous times. On the other hand, public schools may or may not give service credit to place the teacher on a higher step with the Catholic School work experience. NYC will do that up to 7 years, but some suburban districts will not.

If you can't get into a public school system, then the Catholic Schools are the next best thing, also very competitive to get in.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Here, parochial and otherwise private schools are much more highly regarded than the publics (our urban public school district actually was stripped of accreditation in 2011 and has been working to gain full accreditation back ever since). Educators in the Catholic schools and prep schools are generally looked upon more favorably locally for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching