Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:28 PM

50 posts, read 37,731 times

Advertisements

In previous threads I had mentioned that my daughter is trying to get a special ed job in a highly competitive market here in NE Ohio. She has been subbing but it is almost impossible to break in.

But lately, she has come very close. These are the incidents: After making it to two very good interviews, the principal called her the Monday after her last interview on that Friday. She was driving and pulled into her destination and returned his phone call less than a minute later. He never returned the phone call and she called him again at the end of the week.

Another very good interview before this, her references (building principals, teachers) let her know that they gave her a glowing reference when they where called, but not job offer.

Finally, and this one really takes the cake. Daughter was contacted the other day by an excellent district to come in for an emergency long term sub. Their teacher needed immediate, emergency surgery. Daughter had never applied to this district and the job was not even posted, so someone sent her name along I suppose. The interview was excellent (with the assistant superintendent.) It lasted over 45 minutes and at the end of it he said he wanted to hire her immediately but had to run it by (whoever they need to in a public school.) He gave her all the paperwork, including a W2 and said if she could get out of working her job (at a retail store) sometime next week to start. She said that the store she works for knows that the kids are college grads looking for jobs and are very accommodating. She had to ask to start late for her retail job since she had been scheduled to work and this job had unexpectedly called her. Anyway, the super said he would call daugher that afternoon. Well, that came and went. It is a holiday week-end and the job starts on Wed. So far, nothing and I don't think she will hear.

Anyone have any insight as to what may be happening in these situations? I told her most likely that someone else know someone else and they got the job. But the last one especially is especially gut wrenching. You would think they would have the professional decency to drop her an e-mail at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Don't expect professionalism from many of today's administrators. Plus, for many, once they've interviewed someone that goes into the mental Out Box.

For the last, since she received the hired paperwork, that she's been hired although she should nail that down Tuesday.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Well, the super said that he would call her that afternoon and never did. He had mentioned that he needed board approval (or whatever kind) but it should be a go. Since he never called, we are assuming that for whatever reason she did not get the job.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:43 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertybelle76 View Post
Well, the super said that he would call her that afternoon and never did. He had mentioned that he needed board approval (or whatever kind) but it should be a go. Since he never called, we are assuming that for whatever reason she did not get the job.
She still needs to call to confirm.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I think she should submit the paperwork to him, as she was asked to do. That way, she'll be in a position to get a response, whether yay or nay. If she just rolls over and dies at this point, shrugging off the "ghosting" the administrator gave her, she'll never know what happened.

She was asked to fill out paperwork and turn it in, so she should do that. That will force a response. She might even submit it in person, so she can talk to the admin's secretary, to find out if the job is still open. You can sometimes get some good inside info from people's secretaries, you'd be surprised.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Yes I guess she can fill out the paperwork and bring it in. He had initially asked if she could get out of her job next week. So it would be pretty bad if they pull the job offer or whatever and she cancelled her job for them.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
Update??

Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
The board usually votes at the next board meeting after you are hired to vote to accept the names submitted to them.

Either way, sounds like the bs I went to when I was trying to get a job. Most of the time, the principals already have someone in the pipeline and just waste your time because they have a quota (usually interview 3) to meet so they don't get in trouble.

It's not her. It's just the way the system is played these days

Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The board usually votes at the next board meeting after you are hired to vote to accept the names submitted to them.

Either way, sounds like the bs I went to when I was trying to get a job. Most of the time, the principals already have someone in the pipeline and just waste your time because they have a quota (usually interview 3) to meet so they don't get in trouble.

It's not her. It's just the way the system is played these days
As a former principal, there were times I "already [had] someone in the pipeline", but that didn't mean they always ended up getting the job.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Well lo and behold. While the supe never called (like he said he would), his secretary called Tuesday am and said to please submit the paperwork. She got the long term sub. How I don't know. She's been trying very hard for the past two years and nothing perm but lots of subbing. The funny and mysterious thing is, she NEVER applied to this district and the job was not even posted. No idea how on earth this happened but she's happy for the experience and who knows, maybe a little bit more luck will come her way that's not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching