U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 07:04 PM

2,596 posts, read 1,295,567 times

Advertisements

You thought hovering Helicopter Parents were bad? Check out the new breed of parental intervention, the Lawnmower Parent.

"Lawnmower parents go to whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 10,449,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
You thought hovering Helicopter Parents were bad? Check out the new breed of parental intervention, the Lawnmower Parent.

"Lawnmower parents go to whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure."
You think that's new?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:15 AM

And from The Rise of the Lawnmower Parent,

Other variations of this style of parenting include “Snowplow Parents,” “Bulldozer Parents,” and my personal favorite: “Curling Parents,” given the similarity to the Olympic athletes who scurry ahead of the gently thrown stone, frantically brushing a smooth path and guiding the stone towards an exact pre-determined location.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:47 AM

78,936 posts, read 70,745,369 times
IDK, I think this is just a variation of the bully-parent that's always been around; the Momzilla who will call the university office to bully the staff into letting said child into the program or dorm the child declined several offers to apply for, but later decided she really needed to get into (long after deadlines were over, semester already underway). The mother of a classmate of mine casually mentioned once, that her precious daughter was turned down from a study-abroad program, so Momzilla had to call the selection committee and bully them into dropping a deserving student, and accepting her daughter, because this was oh-so-important to Snowflake's future career as a high-powered professor. She told this story as if it were a perfectly normal thing to do: bully a selection committee into reversing a decision, so that a more deserving student already accepted to the program loses out, and Reject Snowflake gets in. In the end, Primadona Snowflake opted out of the brilliant career in academia everyone expected her to have, because she didn't want to leave town, where all her friends were.

OP, this kind of thing has gone on for many generations. Maybe it's becoming more common now? IDK. As university admin staff, I've been on the receiving end of one of those bully Momzillas, and I'm proud to say, I stood my ground. Students who willfully screw up need to take responsibility for that, and learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately, they often don't; they just blame the mean person who stood in their way.

Hey, I've got an idea for a hot new toy: Primadona Barbie, and Snowflake Barbie. There could also be Son-of-Privilege Ken. His accessory car would be a Jaguar.

I guess you struck a nerve. I'm looking forward to stories other members may post. I realize the linked story's a little different, because the student was meek, while Momzilla blazed a path for Totally Embarrassed Daughter. But still, the fact is that there have always been Momzillas harassing faculty, staff and administrators in academia and elsewhere, on behalf of their supposedly gifted kids.

OK, back to you, OP. /rant

Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 AM

10,314 posts, read 4,111,446 times
I agree it's gone on in the past, but it's this generation of parents who have necessitated a parent liaison office at universities.

Parents have always complained. But not to this degree, and this persistently.

On the other hand, it does make me angry that my kid's requests to schools/colleges have gone unheeded and it TOOK my intervention to get something done that he should have been allowed to resolve on his own. Why does it take mom saying the same exact words to get kids/college students the services they're entitled to?

(This comment only applies when the student is entitled to something, and is being arbitrarily denied it).

Old 09-03-2018, 12:38 PM

3,182 posts, read 4,646,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK, I think this is just a variation of the bully-parent that's always been around; the Momzilla who will call the university office to bully the staff into letting said child into the program or dorm the child declined several offers to apply for, but later decided she really needed to get into (long after deadlines were over, semester already underway). The mother of a classmate of mine casually mentioned once, that her precious daughter was turned down from a study-abroad program, so Momzilla had to call the selection committee and bully them into dropping a deserving student, and accepting her daughter, because this was oh-so-important to Snowflake's future career as a high-powered professor. She told this story as if it were a perfectly normal thing to do: bully a selection committee into reversing a decision, so that a more deserving student already accepted to the program loses out, and Reject Snowflake gets in. In the end, Primadona Snowflake opted out of the brilliant career in academia everyone expected her to have, because she didn't want to leave town, where all her friends were.

OP, this kind of thing has gone on for many generations. Maybe it's becoming more common now? IDK. As university admin staff, I've been on the receiving end of one of those bully Momzillas, and I'm proud to say, I stood my ground. Students who willfully screw up need to take responsibility for that, and learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately, they often don't; they just blame the mean person who stood in their way.

Hey, I've got an idea for a hot new toy: Primadona Barbie, and Snowflake Barbie. There could also be Son-of-Privilege Ken. His accessory car would be a Jaguar.

I guess you struck a nerve. I'm looking forward to stories other members may post. I realize the linked story's a little different, because the student was meek, while Momzilla blazed a path for Totally Embarrassed Daughter. But still, the fact is that there have always been Momzillas harassing faculty, staff and administrators in academia and elsewhere, on behalf of their supposedly gifted kids.

OK, back to you, OP. /rant

OUTSTANDING!!! You know what, this may not just be funny, but MARKETABLE. Quick, call the toy manufacturer and collect your check.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:50 PM

6,867 posts, read 3,733,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree it's gone on in the past, but it's this generation of parents who have necessitated a parent liaison office at universities.

Parents have always complained. But not to this degree, and this persistently.

On the other hand, it does make me angry that my kid's requests to schools/colleges have gone unheeded and it TOOK my intervention to get something done that he should have been allowed to resolve on his own. Why does it take mom saying the same exact words to get kids/college students the services they're entitled to?

(This comment only applies when the student is entitled to something, and is being arbitrarily denied it).
I agree it's not new. What I think is bringing it the forefront now however is the sheer cost of college. When you have to cut a very, very big check, you feel that does give you some say as the one paying the bills. Add to that the stakes are so much higher and the competition is so much stiffer now. I don't think parents see it as interfering so much as leveling the playing field.

The answer to your question on "why does it take mom...?" is that they know that mom is the one cutting that big check.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
OUTSTANDING!!! You know what, this may not just be funny, but MARKETABLE. Quick, call the toy manufacturer and collect your check.
Don't forget Barbie's mom, Varna (short for Husqvarna) Del Toro and her prop, a Lawnmower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or