Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Education class: teachers, master, grade, art stores, children.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Podcasts and iMovies are done at school.....
I see. Times have changed since my kids were in ele school (10 yrs since the last one).

Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
If I am forced to pay into a school that I don't approve of-- whether my child attends it or not-- then the government is limiting my choice by that amount of money. Vouchers eliminate that.

If the government waves the tax for school for me to educate my child as I please, then I have a natural freedom of choice.

However, if the government taxes a third party and gives you some of their tax money to educate your child without giving me an equal share, then your child is advantaged by the oppression of the third party over mine. Whereas, if we are given equal shares, we are both oppressing the third party, as is the case with vouchers.
So you think you should get a tax refund if you don't like the brand of fire engines or police cars your city uses??? Maybe we should give you a rebate and you go buy your own police and fire services.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
So you think you should get a tax refund if you don't like the brand of fire engines or police cars your city uses??? Maybe we should give you a rebate and you go buy your own police and fire services.
An appropriately sized tax rebate for a fire-sprinkler system and alarm system would be comparable. Beyond that, the differences are the number of ways to put out a fire is pretty limited. However, a child can be educated in many ways. The police have limited involvement in my family's life. The school is a large chunk of our lives.

The analogy doesn't fit suitably for this application.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Default Attention posters on this thread

I believe the discussion has strayed from the OP. The "hijack" is certainly one that expresses passionate opinions from both sides, and for some, may be valid converstions. However, City-Data isn't a chat room, so before personal attacks become hard-hitting, it's my suggestion that either the conversation ends or it's taken to Direct Messaging for private debates.

mawipafl
moderator Education

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 AM

119 posts, read 552,136 times
Default Summer's almost here...

I was able to read page 1,2 and then skipped to this last page. If this has been said, please forgive me.

First, I share your pain. I have three children as well. I am also a second grade teacher. My pain may be a bit different, however, as I am hoping the projects my child has submitted will be met by the teacher with a huge sigh of relief and pride that all she has taught my child will be reflected in my child's work.

Now for the 'teacher' response: I do not assign homework to parents. My preference is to see what has been done by your child (also, if done!) so that I can tailor tomorrow's lesson around your child's understanding of the subject matter.

That being said, perhaps a little "teaching" will enlighten you! In assigning these projects we are assessing several things. 1. his/her ability to follow instructions independently 2. the ability to assimilate classroom instruction into a tangible outcome 3. age appropriate as well as continued development of hand coordination 4. ability to organize and execute several steps.

Hope that helps a little at least! Most of us teachers are not expecting an expensive project that looks like the parents did it, and if I get one that does...I will call you. If you are not sure what is expected, please call. It shows you care.

Next time, although you may have already done this, just be there for your child from planning to execution. Here is an example:
Start by helping (not doing) your child come up with a 'calendar of events' that will get his/her through the project. Have him stick to it!
First, sit down with your child and read the assignment. Ask him what his understanding of this assignment (goal=understanding assignment) and write it on an index card (goal=assimilation of assignment)
Next, work with your child on brainstorming about the project and write it down on index cards (goal= being able to put words into action).
Then, help your child organize index cards into some kind of order (goal=ability to organize).
Help your child brainstorm what kinds of materials he will need to complete this. Feel free to limit to what is already available in the house vs buying. (goal=creativity) An extra benefit is setting a financial limit which will also teach about money. (goal=cross curriculum education)Second to last, have your child draw what it is they want their finished project to look like (planning to execution).
Last, let your child complete the project. Offer encouragement that will boost his self-esteem while also teaching independence.

Your child (speaking generically here) takes huge pride and joy in being able to complete a sizable project like this on his/her own. With this in mind, my last suggestion is to take a picture of the pride in their face as they hold it up to you... it is their masterpiece. Put picture in their memory box so that when they come to you as a young adult saying; "Mom, I got that promotion at work I was hoping for!!!", you can stick that picture in a 'congratulations on your promotion' card and write "I knew you would."

Happy Mother's Day!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
After page 2 I didn't keep reading; it was just too....much. So I don't know if this point was brought up.....I have many parents that are unable to do the academics...either because they don't speak English...or because they are uneducated themselves. So when the child brings home..."regular" homework-the kind that doesn't consist of all the work and creating, the parents are unable to help the children with it. However, if it's more of a project...the parents that usually can't help, feel more secure that they are able to do it, and actually want to do it.

Or for the children who just don't do homework- that's the one time homework does get done- is when it is a project.

Just trying to reach all different situations.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,487 times
I haven't read all the posts but we moved from the UK eight months ago and my 7th and 5th grader love doing the practical and creative projects. They didn't get to do that kind of work in the UK, they love going to the craft shops or seeing what we can salvage from magazines and newspapers etc. They put their 'all' into the project and are very proud of the results. I don't think they feel like it is 'work'. It is another fun way to learn. I've got four kids and find time to help mine with their projects. I'm not super-mom but it means a lot to my kids.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
It sounds like teachers have to 'dumb down' the curriculum to enable the "slow" parents to "help" their kids. I don't buy that. Smacks of condescension as well.

According to that last post, parents these days are not educated enough to help their kids with 'the academics', so now teachers are assigning "projects" to encourage the parents' sense of accomplishment so as not to be reminded of what they themselves are ignorant of - because now they can help their kids do the kids' homework? That is beyond bogus.

If my son gets an assignment, I expect him to be able to complete it without my intervention. If he needs me to explain the concept, I will gladly do so - but I am not going to do it for him. If he still doesn't get it, then I am putting in a call to the teacher, or I tell him to talk to the teacher and review until he "gets it". FWIW, he's had his share of cruddy treachers, but the better part have been good or even fantastic.

Oh, and that whole language thing? I am a first generation American - and my parents happened to speak many languages, none of which were Spanish, so they didn't have the PRIVILEGE of on-site interpreters, every letter and document sent home with Spanish text on the flip side, ESL classes, etc. I started kindergarten without knowing a lick of English, and was not given any special concessions or resources. It took me about 6 weeks to "catch up" to the others in language skills, and by the end of the school year I had passed the entire class in academic achievement. Not speaking English in the home is not a hindrance - it is a boon. Children who learn to speak multiple languages at an early age are arguably at an advantage to their English-only peers.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
A big problem in our school is that many of the parents actually DO the projects, the kids get A's, and those students that obviously had no help, get B's or less. There's a lot of competition in our school. And to top it off, one parent is an artist, and another one makes stuffed toys and puppets, so those without talent aren't much help anyway.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
A big problem in our school is that many of the parents actually DO the projects, the kids get A's, and those students that obviously had no help, get B's or less. There's a lot of competition in our school. And to top it off, one parent is an artist, and another one makes stuffed toys and puppets, so those without talent aren't much help anyway.
And we're all surprised that kids at school have to deal with bullies and "mean girls" when the environment they are in fosters the comptetiveness and division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching