Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 11:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times

Advertisements

As I expected, Becky, you failed to comprehend my point.

I apologize for my statement implying that you do not have a place at the table in evaluating the public education system, but I stand behind the remainder of my comments. It is extremely frustrating to read your continual and universal condemnation of public schools, knowing that right here in my neighborhood is an elementary that does a fantastic job of educating its students. Frankly, it's head and shoulders above a very expensive private school my children attended a few years ago. Furthermore, I am absolutely certain of the quality because I volunteer daily, so I'm fully aware of what happens in the classroom.

BTW, my neighborhood elementary school does, in fact, teach cursive during the first month of fourth grade, and students use it exclusively for assignments from then on; however, I introduced it early to my kids because they are left-handed and prone to flip letters when printing. Cursive writing helped them overcome the problem. While I don't think it's necessarily preferable to teach cursive any earlier than fourth grade, I do agree that it's important for children to master it before they enter middle school.

Regarding left-handers and cursive, I don't believe that left-handers generally have any trouble learning cursive. Two of my grandparents were left-handed, and both of them wrote exquisitely. I think the major issue for left-handed writers is hand position. Proper positioning is essential no matter which hand you use to write.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-19-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 PM

268 posts, read 453,950 times
I wasn't aware left-handers had an issue learning cursive. Only problem I encountered was smearing graphite all over my hand, but that happens with print and cursive. I just use pen instead (bics only, heavier ink smears too). Used to drive my teachers bonkers though Sorry if I double posted, but my last didn't seem to go through. Not sure if it will show up later or not.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 PM

430 posts, read 919,265 times
I echo mbuszu and tada, however, probably school administrators could consider to make it available if demand justifies it.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I wasn't aware left-handers had an issue learning cursive. Only problem I encountered was smearing graphite all over my hand, but that happens with print and cursive. I just use pen instead (bics only, heavier ink smears too). Used to drive my teachers bonkers though Sorry if I double posted, but my last didn't seem to go through. Not sure if it will show up later or not.
I don't think they do for the most part. The smearing problem can be cured with a change in the position of both hand and paper.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I don't think they do for the most part. The smearing problem can be cured with a change in the position of both hand and paper.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of lefties that write "sideways". I can do that, but it's really awkward. Using a pen, for me, is the easiest solution.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:31 PM

I understand. My MIL brought back a positioning mat from a trip to England for my daughter when she was just learning how to write. It helped tremendously!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Awesome. It's looking like my son might be left handed (he's 16 months old), but usually eats with his left, plays with his cars, and a number of other things with his left. I bookmarked that page, thanks for the link!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
My mother taught me cursive over the winter break when I was in 1st grade because I was bored and driving her crazy. I started using it when I returned to school and the teacher promptly sent my mother a note home telling her I was too young to be using cursive ... lol. In third grade they began teaching it, and our teacher showed us a box of pens he had bought. When you passed the cursive test, you received a pen, and were allowed to begin doing your homework in ink. He handed the first round of tests out and I returned it to his desk within a few minutes - I wanted that pen so darned bad! I still handwrite notes to family and friends and always use cursive. It just seems like such a basic skill to me, regardless of the technology-rich world we live in today. I believe it has a place in education as much today as it did yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I could figure it out faster in my head so I'm hoping this works for them as well so they aren't the idoit at the fabric store who can't multiple $1.98 by three
Stellar examples of why you should consider posting less and reading more.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 12-21-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Exclamation Warning: off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Awesome. It's looking like my son might be left handed (he's 16 months old), but usually eats with his left, plays with his cars, and a number of other things with his left. I bookmarked that page, thanks for the link!
You're very welcome. That company also makes a great pair of left-handed scissors, real left-handed scissors with the blades set opposite of traditional pairs. When my kids were really young, we bought a couple dozen or so of them and passed them around to teachers to keep on hand for students who needed them.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
You're very welcome. That company also makes a great pair of left-handed scissors, real left-handed scissors with the blades set opposite of traditional pairs. When my kids were really young, we bought a couple dozen or so of them and passed them around to teachers to keep on hand for students who needed them.
That was very kind of you! When I was in school the lefties were constantly fighting for the very few pairs of lefthanded scissors in the classroom. The world has been cruel to lefties for far too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching