Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 AM

152 posts, read 99,185 times

Advertisements

I was removed from student teaching...twice. The first time I had management issues but by the second go around I had improved significantly. The second time I was removed because I had put a student (who did NOT have an IEP) on the spot for not paying attention because he was "embarrassed." These kids are too coddled nowadays. I'm very young, my teachers in HS ALWAYS put us on the spot if we weren't paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Good things about teaching: Very fulfilling job, kids are (mostly) great, co-workers are (mostly) great, top-notch benefits, great sick/vacation time.

Bad things: Pay is pretty awful for what we do, parents can be despicable (though not as much as others seems to complain about IME), public doesn't respect you, and lots of time put in outside school hours getting stuff done that I'll never be compensated for.

I'm in my fifth year now (27 years old) and I think by 30 I'll have decided whether I want to leave for something else or really make this a 30+ year career. Money is a huge factor in this, especially considering I live in the very expensive Northeast Corridor where cost of living is going up far quicker then my yearly raises.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Good things about teaching: Very fulfilling job, kids are (mostly) great, co-workers are (mostly) great, top-notch benefits, great sick/vacation time.

Bad things: Pay is pretty awful for what we do, parents can be despicable (though not as much as others seems to complain about IME), public doesn't respect you, and lots of time put in outside school hours getting stuff done that I'll never be compensated for.

I'm in my fifth year now (27 years old) and I think by 30 I'll have decided whether I want to leave for something else or really make this a 30+ year career. Money is a huge factor in this, especially considering I live in the very expensive Northeast Corridor where cost of living is going up far quicker then my yearly raises.

That's actually a good plan. Around year 8-10 is when you get vested in the pension system and you have to decide whether leaving that is worth starting over (Maryland where I am doesn't vest until year 10 and our pension isn't anywhere near as good as PA)

Also keep in mind that while the general public thinks teaching is one of those transferable skills it really isn't. Moving to another school system many times means taking a significant pay cut if you stay in the classroom.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I got tired of the disrespect and left. I'm happy to say that after only 3 months in industry I got a raise that is bigger than the total of all the raises I got in 10 years of teaching. Imagine that. If you're good at what you do they actually pay you MORE.

Something interesting happened right after I left teaching. I had a doctor's appointment where the doctor asked my how my knee was doing. I said "Better since I have a job where I don't stand all day now". Then he asked what I was doing. I told him I was working as a technical writer. Then he did something he had never done in all the years I had been seeing him when I was teaching. He sat down and chatted with me about my job with genuine interest and respect for what I'm doing.

I wish I had been treated like a professional as a teacher but I wasn't. I'm glad I have that back.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:08 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I got out after teaching for only two years. I miss teaching and miss my students, but I don't miss dealing with parents or dealing with policies created by someone who has never stepped foot in a classroom.

Also, it's nice being able to go to lunch with coworkers, not having to take work home, and being treated like a professional.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I got out after teaching for only two years. I miss teaching and miss my students, but I don't miss dealing with parents or dealing with policies created by someone who has never stepped foot in a classroom.

Also, it's nice being able to go to lunch with coworkers, not having to take work home, and being treated like a professional.
Out of curiosity, what did you switch into?

Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you switch into?
Higher education. I worked briefly in the Registrar's Office and taught one class, but now I do more IT related work.

I like it because I get to interact with students and faculty on a regular basis.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Higher education. I worked briefly in the Registrar's Office and taught one class, but now I do more IT related work.

I like it because I get to interact with students and faculty on a regular basis.
Thanks for sharing!

I am still undecided as to whether I want to stay in teaching long-term, and it's always interesting to hear what others have switched into.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:58 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Cling to that joy.

I should have filmed it I guess.

Being honest, teaching can be a beat down. Most people can't handle it and suffer both mentally and physically. The amount of positive moments you face in a day pales to the amount of negative things, whether it's students or fellow teachers.

I wouldn't trade it in for any other job, but I can understand why many others do.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
I am enjoying my early retirement from teaching after 24 years. The first 8 years were great. After NCLB it all became a testing game with eventually every assessment, quiz and unit test tied to a tested standard and used as a predictor of student performance on the big test. Teaching was my second career and one of the reasons I left my first one was that we were constantly playing quarterly numbers games to show growth. Teaching turned into the same thing and sadly many of the kids were turned off by the constant testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching