Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you. Kids need role models with whom they can identify.

The trouble I had was how few Black applicants we got. I never tallied it up, but I would say that when we would get application packets from the system's personnel office, that far less than 10% were minority applicants. And yet, at least at that time (and probably still) FCPS worked at finding minority applicants.

But let me ask you a question. You seem familiar with the D.C. area. When I was in Prince George's County, Maryland back in the late '70s and early '80s, we had plenty of Black teachers. Is one possibility that the average Black teacher feels more comfortable in a school system with a larger Black constituency?

And, BTW, the even bigger challenge was finding Latino applicants! I don't remember a single Latino teacher applicant in 20 years of administration (a very few for aide positions). A few Asian applicants.
It is actually simple, like any other teacher, black teachers prefer to work in the school system nearest their home. And, like any other person, they prefer to live where they grew up or near family and friends.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:28 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is actually simple, like any other teacher, black teachers prefer to work in the school system nearest their home. And, like any other person, they prefer to live where they grew up or near family and friends.
Maybe it is that simple. But on the other hand I had a number of teachers in my school who lived 25-75 miles away from the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:58 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I actually make it a point to not live and work in the same district. I don't want to run into students when I'm out and about.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:09 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Lol - any guess you can come up with is as good, if not better than mine.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I actually make it a point to not live and work in the same district. I don't want to run into students when I'm out and about.
I tend to agree with you.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In a neighborhood where young black boys were particularly unlikely to graduate, they offered a program for boys who were deemed at risk to be offered first choice at three particular teachers who were black men. Starting in kindergarten these teachers had half of their classes be kids more at risk, and then as those kids moved up a grade, the teacher moved with them. Right through elementary.

It was a very successful program for the students who had higher graduation rates than heir peers but in many ways more stressful for the teachers who had to spend much more time on learning new curricula each year.
My first day in my current district, my principal brought the 4th grade badass to my class because his current teacher said she didn't feel safe for himself or him to be in her class anymore.

Your post brought me back to a discussion that black males teachers are usually seen as only a disciplinary first, educator/curriculum expert second.

Honestly, not a bad program, if you have a consistent parapro to move up with you as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I spent most of my career living outside the school boundaries of where I worked, but still very close.

There were 2 incidents that still make me laugh to this day.

The first was when I was a teacher in Maryland, and I invited the principal and his wife and another teaching couple over to dinner. I lived in a somewhat upscale apartment complex in the neighborhood where I taught. When the principal and his wife walked up the sidewalk toward my building, I heard a kid in another apartment yell out: "Fitzgerald (a made up name for the story), you come in this neighborhood again and we'll shoot you!" He actually thought it was pretty funny.

The second incident was when I was a principal, and sometimes when I would be out shopping, a parent whom I didn't know or even recognize would see me and then note when they came into the school for something that I wasn't very friendly when they saw me at the mall. After all, 900 kids, 1800 parents...I can't know them all. So one day in the grocery store I saw a parent-aged woman looking at me and I thought...okay, another mother I don't know. So I walked over and said, "Well hello there. It's nice to see you." The woman looked at me and replied, "I don't know who you are mister, but if you don't leave me along I'm going to report you!"

So yes, there are reasons not to live within the boundaries of your school!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you. Kids need role models with whom they can identify.

The trouble I had was how few Black applicants we got. I never tallied it up, but I would say that when we would get application packets from the system's personnel office, that far less than 10% were minority applicants. And yet, at least at that time (and probably still) FCPS worked at finding minority applicants.

But let me ask you a question. You seem familiar with the D.C. area. When I was in Prince George's County, Maryland back in the late '70s and early '80s, we had plenty of Black teachers. Is one possibility that the average Black teacher feels more comfortable in a school system with a larger Black constituency?

And, BTW, the even bigger challenge was finding Latino applicants! I don't remember a single Latino teacher applicant in 20 years of administration (a very few for aide positions). A few Asian applicants.
Interesting. I am sure it varies by area of the country. I have lost 2 jobs now because someone of the race they were looking for applied. I get it, I really do, but it has been frustrating. The most frustrating was losing out to someone of the race and gender they wanted, and then listening to them complain about him not doing a good job.....um, I would have!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
I am currently reading Multiplication is for White People by Lisa Delpit. It talks about the fact that if you are outside the culture of the students you are teaching, it is much harder to get past the mainstream culture and to see these children as smart and able to learn. It is unfortunate that there is a perception that tells us that because these children come to school without the things that middle class children have learned, they are defective. It's actually not true. They have simply learned other things rather than things that are important in school. They are often great problem solvers, but as teachers we don't always recognize it because we are focused on the things they don't know.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:54 AM

[quote=ClaraC;48150945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Helps to have the actual study:

Quote:
The researchers initially studied about 100,000 black students who entered third grade in North Carolina Public Schools between 2001 and 2005. About 13 percent of the students ended up dropping out of high school, while about half graduated, but with no plans to pursue college.

However, low-income black students who were as good as randomly assigned to least one black teacher in third, fourth or fifth grade, were not only less likely to drop out of school, but 18 percent more likely to express interest in college when they graduated. And persistently low-income black boys — those who got free or reduced-price lunches throughout primary school — who had at least one black teacher in third, fourth or fifth grade, were 29 percent more likely to say they were considering college.

It does help, kind of. Wait, what?? I am into stats, and can't believe that one factor - having one black teacher in 3, 4, or 5th grade could possibly cause a 39% shift in graduation rates. Maybe the math is the problem here? How do you have a population where 13% drop out of high school and about half graduate?
Although I took a detour, I credit Mrs. Wilson in kindergaten, Mrs. Redmond in first grade, Miss Smith in third grade, and Mr. Hubright in sixth grade for leading me to want to become a teacher. So yes, I think an experience in elementary school can make a huge difference in how a student perceives themselves.

My extended family growing up was HUGE. What was it that changed in my generation that led some of us to college. Not one member of my extended family had ever gone to college until my generation. Then, suddenly, 3 of us went to college, although I one dropped out permanently, another dropped out but later returned and graduated, and I graduated. What changed? I don't quite know. But some little change began to make a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching