Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I am finding that high schools have been very slow to adopt, and some teachers are even resistant to any type of differentiated instruction.
Differentiated instruction is more important in lower grades for a few of big reasons:

1. Huge range of ability in each classroom. In high school, however, that is partly taken care of by having different classes for different needs.

2. Fewer students in elementary. When you teach 30 students for a full day, you know them better than you would if you taught 150 students for 50-minutes/day.

3. Elementary school kids are children. The responsibility lies with the adults. By high school, students should be responsible for much more of their own learning. (When I was in school, the term used for elementary school kids was "pupil." They didn't even call us students until junior high.)

In answer to the original question, I liked all of my teachers through elementary school, though in retrospect I know that not all were good teachers. In junior high and high school, I liked the teachers that I respected, and I respected the teachers who had something to teach, cared about their students, and had high standards. I also liked a couple others who weren't very good teachers but still cared about the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM

526 posts, read 386,257 times
I didn't dislike any of them. Can't remember most of their names, but a few stand out.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 59,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sunday View Post
Same here ,magically I did well with the good, average with the average and bad with the bad.
Me, too. However, I had many bad teachers. So, I ended up not liking school until I returned as an adult part-timer. Even there, in a community college, there were instructors that should not have been there.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I was pretty fortunate with the teachers that I had throughout school.

The majority of them wanted to be there and were creative in keeping the classes interesting.

I have very broad interests so maybe that made it easier for them to keep my attention in a variety of subjects

I think that I lucked out because I started kindergarten in 1975 and graduated high school in 1988.

The majority of parents still took responsibility and didn't expect the teachers to parent their kids. I have friends who are teachers and hear stories of how the kids show extremely disrespectful behavior in the classroom and when the parents are told about it, they shrug it off or blame the teacher. When I acted up in class the few times I did, I was in trouble at school but in bigger trouble once I got home.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:14 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I was pretty fortunate with the teachers that I had throughout school.

The majority of them wanted to be there and were creative in keeping the classes interesting.

I have very broad interests so maybe that made it easier for them to keep my attention in a variety of subjects

I think that I lucked out because I started kindergarten in 1975 and graduated high school in 1988.

The majority of parents still took responsibility and didn't expect the teachers to parent their kids. I have friends who are teachers and hear stories of how the kids show extremely disrespectful behavior in the classroom and when the parents are told about it, they shrug it off or blame the teacher. When I acted up in class the few times I did, I was in trouble at school but in bigger trouble once I got home.

Every generation thinks that their generation was more respectful than prior generations. Go check out the movies/books, Blackboard Jungle, To Sir With Love, Up the Down Staircase.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Mostly not!

I had a math teacher junior year that would throw erasers at students and scream "HERESY!" when they made a mistake. I mostly thought it was funny even though I regarded him as crazy. He was competent at teaching math but I avoided him as much as possible.

It was a Catholic schools.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:05 PM

378 posts, read 230,173 times
While some were arguably better and more qualified in their subject than others, I don't remember a single teacher I loathed. Except for my gym coach. I was a runt and she made me suffer for it.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejhere View Post
Me, too. However, I had many bad teachers. So, I ended up not liking school until I returned as an adult part-timer. Even there, in a community college, there were instructors that should not have been there.
That is everywhere,for me it was college.Some of the people they called professors were just ....bad.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:49 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
I went to private school and almost every teacher was excellent.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I went to private school and almost every teacher was excellent.

Well then you were lucky.Many bad teachers go to privet schools becuase they can't teach.[b]NOT saying all teachers in privet school are bad.Just that there is more supervision IMO in public schools ,some privet schools rely on intimidation to educate rather than teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching