Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 09:00 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

We were participating in a zoom call recently and one member of the group mentioned that she was the secretary for a non profit and as such took the meeting notes. She indicated that she typed the notes as the meeting was going on. I personally can't takes notes as I scribble things down so as not to miss them and then I can't read my own writing. Another mentioned that she does notes in short hand. Gregg as opposed to Pitman. We were talking about how the world has changed with technology and the following questions came up.

Does anyone still teach shorthand?
If so where?
IF not when did it stop?
Does anyone get called in to "take dictation?

We had a good laugh about how old we were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 03:06 PM

315 posts, read 255,953 times
We had a secretary at our district office that took meeting notes in shorthand. Was the craziest looking thing. She retired maybe 3-4 years ago.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:25 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Shorthand was my favorite subject - I could write over 140 wpm back in the day. I haven't used it in years, but did have jobs where it was used every day. It does seem to me that it may be a dying skill since people can now dictate whatever they want via voice recognition on the computer and don't need a secretary to take down their comments verbatim.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:32 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Shorthand pretty much fell out of style along with secretaries themselves when the personal computer started popping up on everyone's desk.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:42 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I still use some of the shorthand notation, although not a lot of it. I used to get called-in for dictation in the late 70s-early 80s. I suspect no one is doing that these days!

There are YouTube videos if you are interested in learning Gregg Shorthand.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...regg+shorthand

Old 05-20-2022, 10:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We were participating in a zoom call recently and one member of the group mentioned that she was the secretary for a non profit and as such took the meeting notes. She indicated that she typed the notes as the meeting was going on. I personally can't takes notes as I scribble things down so as not to miss them and then I can't read my own writing. Another mentioned that she does notes in short hand. Gregg as opposed to Pitman. We were talking about how the world has changed with technology and the following questions came up.

Does anyone still teach shorthand?
If so where?
IF not when did it stop?
Does anyone get called in to "take dictation?

We had a good laugh about how old we were.
I went to a secretarial school in 1978. The school is now a 2-year college. We were promised free lifetime brushup courses in typing and Gregg shorthand. Wonder what would happen if I showed up and demanded that!

I still use it for taking notes, but it's mixed with regular letters.

I did take dictation for the first few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching