Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 AM

4,972 posts, read 10,644,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Ah... So it's a class thing. See to me an expensive private high school that pays PHDs 80k is not normal. I can't even imagine what a "prestigious" school looks like.
I'm not sure that "it's a class thing"; rather, I think a lot of it depends on location as well as the operating budget of the school. The Northeast is notorious for being appreciative of education (and for having property taxes and/or alumni who reflect that), so schools here have historically paid teachers more, at least in relation to other areas of the country. In short, if a school here can recruit a PhD, they are going to; PhD's get a lot of respect here.

However, it's important to note that cost-of-living factors into the difference in salaries as well. Home prices (and rents), groceries, health care, etc. here are higher than in, for example, the South, so people are compensated accordingly.

And people with PhD's are also compensated for the money that they have ostensibly put into getting their degrees--getting a PhD is not cheap, so being paid 80K for one is seen as "fair" by most people here. In fact, many of my colleagues with PhD's don't understand how anyone can live on 45K a year (which is the starting salary here for a teacher with a BA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,261,863 times
It's also worth noting that when one gets a Masters's in Education, they must concentrate in a certain area. Depending on what your concentration would be, you could make yourself more marketable, possibly even adding an endorsement that would allow you to teach in fields beyond just what is on your original license.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,548,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOfSilver View Post
Hey, all.

I intend to pursue a career as a private high school English teacher. I'm considering going for my Master's after graduating from undergrad this coming year.

I know it'll probably vary by school, but does anyone know if a Master's in English or a Master's in Education would be more beneficial to get hired at a private school?
A M.A.Ed and teaching certification in your subject matter in your state will make you more competitive when pursuing private high school English teaching jobs. Many programs allow you to earn both at the same time. You will gain subject matter competency, and practical teaching skills. If most private school applicants only have a Bachelor's degree, then you want to be the applicant with more to offer.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM

807 posts, read 1,029,640 times
I faced the same decision when I left industry to pursue teaching. I asked myself, should I get a Masters in education or a Masters in chemistry. I decided on the Masters in education because I already had a Bachelors in chemistry, never taught or had education courses, so I thought studying education would be more beneficial to be a good teacher.

Now, after 7 years as a teacher, I think I made the wrong decision. First, the Masters program in education was a joke. I could have learned more by just reading books specific to the areas I was interested in. Second, a Masters in chemistry would have allowed me to teach chemistry at community colleges. Third, if I want to leave teaching, a Masters in chemistry would be more useful.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,538,213 times
Get the English degree, and add certification. I know that here (Texas), most schools want, at the HS level, to see your degree in the subject matter you teach.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
I have two MAs, one in TESOL to teach ESL to K-Adult, and one in School Counseling.

My suggestion would be to get in there and start teaching and then decide what you want your MA to be in. It really might change.

This is just something to keep in the back of your mind, even though you may scoff at it right now......look at the fields where the pay might be greater AND where the needs are. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten an MA in Speech Therapy or Audiology. Some of my linguistics classes were Speech classes and there is a huge need (always open positions) in Speech and the pay is higher. I am not saying you should do Speech, but rather, to think about the needs and how easy it will be to get a job down the line.

For me, I can still get my foot in the door pretty much anywhere with ESL, and I am thankful for that. I enjoy teaching ESL, but my passion is really counseling. I would continue and get School Psych but the need is not there and I am worried I wouldn't even be able to get a job after all the additional schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching