Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That kind of stuff you are recommending probably works just fine with most little ones. It doesn't work so well with middle school kids, which is what he says he has.
So true! Middle-Schoolers understand that if you can't talk over them, they can't be held accountable for anything that wasn't presented. I did the same kind of stuff when I was their age.
I would have repped you, but I did earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That kind of stuff you are recommending probably works just fine with most little ones. It doesn't work so well with middle school kids, which is what he says he has.
I can assuredly attest that waiting silently for quiet, whispering, and clapping rhythms typically do not work with middle school and older.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM

45,368 posts, read 60,546,019 times
But, you ought to see Seniors in Psychology class if you show a clip of Teletubbies or even Barney. Heads moving side to side in unison to the music and beautific smiles on every face. Usually a sigh goes through the room when the clip is over.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
This will be my 4th year working with middle school. I remember when I was a sub; I absolutely hated middle school, but it's quickly become my favorite age group. Middle school students are trying to become adults, but they don't quite have the hang of it, so they often do childish things that make you laugh.

I am also considering going for a library endorsement. It would be something different and as a librarian I could still work within the elementary school.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 AM

8 posts, read 7,176 times
Are you kidding? It's kindergarten! What do kids need to learn? Numbers, letters, and how to use crayons...that's about it. Done very easily in about 30min/day over a few months. The rest of the time is wasted, as usual in school. I know this because I homeschool all four of my children, who are now miles ahead of the public school children. The public schools in this country are a disgrace. The homosexual content, same sex couple acceptance and "other" content that teachers are throwing at our children is criminal! I am sorry if this hurts your feelings, but teaching kindergarten IS little more than babysitting! Why should you make as much as a doctor, engineer, scientist, or even nurse? You work 9 months out of 12, make more than nurses, emt's, and firefighters! The government benefits, time off, and forgiven school loans as well as inflated salary is a complete waste too. I have yet to see a public school that provided a quality education. I for one am tired of paying taxes for teachers and schools that serve as babysitters for all my neighbors children. But more than that I am tired of these overpaid babysitters whining about how they don't make enough!

Sorry but teachers should make about 3/4 of what other service positions make...aprox $28-32k, INCLUDING benefits. Most nurses I know make around $50k, but have crap benefits with high deductible health insurance, while a teacher makes the same with great insurance, early retirement, and receives 3 months off a year! Does that sound equivalent? To make it even worse, is the fact that nurses actually work!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRN View Post
Sorry but teachers should make about 3/4 of what other service positions make...aprox $28-32k, INCLUDING benefits. Most nurses I know make around $50k, but have crap benefits with high deductible health insurance, while a teacher makes the same with great insurance, early retirement, and receives 3 months off a year! Does that sound equivalent? To make it even worse, is the fact that nurses actually work!
Then how come every nurse doesn't quit nursing and become a teacher?
Of course, then their pay would be salaried instead of hourly.

(And before you start throwing around numbers, realize that public hospital nurses' salaries are public like teachers. They make way way more than $50k here. I looked up a few of our local public hospitals, and no one made less than $75k in take home pay. Several were getting overtime at over $85/hr!)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRN View Post
Are you kidding? It's kindergarten! What do kids need to learn? Numbers, letters, and how to use crayons...that's about it. Done very easily in about 30min/day over a few months. The rest of the time is wasted, as usual in school. I know this because I homeschool all four of my children, who are now miles ahead of the public school children. The public schools in this country are a disgrace. The homosexual content, same sex couple acceptance and "other" content that teachers are throwing at our children is criminal! I am sorry if this hurts your feelings, but teaching kindergarten IS little more than babysitting! Why should you make as much as a doctor, engineer, scientist, or even nurse? You work 9 months out of 12, make more than nurses, emt's, and firefighters! The government benefits, time off, and forgiven school loans as well as inflated salary is a complete waste too. I have yet to see a public school that provided a quality education. I for one am tired of paying taxes for teachers and schools that serve as babysitters for all my neighbors children. But more than that I am tired of these overpaid babysitters whining about how they don't make enough!

They are teaching KIDS and KIDS are the future. It's a far cry from babysitting. To an outsider, it may look like all they are doing is coloring and playing games but the activities are carefully planned to develop certain skills so that later on they can learn to read and write and do math. It also teaches them social skills.

As for teachers not making enough money, working short hours, 9 months, etc.--that's like a broken record. Teachers don't get paid for the work they take home with them. They don't just magically show up every morning with a day's worth of planned lessons that build upon the previous day's lessons. As for kindergarten, the attention span for most kids at that age is only about fifteen minutes so you need to switch gears that often. In high school you can stay on one topic for close to an hour, but in kindergarten you need to have a load of ideas and activities. Also you have to motivate them and teach them the very basics like staying in their chairs, raising their hands, not yelling out loud, walking instead of running in the building, listening skills, eye hand coordination, the list goes on. Sure, it looks like they're just playing but it's well planned with actual goals in mind.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Well I know two RN's that did just that. However most would not as the job is not as personally rewarding. Possibly where you live there are nurses making $75k but not at any hospital where I live. Max for an RN in the hospital is around $65k, with 30 years experience. Yes most of them are hourly, but many are salary too. The difference is though, that nurses work when they are on the job. Making life changing decisions on a regular basis, clean vomit, stool, sputum, bloody drainage...Whereas teachers follow predetermined lesson plans, give short directions and grade papers. Honestly teaching is easy, sorry but that is the truth. But like most things in life, taking the easy route is also the least admirable. So no I would not trade my career or give up homeschooling my children just to make some easy money. Wouldn't want to subject my children to the garbage coming out of public schools.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They are teaching KIDS and KIDS are the future. It's a far cry from babysitting. To an outsider, it may look like all they are doing is coloring and playing games but the activities are carefully planned to develop certain skills so that later on they can learn to read and write and do math. It also teaches them social skills.

As for teachers not making enough money, working short hours, 9 months, etc.--that's like a broken record. Teachers don't get paid for the work they take home with them. They don't just magically show up every morning with a day's worth of planned lessons that build upon the previous day's lessons. As for kindergarten, the attention span for most kids at that age is only about fifteen minutes so you need to switch gears that often. In high school you can stay on one topic for close to an hour, but in kindergarten you need to have a load of ideas and activities. Also you have to motivate them and teach them the very basics like staying in their chairs, raising their hands, not yelling out loud, walking instead of running in the building, listening skills, eye hand coordination, the list goes on. Sure, it looks like they're just playing but it's well planned with actual goals in mind.
Yes, all of the things you mentioned are done I the home, at friends houses, and while shopping with mom. Seriously why do teachers think that children learn social skills at school? As for teaching children to not yell, walk when told, cut paper, use a pencil, pay attention....those are skill taught by parents, at home. Please stop taking credit for raising children, school is about academics not parenting. I am judging teachers by the product of their work, and I find them failing. But the true issue is larger than the simple classroom teachers, it is the public education system.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM

189 posts, read 262,309 times
The pay greatly varies by school district, I have two friends which are school teachers in NJ. One teaches the third grade and her starting salary right out of college was 57k. The other is a History teacher in a high school and he was started at 64k. I think they are compensated well considering the amount of school days they are closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching