Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:54 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

No clock? I was school librarian and there was no clock. I went to the store and bought a big battery operated wall clock and stuck it high up on the wall. The kids never knew that it wasn't even built into the wall so it never occurred to them to mess with it. It's stupid that schools don't have clocks!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
I have seen a lot of places that don't have clocks anymore. They have gone the way of pay phones.

So, I wrote the time on the board every 10 minutes.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
So, I wrote the time on the board every 10 minutes.
How long is the class?

I would worry that your getting up every 10 minutes during a test would be a little distracting.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:35 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How long is the class?

I would worry that your getting up every 10 minutes during a test would be a little distracting.
Well I had to, or they wouldn't know how much time was left. One hour twenty minutes.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
One problem is they don't have clocks in classrooms anymore, and people don't wear watches. So during the midterm today, I guess I have to keep writing the time on the board?
Every classroom I'm in has a clock.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Well I had to, or they wouldn't know how much time was left. One hour twenty minutes.
Ok so next time bring that down to every 20 minutes so you aren't distracting them while trying to help.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would be insulted that anyone would tell me when I could or could not use my phone. Phones have too many functions today - reminders, calendars, and so on - to tell anyone they can't have it out. Also, I'm an adult. I like to have my phone out and I occasionally check something - i.e. a date on my calendar, or some notes that I put there, or the time left until break - during the class that I teach.
I, too, would be insulted if some professors told me that. I'm an adult learner and not a 15 year old. I would be even more insulted if someone were to do as suggested below. If a college class really was that bad, then I'd be out of there and asking for my money back that they let those kind of students into college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Walk up to their desk, slap a ruler loudly on the surface and demand they recite the ***(whatever you class is about they they should know). Do that three times and the monkey business will stop.

You will have a lot of dumb kids who do not belong in college and do not want to be there. My daughter is teaching her first class right now. It is an advanced class on how to gather data and manage and read/analyze statistics to reach conclusions. She had them do a mid year anonymous review to see how she was doing. Five kids wrote comments about the class material being too focused on statistics and data.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would be insulted that anyone would tell me when I could or could not use my phone. Phones have too many functions today - reminders, calendars, and so on - to tell anyone they can't have it out. Also, I'm an adult. I like to have my phone out and I occasionally check something - i.e. a date on my calendar, or some notes that I put there, or the time left until break - during the class that I teach.
Employers do it all the time. Adults who are employees get poor evaluations, write ups, or terminated for cell phone usage when they erroneously think their cell phone is too important or has too many uses to stow away.

In a classroom with adults rules about cell phones are established to prevent students from distracting others, not to protect themselves from being distracted. I couldn't care less about when adult students use their cell phone, however I care very much WHERE they use them. Not in my classroom. Even if they are just sitting there just scrolling through one the flickering lights or repetive hand motions can be distracting to other students. This is true in all adult classes but I teach K-12 educators, experienced ones have often developed a subconscious hyper-awareness of non-standard behavior and it will interfere with their own learning, so this is non-negotiable.

If I were a student and I felt my professor was continually on their cell phone I would ding them on the evaluation for it.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Employers do it all the time. Adults who are employees get poor evaluations, write ups, or terminated for cell phone usage when they erroneously think their cell phone is too important or has too many uses to stow away.

Yep. Cell phone usage on the job was a fireable action at my previous workplace. Distractions of that caliber represented real safety risks, and they weren't messing around with it.

Quote:
In a classroom with adults rules about cell phones are established to prevent students from distracting others, not to protect themselves from being distracted. I couldn't care less about when adult students use their cell phone, however I care very much WHERE they use them. Not in my classroom. Even if they are just sitting there just scrolling through one the flickering lights or repetive hand motions can be distracting to other students.

ABSOLUTELY.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
One problem is they don't have clocks in classrooms anymore, and people don't wear watches. So during the midterm today, I guess I have to keep writing the time on the board?
Why would it be responsibility of watch wearers to make sure that non-watch wearers know the time?

This is very strange. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching