Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times

Advertisements

First Point:
Comparatively speaking, police and firefighters in austin start out at 80k a year. Both of these work shift work. So in terms of TIME worked compared to teachers it works out about the same perhaps a couple weeks longer. So yeah teachers make less than other professions. Difference is they gotta pay for college too. How much less do teachers make? Starting 40k in the local area.

Second point:
Police and firefighters are important professions in any community or society. However, when you call the cops are they really coming to save ur life or just clean up the mess and collect evidence by the time they show up? Firefighters, their work is hazardous and they are usually the first EMTs on scene, but with regard to putting out fires thats to protect surrounding property from burning. The first house is already toast.

Third point:
Teachers dont get paid by the child. If they were paid like professionals or like private companies, or private schools, then they would. For instance, look at how much day care "learning centers" are paid. Each parent or family has to pay a monthly cost for each child enrolled. When I was paying for my kid, it was 600 per month for five years. If this were the case in public ed, for a class of 30 the teacher would get 18000 per month. So, parents with multiple children would have to pay separately for each of their kids. How much would that cost a family each month with four kids? So, right now it doesnt matter if u got one kid or thirteen kids in the system everybody shares the burden/cost of paying for them to attend public schools.

Last Point:
Do you want teachers to work year round? If so, it will cost tax payers more than the 180 days they are getting paid for as it stands now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
Excellent point! That must be challenging. I wonder why it's such a female dominated profession. Male teachers are critical to the education system as well.
1) For the same reason there are more female daycare workers, females are more likely to be drawn to a profession where you spend all day basically with only children. Notice that the higher in grade level you go, the more males there are.

2) The pay. While it is a livable wage in most places, you'll never rise above the middle class on just a teacher's salary.

3) The lack of esteem the profession receives.

4) It's not traditional for males since it became female dominated during the 20th century. Who knows, that may change during the 21st century.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki H View Post
Excellent point! That must be challenging. I wonder why it's such a female dominated profession. Male teachers are critical to the education system as well.
One reason I chose the upper grades:
After I graduated from college and began substitute teaching, I was called to take a kindergarten class for two weeks while the teacher was on jury duty. The kids were immediately enamored with me, being a young male. Every time a bell would ring to signal yet another recess, they would all rush up to try to be the ones holding my hands. After a day or two, I began putting my arms up whenever a bell rang. I then noticed that at the end of each day, I had snot rings around my pant legs, where they would run, face-first into me. Gross! (but also funny) I don't like dealing with "human discharges".
Another reason: My students are with me for 50 minutes, then move to someone else. Less time for individual PITAs to get on my last nerve.
My middle-school staff is about 40% male. High schools are often more than 50% male.
Is this a possibility for you?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
In my building the female to male ratio is 71:4. Two of the males (of which I am one) are classroom teachers. The others are the principal and a p.e. teacher.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In my building the female to male ratio is 71:4. Two of the males (of which I am one) are classroom teachers. The others are the principal and a p.e. teacher.
75 on one staff? That must be one big school. Does that include cafeteria workers, custodians, and paras? How many teachers?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
75 on one staff? That must be one big school. Does that include cafeteria workers, custodians, and paras? How many teachers?

That includes assistants (IAs), music, p.e., counselors, secretaries, etc. It does not include custodians or cafeteria staff. I'm not sure about the exact number of classroom teachers. I believe we have about 33. When I start counting up counselors, psychologist, assistants, p.e., music, band, strings, and LD and art teachers...the number jumps pretty quickly. The school has about 800 students so it's probably considered one of the larger schools.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Mine had 110...and that was just the teachers.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,974 times
ALL "helping professions" pay less because of sexism. Teaching, like other female-dominated fields, is an extension of the homemaker role, and that has been denigrated throughout history.

Teaching is hard, hard work, and yes, it can be dangerous, and it is not nearly as well-compensated as police and fire are, both of which don't require a whole lot of education past high school. But those are MALE-dominated fields, and again the high pay is a result of sexist ideas that men support families while women are supported.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
ALL "helping professions" pay less because of sexism. Teaching, like other female-dominated fields, is an extension of the homemaker role, and that has been denigrated throughout history.

Teaching is hard, hard work, and yes, it can be dangerous, and it is not nearly as well-compensated as police and fire are, both of which don't require a whole lot of education past high school. But those are MALE-dominated fields, and again the high pay is a result of sexist ideas that men support families while women are supported.
Well-put!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post

You are correct to a degree in what you say. The other obvious reason is the very physical and dangerous natures of those 2 jobs. It's much more difficult for women to be accomplished in these fields. I've known 2 men that quit the fire department due to close calls. Now that I've said that, let the little old ladies in tennis shoes and carrying signs lambast me for something that's obvious to most, but totally denied by others not living in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching