U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 AM

517 posts, read 1,201,020 times
I think kids should be taught both and then it's up to them what they use.

In NJ we still teach cursive in 3rd grade. Some of my kids write nicer in Cursive. I think it should required through elementary school and then it's their choice.

I choose when I write with either one. Depends on what I'm writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 AM

605 posts, read 1,471,129 times
Knoxville, TN teaches printing in the Donilion style that is a hybrid of print and cursive. Cursive writing begins the last half of 2nd grade. I'm glad they still teach it. I had heard that areas of SC and KY quit teaching cursive. I have high school students who can't read cursive or sign their name in cursive. Cursive writing should still be taught.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 AM

620 posts, read 1,268,762 times
The reason that cursive is not being taught in NUMEROUS schools is because of the standards. In SC the standards for writing is that it needs to be legible. ( Standards are required for NCLB.)

I agree cursive writing should still be taught,however the reason it is not is because emphasis is placed on STANDARDS in schools.

While I agree that it should still be taught, why can't a parent teach it? Why should it be up to the teachers to do it? If you want your child to learn something not being taught in school, then you should take the initiative to help your child learn it. ( JM0) A parent could make it fun for a child without pressure.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 27,406 times
I wholeheartedly agree. If you do not something being omitted in your schools curriculum then take it upon yourself to rectify the situation and teach it yourself.
If you have not already take your concern up with the administration, the people who can actually get things changed--by administration I mean the superintendent of schools, not just the principal.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM

15,653 posts, read 10,557,370 times
Or parents could use sentence writing as a form of punishment and ask their children to do it in cursive. Worked for our family and my children have nice hand writing as a bonus.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
Post Sheesh

Listen to me, homeschool your children!!! Its better for them because you can teach them at home and if you dont have time for them you do not deserve to be a parent!
I recommend CAVA,K12 because if you worry about your childrens 'social life' there are group activities where you talk about whatever and your child or children will meet new people!But if you have a job and are single tough luck

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknown View Post
Listen to me, homeschool your children!!! Its better for them because you can teach them at home and if you dont have time for them you do not deserve to be a parent!
I recommend CAVA,K12 because if you worry about your childrens 'social life' there are group activities where you talk about whatever and your child or children will meet new people!But if you have a job and are single tough luck
Do you homeschool your children? If so, please get someone else to teach them punctuation, grammar, and basic English skills.

Also, simply because someone does not have the time (or the ability to go without an income) in order to homeschool their children does NOT make them unworthy of being a parent.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,504,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
At my daughter's high school she can't even take a basic keyboarding class (due to funding, apparently)...which makes all those new computers at her disposal rather ridiculous.

No, many schools do not stress (or teach) cursive writing, penmanship, spelling, basic math skills, or anything else deemed too outside the realm of technology. Who needs good handwriting or spelling when you can simply use Spell Check and utilize a pretty font? And why bother learning multiplication or division when the teacher demands the kids use a calculator?

Then again, she isn't being taught anything not found on the state's compulsory and idiotic annual test. Same situation here in Indiana as it was back in Washington state.

For the record, her cursive is appalling.

Our educational system disgusts me.

Along with not learning how to write, lack of basic math, and spelling, the young people of today do not know how to speak properly either.

I started watching the "John Adams" series last night, and thought if by any chance a history teacher would show this to the students, most would not have a clue regarding what they were speaking about.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,504,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeemom View Post
I remember a newspaper article looking at the new SAT essay section and those that were written in cursive had a higher score than those that were printed. One theory floated was that the more flowing nature of pen to paper in cursive was related to fluidity of thought and the ability to link ideas. Disclosure: former catholic student myself!

I think you have got something there.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 8 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,652,761 times
I had a debate about cursive a while ago and we came to the conclusion that the only practical reason for writing in cursive historically speaking was to keep the pen moving so the ink would not make blobs on the Parchment, Just try to print with pen and ink and you will see what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching