Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 04:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty apparent who has done some serious overidentifying, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
These people were posting libelous things about me that would've easily gotten them sued for defamation, hands down, so you don't know what you're talking about.
You are the one who stated that others' words had no effect on you in any way.

Don't wear out your glutes backpedaling.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM

50,469 posts, read 24,054,533 times
It's unfortunate when some people turn every post into a battle.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Now if I had gone bunny boiler on them, not only would I have validated these lunatics, I would've fomented the talking. But I waited, collected evidence "just in case" I had to get a lawyer, and that was the end of it. Which is what this nut job should've done if he truly felt they were defaming him and putting his career on the line.

Also? In order for him to "collect evidence," he'd have either needed to infiltrate the group under false pretenses (which he did), or rely upon a plant in the group to filter information back to him.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
I'm going to tell you what I told the other poster who made this same comment. You are demeaning yourself when you make this kind of false equivalence. Not being clever. Demeaning yourself.
Demeaning?

Maybe you don’t know what that word means.

Pointing out that you are also benefiting from the relative anonymity of an online forum to present your argumentative opinion is a bit hypocritical is not remotely demeaning to the person saying it.

Here, read up.

Demean | Define Demean at Dictionary.com

Old 02-11-2018, 05:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,684,540 times
Quote:
These people were posting libelous things about me that would've easily gotten them sued for defamation, hands down, so you don't know what you're talking about.

But never mind that. I saw what was going on, said, "They're just talking on CrapBook. CrapBook is inconsequential. Let's see how far this goes. If it goes outside of CrapBook, then I'll seek legal counsel and proceed from there. But right now, it just looks like a bunch of crazies who don't know me spouting off at the mouth on some stupid social media site. If I just ignore them/don't engage them, nothing will happen." Which is exactly what did happen.

Now if I had gone bunny boiler on them, not only would I have validated these lunatics, I would've fomented the talking. But I waited, collected evidence "just in case" I had to get a lawyer, and that was the end of it. Which is what this nut job should've done if he truly felt they were defaming him and putting his career on the line.
Your own issues are making you incapable of being rational about the subject as evidenced by your inability to write a post with out hyperbole.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Having been very involved in school fine arts, I would put money on the root of the discontent coming from stage parents whose kids didn't get selected for the participation of their choice in whatever performances were showcased.

The article noted that the teacher has been in the position a very short time...pretty much long enough to do, say, a fall play, perhaps a holiday production. Not a long-term educator in the district. The article very notably fails to note the nature of the parent complaints, so it's impossible to say, granted. If I were to spitball, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a case of "new theatre teacher doesn't hold to the same casting trends as a previous theatre teacher," and the kids who always get cast got their noses out of joint. Fine arts parent gossip ensues.

It doesn't make me wonder if "something else" was going on, because if it were a legitimate concern, such as inappropriate contact or interaction, unfair grading policies, etc., you can bet administration would have been contacted forthrightly (and rightfully so). The fact that it was a Facebook b!#*%-fest leads me very strongly to suspect that it was petty, stage mom, "my kid should have gotten the lead, it's his/her senior year, he/she paid her dues, who does this guy think he is" type" complaints that you'd be a nutbag to go to an administrator with. This is NOT uncommon. Somebody from the group complained to admin about the teacher's sockpuppet accounts, most likely, because they had NOTHING ELSE valid to complain about, or they'd have almost certainly already done so. If they had, they'd have very likely done so, given the way the sockpuppeting was (rightfully) jumped on.

I'm fairly sure the midyear termination probably occurred because of what was likely a violation of school social media policies, committed by creating sockpuppet accounts to interact in a hostile manner with parents while using a school e-mail address.

Overall, it sounds and smells a lot like a bad reaction to gossipy prima donna parents who had no real complaint, so they took to facebook until the teacher gave them a real complaint, served up on a silver platter. And the teacher should have known better. Rookie mistake to be baited into something so dumb.
This is an awesome assessment of what most likely happened.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Wahhh...boo hoo hoo.

Years ago, I was doxxed by a lunatic over a blog that didn't involve him but he took "personally" because it involved a "Facebook friend" of his. (Not a real life friend. A Facebook friend who he barely knew himself.) After doxxing me, he plastered my name all over the Facebook group they shared and instigated the entire group to start trash talking me, then kick up conspiracy theories about me. I never met this guy a day in my life, didn't even know he existed until he started stalking me on my blog and YouTube and this, I repeat, was over a blog that had nothing to do with him at all and didn't concern him.

Oh, wow! Guess I should've gone all bunny boiler on this guy and the Facebook group, created a couple of fake accounts to join their group to see what they were saying about me and then argued with them. Oh, wait. I didn't do anything because strangers ranting about me on the web don't mean anything and don't affect me personally in any way, shape or form. Besides, doing something crazy like that and getting caught in the process would've validated them in some way or played into their hands. People being mean on the internet is not nice, but creating socks to spy on them and then going so far as to befriend people under false profiles as a response to that is just plain crazy.

Now you're your own person, and you're free to take things to that level if you experience something like this. But I'm telling you--if you do that, it doesn't matter how "mean" or "unfair" people are being. You will come off as unhinged and the worse out of everyone.
Again, that was probably true in your case. In his case it most certainly could affect him in substantial ways, as in get him fired. Plus, not all were strangers and even the strangers were people within his community who had the capacity to destroy his career. Their ranting did mean things and impacted his life enough that people felt the need to warn him it was there. That is the difference. Why can't you comprehend that similar events, even indentical ones, can impact people differently, depending on other life circumstances?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Having been very involved in school fine arts, I would put money on the root of the discontent coming from stage parents whose kids didn't get selected for the participation of their choice in whatever performances were showcased.

The article noted that the teacher has been in the position a very short time...pretty much long enough to do, say, a fall play, perhaps a holiday production. Not a long-term educator in the district. The article very notably fails to note the nature of the parent complaints, so it's impossible to say, granted. If I were to spitball, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a case of "new theatre teacher doesn't hold to the same casting trends as a previous theatre teacher," and the kids who always get cast got their noses out of joint. Fine arts parent gossip ensues.

It doesn't make me wonder if "something else" was going on, because if it were a legitimate concern, such as inappropriate contact or interaction, unfair grading policies, etc., you can bet administration would have been contacted forthrightly (and rightfully so). The fact that it was a Facebook b!#*%-fest leads me very strongly to suspect that it was petty, stage mom, "my kid should have gotten the lead, it's his/her senior year, he/she paid her dues, who does this guy think he is" type" complaints that you'd be a nutbag to go to an administrator with.
This is NOT uncommon. Somebody from the group complained to admin about the teacher's sockpuppet accounts, most likely, because they had NOTHING ELSE valid to complain about, or they'd have almost certainly already done so. If they had, they'd have very likely done so, given the way the sockpuppeting was (rightfully) jumped on.

I'm fairly sure the midyear termination probably occurred because of what was likely a violation of school social media policies, committed by creating sockpuppet accounts to interact in a hostile manner with parents while using a school e-mail address.

Overall, it sounds and smells a lot like a bad reaction to gossipy prima donna parents who had no real complaint, so they took to facebook until the teacher gave them a real complaint, served up on a silver platter. And the teacher should have known better. Rookie mistake to be baited into something so dumb.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching