Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

I was accused by a parent of forcing a student to participate in gym class where he supposedly got a concussion. I had told the boy to sit out. Another teacher was there and he had to submit a written statement describing the situation. Since this occurred in the gym, they finally looked at the security cameras that showed the boy was not on the floor at all during the class. Seems like it would be a good idea to have security cameras in all classrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 03:07 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I was reading about a teacher who almost lost his license because a student accused him of making a thread. So I wanted to find out how common it is that students make accusations or comments about teachers that wind up being investigated.
A student a few years ago accused a bunch of teachers, students and his guidance counselor of bullying them. THe student had 7 teachers and four them were accused of bullying. There was no investigation just a lawsuit. The lawsuit asked for damages including the cost of private school tuition. It is still pending.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was accused by a parent of forcing a student to participate in gym class where he supposedly got a concussion. I had told the boy to sit out. Another teacher was there and he had to submit a written statement describing the situation. Since this occurred in the gym, they finally looked at the security cameras that showed the boy was not on the floor at all during the class. Seems like .

I'm not a teacher but I wouldn't be willing to work, unless there was a camera in my classroom.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Never to me, but it isn't uncommon.

I've definitely taught places where it was common for students with many incompletes to accuse teachers of losing their papers and assignments.

I've known male teachers I firmly believe were completely railroaded and chased from the profession by accusations I consider baseless. Male teachers can be sitting ducks so often, and it's pretty terrible.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

I'm not a teacher but I wouldn't be willing to work, unless there was a camera in my classroom.
When I taught in a behavioral school, I had students with emotional and behavioral disturbance, many of whom had histories of making false allegations against authority figures. We had cameras in the classroom, and also always had two adults, minimum, present.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When I taught in a behavioral school, I had students with emotional and behavioral disturbance, many of whom had histories of making false allegations against authority figures. We had cameras in the classroom, and also always had two adults, minimum, present.
Unfortunately, I think we are going to get to the point where those precautions will be necessary in every classroom. Part of me keeps thinking the recommendation for body cams on school employees is on the horizon. While protecting children will be driving that train, the reality is school employees could use protection, too. False accusations are a real issue, and although sexual accusations are more serious, most are of the "she touched me" or she said "...blah, blah, blah..." variety. Lives are ruined over false accusations, people just don't care as much because they are adults. Social media sends the accusations out at lightening speed, but proof of innocence or impugnment gets maybe a paragraph in the local paper.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-18-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
I had a student accuse me of grabbing him when what I did was block him during an altercation. His parents filed charges with the police but nothing has come of it. I figured it wouldn't. He was not hurt in the slightest by my touching his arm.

I had another student try to accuse me of hitting him but the entire altercation was caught on the hallway security cameras. Personally, with today's students I'd like to have security cameras in my room.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I had a student accuse me of grabbing him when what I did was block him during an altercation. His parents filed charges with the police but nothing has come of it. I figured it wouldn't. He was not hurt in the slightest by my touching his arm. .
From what I've learned teachers can't touch kids at all for any reason, but that's not realistic in many situations. I'd rather not work with kids because of the unreasonable rules and restrictions. I was going to go through a teacher certification program but I'm thinking now, it's not worth it. I wouldn't be paid enough to deal with unfounded accusations.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am a retired special education teacher and it happened to me, or staff in my classroom, on several occasions over the years. In one case the mother went to the police in the late evening because her child had a bruise on his back. She also called many neighbors and all of the parents of her child's classmates to accuse me of abusing her son. She also sent emails to people, accusing me by name (thankfully this was before social media). When I arrived at school in the morning I was greeted by my supervisor (the principal), his boss and his boss, two police officers and several other administrators. They had already been meeting and discussing the issue before I arrived. Imagine being blindsided like that..
That must have been awful. It takes a strong person to stand up to a situation like that, for sure. I definitely don't have what it takes for that. Being greeted by a police officer, who might arrest me, would shake me up. I was a volunteer GS troop leader for one year. I had a crazy mom in my troop, we wound up kicking her out. But the threats she made and stunts she pulled, made me realize I don't have what it takes to work with vindictive or angry parents. I took some courses towards SPED certification and one course was all about the issues that parents and families have with special needs kids. Sometimes they take these issues out on the teachers.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
From what I've learned teachers can't touch kids at all for any reason, but that's not realistic in many situations. I'd rather not work with kids because of the unreasonable rules and restrictions. I was going to go through a teacher certification program but I'm thinking now, it's not worth it. I wouldn't be paid enough to deal with unfounded accusations.
And kids know it. They hold all the cards.

I was told that touching during an incident started by the student was excusable but when the parents screamed they threw me under the bus. It's still easier to replace a teacher than deal with an angry parent. If I had done half of what he did and the teacher hauled off and slapped me my parents would have grabbed my by the ear and made me apologize to the teacher. As for getting hit they would have told me I had it coming.

I WISH they would put security cameras inside classrooms. I've known teachers whose careers were ruined by lying students who later recanted but it didn't matter. The damage was done.

I'm most likely done teaching. I MIGHT try a private school in the fall that needs a chemistry/physics teacher. MAYBE...if I don't find something else...and the stock market does poorly... I'm hoping I'd be treated better at a Christian school. I'll get paid a lot less but if I get treated like a human being that would be worth it. I'm hoping the stock market does well and I can find a stress free job that has benefits. I can start collecting social security in just over 3 year and that enough to pay for medical benefits for me and my daughter who is in school but she may have her own policy by then since she will be graduating. It's not so much the loss of my income as it is the loss of my income PLUS having to pay COBRA rates for insurance for myself and two adult daughters. One in school and one who just can't seem to figure out life.

I have to admit Walmart greeter would sound good if I could get insurance for my family after this year. I've been threatened by students and parents, coerced by admins, beaten over the head for things I have no control over and had charges filed against me. And they wonder why they can't keep teachers. The number who have quit in the last year is insane but admins don't seem to think they're doing anything wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching