Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 PM

127 posts, read 123,651 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelors (Special Ed), but I am not interested in becoming a teacher... it's there anything I can do besides teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
Therapy? Respite care? Wait tables? Get a master's degree in something you like better?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
I have a degree in Elementary Education. I taught for 10 years. I now work for a title company.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Work with nonprofits and other organizations that provide services for individuals with disabilities.

Behavior analysis, consulting (will take additional credentials and experience).

Becoming a family advocate who helps families of children with special needs navigate various procedings line IEP reviews, due process issues, ISL and group home placements, etc. is a popular career shift for experienced special ed teachers (and can be quite lucrative for those who really know their stuff and enjoy being hired guns), but it's less realistic for somebody who's not already spent time in the trenches, living and breathing special ed law.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,015 times
You could be a caseworker at a mental health/mental retardation facility.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM

298 posts, read 565,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I have a degree in Elementary Education. I taught for 10 years. I now work for a title company.
Is the pay roughly the same?

Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
Is the pay roughly the same?
I make 2.5 times my former salary.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I make 2.5 times my former salary.
Very interesting.

How many years have you worked for the title company? At the time you switched was the pay at the new job lower, about the same, or higher? How are the benefits?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
I have a bachelors (Special Ed), but I am not interested in becoming a teacher... it's there anything I can do besides teaching?
Good question! Tabula Rasa gave a great suggestion. I am actually considering special education. I would like to see what it's like being a teacher but I am already doing research on other things I can do. One thing would be to study applied behavior analysis. I feel that this would make me much more competitive and I could provide services to schools or centers. I feel that there is more freedom as a BCBA/BCaBA than special education teacher. Would you be interested in gaining experience in teaching and then perhaps going for a masters in it? You could then get your BCBA as well as try to work in administration (you may have to go back to university for this too).

Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
I forgot that as a B.C.B.A., you could also be your own boss. You don't necessarily have to work at a center. Also, with that degree, you could be a therapist at an a.b.a. center. Careful though, depending on the state you live in, the pay can be really really low for an a.b.a. therapist, which is crazy considering the work they do and the fact that the owners of the centers can well afford to pay them more. Anyway, some centers might actually put you in a managerial position due to your degree and you would probably work on kids' I.E.P.'s and keeping up with the progress, etc. You could teach the higher functioning ones in a group. It's teaching but it doesn't come along with the paperwork a school requests of you. There is still paper work, however, just not as much from what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching