Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 11:05 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
When I had 21 students I could grade long writing samples very easily, so the majority of my grades came from them. Now that I have 52 students, I limit them to 2-3 times a grading period. I get my grades from other products that are easier to grade. I think it gives a more rounded grade, as some children don't perform well on long writing samples.

I'm shocked a high school math teacher isn't using scantrons. Even upper elementary teachers use them. That seems like he is a newbie with no experience.
I'm an elementary teacher and I've never used scanteons. There has never even ban a scantron machine in a school where I've worked. It's typically paper pencil and they have to be graded. This year we're starting to do more assessments on computers, but that's still a very small part of the assessments given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I never heard of this in all my experience as a teacher.
I'm really not that surprised about this. What surprises me more is that this teacher even bothers giving tests. I recently subbed for a teacher for a week and found he does not give tests. He shows a lot of movies and students do an assignment in class for a grade. They have no incentive to learn anything.

I subbed for another high school teacher where a couple students told me it was a "blow off" class. They write a lot of short papers in class but I got the impression the teacher doesn't seriously grade them. I've found that some teachers can grade an essay on appearance only and don't have to actually read them.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Why in the world would he store them in his car? That makes no sense. If he really wanted them trashed, he would have thrown them out.

Now, sometimes I JOKE that I throw papers down the staircase and those that land on the top step get an A, and the bottom step an F, but I am definitely joking.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:52 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Why in the world would he store them in his car? That makes no sense. If he really wanted them trashed, he would have thrown them out.

Now, sometimes I JOKE that I throw papers down the staircase and those that land on the top step get an A, and the bottom step an F, but I am definitely joking.

That method is pretty good for obtaining a Bell Curve distribution though.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That method is pretty good for obtaining a Bell Curve distribution though.
True dat!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM

393 posts, read 409,413 times
FWIW.
I teach over 150 students a year, I only fail 4 or 5, basically if they NEVER hand in anything, or never attend. I grade everything as I move about the room. Doing detailed work, A, doing just enough B, sign your name and maybe a sentence or 2, D, F's for the rest. But...with our districts grading system, you only need 20% to pass, thus anyone can merely do 1 assignment of 5 and pass the class.

Some teachers do grade everything that crosses their desk; many of these are here "all the time" and end up; obese, alcoholic, under psychiatric care, marriage counseling, or simply quit. Their hard work in "grading" is so similar to my "on site" style, I don't see the point. Keep in mind it's a basic class, and they are learning basic skills, so I can do this in a project oriented class.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
FWIW.
I teach over 150 students a year, I only fail 4 or 5, basically if they NEVER hand in anything, or never attend. I grade everything as I move about the room. Doing detailed work, A, doing just enough B, sign your name and maybe a sentence or 2, D, F's for the rest. But...with our districts grading system, you only need 20% to pass, thus anyone can merely do 1 assignment of 5 and pass the class.

Some teachers do grade everything that crosses their desk; many of these are here "all the time" and end up; obese, alcoholic, under psychiatric care, marriage counseling, or simply quit. Their hard work in "grading" is so similar to my "on site" style, I don't see the point. Keep in mind it's a basic class, and they are learning basic skills, so I can do this in a project oriented class.
We had an alcoholic teacher. He kept booze in his drawer at school. In the lunchroom we could smell it on his breath.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:18 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We had an alcoholic teacher. He kept booze in his drawer at school. In the lunchroom we could smell it on his breath.

Only one?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
My daughter is in grad school and so grading tests and especially papers falls on her shoulders. She feeds them into a computer, and the computer analyzes them and tells her if they copied any language from any article, paper, thesis,or prior student's paper. It also tells her whether they address the key terms/concepts they are supposed to cover. It picks up grammar and spelling errors as well.

She still has to go and look at the terms or segments identified by the computer, but it does most of the work. She still reads the papers too, but apparently many or most of the TAs do not.

Anyway, I am wondering whether this system is used at the high school level or below, or only in college?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Only one?
Only one that I KNEW of???? At least the only one I knew drank at work.

Another teacher came in high fairly often, but that is a whole different issue. He was our drug free schools coordinator too. SIGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching