Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times

Advertisements

"I want to stay in here because I have no friends."
Despite the sad parts of that, how do I kick her out of my classroom during lunch diplomatically? Looking for some good hints from you all.
Today was the first day of this, and I want it to be the last, not being a jerk, but also trying to push her back into the high school lunch world, or at least ease her back in.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
"I want to stay in here because I have no friends."
Despite the sad parts of that, how do I kick her out of my classroom during lunch diplomatically? Looking for some good hints from you all.
Today was the first day of this, and I want it to be the last, not being a jerk, but also trying to push her back into the high school lunch world, or at least ease her back in.....
Can you leave your classroom at the lunch hour and lock the door...and go to the teachers' lounge, for example?

If this is a possibility, a few days of this might do the trick. Granted, it might not be what you want to do on a regular basis but if it solves the problem.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Warning!!!

I would be very weary of "Bullying" risk and would not turn that student out to the wolves.

There are ways to mitigate, and best to resolve rather than prolong the solution for that risk.

Just one of many possibilities, but I would not ignore the warning signs from a HS kid. Can be catastrophic.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:12 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Do you know a kind student that you could get to befriend her for the lunch break? Some schools even have anti-bullying clubs/groups that might can help.

Please don't just abandon her. At least find out if she is being bullied or if there is another reason for her not having friends.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
At my high school, there was a group of friendless kids who ate sack lunches in the library and then helped shelve books. They viewed themselves as "library aides", but really, they were protected there.

There must be at least a couple other students who are all alone, and hate the stigma of eating by themselves.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Check with your SPED teachers; they may have a group of students who actually volunteer & train to help with socially isolated sped students.

They are based on PEERS (The Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) as an intervention for students with Autism but I've always wondered if it could help with bullying issues for neurotypical kids as well.

Safety in numbers, you know? The peer advocates here in the M.S.s & H.S.s are a great group of kids. Maybe they could casually start inviting her to the cafeteria?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
You should talk to your administrator, a dean, or school counselor. They likely know the student, and what social-emotional issues they are facing and can help navigate this situation.

I disagree with the method suggested in post #2. Locking the student out of your classroom does not help the student. The teachers I know would cringe at that suggestion or the thought of just kicking out a student without helping them.

Last edited by HokieFan; 02-12-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
OP here. Was good to see her at lunch, hanging out with three other girls. Might have been just a bad day.
I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks all

Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM

211 posts, read 117,936 times
I tell kids, I usually have 5-7 kids want to stay each day, that I have a meeting to go to. They're kids, they'll just accept that answer and move on. Most days I don't mind though.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
Are you two opposite sex? ( I guess that doesn't matter so much these days)

I wouldn't want a female student alone with me in a classroom during lunch. Just saying how it "could" look, let alone what could turn against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching