Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Judging by the outrage expressed by some on this thread towards teachers, I'd have to conclude that there are lots of parents who a very hostile towards their children's schools.

This teacher was ARRESTED for an act of concern and kindness. An act that caused no harm whatsoever. Yet there are numerous posts here supporting this gestapo-like approach. Many have expressed anger over the "potential" for harm in their hypothetical "what if" situations. But that's just the point. There WAS no harm done.

Ask yourselves if you should be ARRESTED by the police for driving legally, because you could "potentially" have been drinking. Or maybe you "might" cause an accident a mile down the road.

For the love of Pete, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Judging by the outrage expressed by some on this thread towards teachers, I'd have to conclude that there are lots of parents who a very hostile towards their children's schools.

This teacher was ARRESTED for an act of concern and kindness. An act that caused no harm whatsoever. Yet there are numerous posts here supporting this gestapo-like approach. Many have expressed anger over the "potential" for harm in their hypothetical "what if" situations. But that's just the point. There WAS no harm done.

Ask yourselves if you should be ARRESTED by the police for driving legally, because you could "potentially" have been drinking. Or maybe you "might" cause an accident a mile down the road.

For the love of Pete, people.
You keep comparing apples to oranges. I don't dislike teachers. I am a teacher. We have a responsibility to our students and that responsibility includes not overstepping our boundaries. We can suggest that they eat an adequate breakfast or take vitamins and then it is the parent's job to follow through, not ours. These were third grade students and he gave them an adult vitamin. There was also a policy in place that stated teachers could not dispense medicine. When you choose to break rules, then you should accept the punishment outlined.

To ask if we would have a child arrested for sharing food is ludicrous and not even in the ballpark. Children may not know how to behave responsibly. Adults, particularly those that we entrust with our children daily, should either act responsibly or suffer the consequences.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Can people seriously not see the difference between giving a child a tissue and giving them a vitamin (and in this case, CHILDREN were given ADULT vitamins)? For a teacher not to understand the difference worries me.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Can people seriously not see the difference between giving a child a tissue and giving them a vitamin (and in this case, CHILDREN were given ADULT vitamins)? For a teacher not to understand the difference worries me.
The problem is that it is not about us seeing the difference. All it takes is _one_ person to complain about a student being given something they don't want them to be given and it results in us being fired/arrested/etc. There is no clear line as to what can and cannot be given, so the only safe option is to not give anything.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
As sad as it is, I will have to tell my students and parents at the start of the year that nothing (pencils, paper, tape, band aids, tissues, paper towels, etc.) will be made available.
Think of the money you'll save.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Think of the money you'll save.
Although I realize you said this in jest, it really is sad that there are probably school officials out there that actually do feel this way.

I think this is probably a bad week for me to be involved in this discussion, as I have been pretty depressed about what is happening to this profession. Hopefully this summer will let me recharge and I can figure out the best way to still let my students blow their noses in class without myself risking a trip to jail.

Last edited by 9/9; 06-01-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: used the word "really" too many times

Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
The problem is that it is not about us seeing the difference. All it takes is _one_ person to complain about a student being given something they don't want them to be given and it results in us being fired/arrested/etc. There is no clear line as to what can and cannot be given, so the only safe option is to not give anything.
Actually, the line is very clear. Aren't tissues on the supply list and bandaids dispensed by the school nurse? It's really a moot point either way as I doubt there is a strict "no tissue" policy at your school, but I'm relatively sure the "no meds" policy has been around for a long time.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,034 times
I think we should just have the teacher sit in front of a video recorder so the students can watch him/her on the TV at home. That way the students don't have to subject themselves to pollen (an allergy nightmare) or other students with a contagious sickness. Also, PE causes anxiety for some... we should scratch that off the list too. Obesity is a popular trend nowadays anyway.

Sarcasm aside... no, nevermind. That's actually all I wanted to contribute to this because there's really no convincing anyone.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM
9/9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Actually, the line is very clear. Aren't tissues on the supply list and bandaids dispensed by the school nurse? It's really a moot point either way as I doubt there is a strict "no tissue" policy at your school, but I'm relatively sure the "no meds" policy has been around for a long time.
I just checked the handbook. The official word is "no medication or drugs (prescription or otherwise), which are defined as substances used to alter the bodies behavior or to otherwise enhance physical or mental well-being, are to be given to students by anyone other than the school nurse or other medical persons designated by the school and/or district".

Given that the definition does not state anywhere that the substance has to be taken internally, I would say that both band aids and tissue would fit the definition as presented. Not to mention that there are plenty of things that a teacher could do to get fired/arrested that are not formally written out in school policy.

As I said before, it is ridiculous to be considering this, but there are plenty of ridiculous things out there in the world these days.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM

I would be far more concerned that the parents of your students might find out that you are categorizing a piece of paper as a drug/medicine. That would not inspire confidence at all!

Taken directly from Merrick-Moore's website

Supplies for 3rd graders include...
[SIZE=3]Classroom shared[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 box facial tissue[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 roll paper towels[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ø[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]1 bottle hand sanitizer (Large – no personal size, please)[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching