Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have completed my Masters in Human Resources Development Psychology in India 3 yrs ago and then i worked as a recruiter . I got married recently and now am in Claymont ( DE)

I am on a H4 visa where in am not legally permitted to work for another 2- 3 yrs . Hence I was looking for a opportunity to do a second Masters in Early Childhood Education .

I was told in the community college that i need not do a masters in Education as i already hold a masters degree However i need to write a test to be a qualified teacher.

Now my question is WHAT is the test that i have to write and how do i prepare for it ??

More over since am on H4 I am not able to find any scholarship / funding programs . Do ppl on this visa have any such programs ??

Can anyone give me more clarity on this ?? I know little abt the US education system

Last edited by Bo; 02-14-2011 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Moved from About the Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
You don't write any test/s. You need to go to a college that has a school of education and get a teaching degree/certified to teach in an area/s of specialization.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita.khal View Post
Hi

I have completed my Masters in Human Resources Development Psychology in India 3 yrs ago and then i worked as a recruiter . I got married recently and now am in Claymont ( DE)

I am on a H4 visa where in am not legally permitted to work for another 2- 3 yrs . Hence I was looking for a opportunity to do a second Masters in Early Childhood Education .

I was told in the community college that i need not do a masters in Education as i already hold a masters degree However i need to write a test to be a qualified teacher.

Now my question is WHAT is the test that i have to write and how do i prepare for it ??

More over since am on H4 I am not able to find any scholarship / funding programs . Do ppl on this visa have any such programs ??

Can anyone give me more clarity on this ?? I know little abt the US education system
Every state has different requirements. I do not have an education degree but I got a Biological Sciences certificate using my nursing degree. In Oklahoma, I had to take a general education requirement exam- which basically proves that you can read, write, do intermediate level math, and exercise a little common sense. I also had to take my content area exam.

Having said that- Please, please, PLEASE use your education to do something other than teaching in public schools. Our kids need good teachers, but public education is probably not the type of "professional" environment you are prepared for. I think with your background, you will be disappointed. I am everyday.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You don't write any test/s. You need to go to a college that has a school of education and get a teaching degree/certified to teach in an area/s of specialization.
Not true. Certain states have Alternative Certification to recruit teachers from other professions.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Every state has different requirements. I do not have an education degree but I got a Biological Sciences certificate using my nursing degree. In Oklahoma, I had to take a general education requirement exam- which basically proves that you can read, write, do intermediate level math, and exercise a little common sense. I also had to take my content area exam.

Having said that- Please, please, PLEASE use your education to do something other than teaching in public schools. Our kids need good teachers, but public education is probably not the type of "professional" environment you are prepared for. I think with your background, you will be disappointed. I am everyday.
WOW--what a sad, sad post. If you are disappointed every day, just think what comes through to your students? Maybe a career change is in order?

BTW, Owasso High School has a great marching band

OP, in our state you would need a degree in your area of teaching, pass a state test and get licensed to teach. With your background you would not be able to teach here. A degree in early childhood education would be one you could get. We have an extensive early childhood program in our state. You would just have to move to Minnesota.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Not true. Certain states have Alternative Certification to recruit teachers from other professions.

We're speaking in generalities. Also consider the fact that the core classes for her degree do not translate to K-12 subject matter. Someone with a MS in chemistry has a better shot at alternative licensure than someone with a MA in HR.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WOW--what a sad, sad post. If you are disappointed every day, just think what comes through to your students? Maybe a career change is in order?

BTW, Owasso High School has a great marching band

OP, in our state you would need a degree in your area of teaching, pass a state test and get licensed to teach. With your background you would not be able to teach here. A degree in early childhood education would be one you could get. We have an extensive early childhood program in our state. You would just have to move to Minnesota.
Uhhhh yeah. I've posted to this forum before about a career change. It's definitely in the works and this will be my last year teaching. Having said that- I am an incredible actress and many of my students claim my class is their favorite. You don't have to love your job to be a good teacher. You just gotta play the game.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
We're speaking in generalities. Also consider the fact that the core classes for her degree do not translate to K-12 subject matter. Someone with a MS in chemistry has a better shot at alternative licensure than someone with a MA in HR.
True. I'm looking at it through a secondary perspective where only one or two focused subjects could be taught from a particular cert. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching