Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:33 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

This article was recently in the Denver Post: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...83167199570690
It's about teachers with excessive numbers of tattoos.

I wondered what y'all thought of the topic.

Personally, I have become more settled about tattoos, but the example they gave of Nora Flanagan...well, it seems a little obsessive for a professional person.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:41 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
I teach with a lady who has almost that many tattoos... and I expect she will get to that level at some point. She is a really good teacher, much better than me I think.

The fact that the lady in the article has book themed tattoos is neat and appropriate for a teacher, obviously if her tattoos were offensive or inappropriate that would be another matter.

And I totally get why certain districts in more traditional areas might not hire teachers based on look, and I don't really have a problem with that either.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:00 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
You definitely don't see it in the conservative area where I live.

Even firefighters and police in my town are required to cover any visible tattoos.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
What I grew up, and as a teen, tattoos were just not the thing in the social circles around me. I'm just not into tattoos, personally. And, I don't understand the people that just get so many of them all over their body.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You definitely don't see it in the conservative area where I live.

Even firefighters and police in my town are required to cover any visible tattoos.
Do female teachers have to stop working when they are “in a family way” and “start to show”?

Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This article was recently in the Denver Post: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...83167199570690
It's about teachers with excessive numbers of tattoos.

I wondered what y'all thought of the topic.

Personally, I have become more settled about tattoos, but the example they gave of Nora Flanagan...well, it seems a little obsessive for a professional person.
I don't see having full sleeves as being any more 'obsessive' than not having any tattoos at all (I have no tattoos, but it would be odd to say that I'm 'obsessed' with not getting tattoos).

It seems to me that so long as the tattoos contain no overt offensive messages - ie, wherein the issue is not the tattoo but the message - then there should be no problem. Yet is there any doubt that some teachers (and people in other positions) have not been hired because of tattoos, and the potential employers then went on to hire less-qualified, less-talented individuals because they did not have visible tattoos? Talk about screw-up priorities.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
I've never seen a case of excessive tattoos not being an indicator of personality/psychology characteristics that I view as negative and don't care to be around.

It's no surprise to hear, however, that being covered with tattoos has wide acceptance today among millennials. A generation that embraces "gay marriage" will embrace anything and everything.

Tattoos will always be counter-culture.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've never seen a case of excessive tattoos not being an indicator of personality/psychology characteristics that I view as negative and don't care to be around.

It's no surprise to hear, however, that being covered with tattoos has wide acceptance today among millennials. A generation that embraces "gay marriage" will embrace anything and everything.

Tattoos will always be counter-culture.
Seriously? When I did my teaching internship 15 years ago there was a teacher who had a lot of visible tattoos. She was in her early 30s at the time so she’d probably be about 46-47 now. The school was in a suburban area that definitely had a combination of traditional and more progressive folks, but the students really seemed to respond well to her. I work in government now and there have been people with visible tattoos ranging in age from 20s (so late millennials) to what would be in their 60s now... I definitely don’t see it just as a millennial thing.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do female teachers have to stop working when they are “in a family way” and “start to show”?
No, but nice job being a ****.

You'll notice that I didn't say they CAN'T have tattoos, only that most don't. My town is a suburb of Nashville, which is a very creative city with TONS of tattooed folks. I know there are teachers here who have tattoos, but in my many visits to schools all over this area I've never seen a teacher with as many as the one in the article. But they are becoming more common.

And the firefighters and police here have tattoos. They just have to wear a sleeve over them while on duty.

Oh, and yes they wear shoes, in case you want to toss out any more stereotypes.

It's amazing what one word - conservative - did to jump start your snark this morning.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
I personally think that all tattoos are ugly. It's just part of fashion right now. It might have started out as counter-cultural, along with piercings, but like all fashion that catches on, mainstream people will adopt it too. When old people start copying the fashion of the young, the young will come up with something completely the opposite. I've seen plenty of seniors with tattoos and they were not biker types. One of them had a tattoo that said #1 Nana. When older people get new tattoos, they start out looking o.k. but when 18 year olds get tattoos and they leave them on until they become seniors on aging skin, they look pretty ratty. I've got no problem with teachers having tattoos, if that's their choice of fashion. It's no more distracting than my former high school teacher who had a collection of bright lime green jackets that he wore everyday to school. It's just the current style and we all know that styles come and go, just like big afros have made a comeback (which was also controversial for teachers in the 70s) and Mr. T hairstyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching