Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,074,655 times

Advertisements

This is the one subject I don't think I have EVER seen on this forum before: What are your opinions on public school teachers who send their own children to private schools? Do you think it's hypocritical? Why or why not? Personal stories and examples are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM

50,344 posts, read 23,925,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
This is the one subject I don't think I have EVER seen on this forum before: What are your opinions on public school teachers who send their own children to private schools? Do you think it's hypocritical? Why or why not? Personal stories and examples are welcome!
Well, to begin with, after 33 years in education, never saw that happen (although I'm sure it does).

What is the reason for the private education? I think that's a key question.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,658,375 times
Quote:
The only teachers I know who did this were a family where both parents taught and they could not afford to live in a decent town/neighborhood. They said it was cheaper to live in a neighborhood known for terrible schools and send their only child to private school. They were devout catholics, which may have also played a part.

I have, OTOH, known many private school teachers who sent their kids to public school. Is that hypocritical as well?

Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,208,506 times
Quote:
What's hypocritical about it? Why should teachers in large urban poorly managed school districts (I think there are some redundancies there) have their children penalized because the school board and administration do a lousy job?

You do realize, don't you, that the vast majority of factors that drive outcomes for public school students are completely out of teachers' control?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM

1,183 posts, read 701,089 times
Quote:

How is it hypocritical?
Do you think a bus driver who uses his car to drive about town himself is hypocritical.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,050,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
How is it hypocritical?
Do you think a bus driver who uses his car to drive about town himself is hypocritical.

Where is the hypocrisy?
^^^ All of this.

I know a few public school teachers that sent their children to a religiously-based private school. I know a private school teacher that sends his son to the local public elementary school because they're better able to serve the child's special education needs. I don't think any of these people are hypocritical at all.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,116,207 times
Quote:
I've known teachers who sent their children to religiously run schools, which are private schools. Send your children to school where you feel they will be educated as you would like. No problem.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:32 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,074,655 times
Geez...tough crowd!!! I was just trying to get some open conversation going on the topic, since it's a topic that comes up quite often in real life public school teacher circles. Especially among public school teachers who teach in rough, disadvantaged public school districts themselves.

I know one guy who is a public school principal and who obviously can afford private school tuition for his two kids, but says he would feel "guilty" and "like a hypocrite" if he sent his kids to private school (guess I should have clarified that before). Seems to me like he has seriously thought it about it and kind of wants to do it, but doesn't want to offend the teachers or the population that he works with. Just wanted to know what hundreds of teachers on an online TEACHER forum thought about it, that's all.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM

12,659 posts, read 8,879,910 times
I'm not a teacher and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but know a couple who do send their kids to private school. They're very open that the reason is quality of education is higher. They don't see the irony in advocating for a public school education for others kids while sending their own to private school. At least your friend the principal does.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,536,856 times
Absolutely. I know quite a few.

Teachers know better than anyone that you only get one chance to educate your child.

Many public schools have been so dumbed down in order to be sure everyone graduates that they are awful. (reduction of required classes, easier testing, relaxed class requirements, etc.) Also, the discipline issues in many of the public schools are astronomical.

Why would a public school teacher feel bad about sending their child to private school if they knew it would mean a better education for their child?

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 01-09-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching