Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 04:43 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

I wish some of the educators would step in here and tell us what the requirements are. I do think most colleges require a "subject" major as well for teacher education degrees.

I did earlier. But I'll try again.

B.S. Degree -- Full major in Geology. Minors in geography and education. I was offered a job in the field of geology, but opted to teach.
M.S. Degree -- Full major in Geology. Minor in education.
A.G.S. Degree -- All educational administration courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Would teachers be willing to accept a pay for results scheme? How would it be structured?

Why does this almost always only come up with the teaching profession?

Why not doctors?

When my epididymitis was misdiagnosed, why didn't the doctor give me my money back and reimburse me for the wrong drug he prescribed?

When a benign kidney tumor was misdiagnosed as kidney cancer, why did I still have to pay for that office call?

When a minor heart issue was misdiagnosed as heart failure due to an incorrect code, why did I still have to pay for the 2 appointments?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
That is a poor analogy. I don't think they were suggesting some case-by-case refund, but more a macro-level performance compensation where all the results of all their students would be used on an aggregate basis to determine pay. So in a comparable scenario it would be how all the doctor's patients were diagnosed or misdiagnosed over a certain amount of time, which would be more in line with other professions where pay is directly correlated to work performance.

Not saying I think that is a good idea for teacher pay, or that it would even be possible to fairly implement, just sayin'.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I did earlier. But I'll try again.

B.S. Degree -- Full major in Geology. Minors in geography and education. I was offered a job in the field of geology, but opted to teach.
M.S. Degree -- Full major in Geology. Minor in education.
A.G.S. Degree -- All educational administration courses.
I didn't ask what your qualifications are, I'm asking if a "subject" major is required for an ed degree in every state, or any state.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
I didn't ask what your qualifications are, I'm asking if a "subject" major is required for an ed degree in every state, or any state.
It is not. And frankly it's not necessarily appropriate for every level of education. A physics major does not make someone more qualified to teach 3rd grade.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Not an ed degree but for a teaching certification for high school teachers.

NJ certification currently requires 30 credits in biology specifically. That is eight credits less than the number of bio credits required for a degree at Rutgers, the state flagship.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/edu...nts/2210CE.pdf

Similar for chem and physics. I am not familiar with other subject areas.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It is not. And frankly it's not necessarily appropriate for every level of education. A physics major does not make someone more qualified to teach 3rd grade.
Thanks, mm!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for every state...just tell you what worked in NYS, Maryland, and Virginia.

The state laws for certification vary by quite a bit, and even states that say they have reciprocity, it's still confusing and contradictory.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:

You'd have to define subject major. I don't have a math major but I'm considered a math major WRT teaching in Michigan. My stand alone degrees are in engineering. I'm pretty sure I haven't taken the right classes or even the right number of classes for a stand alone math major. My math "major" was 32 credits of math. My chem "major" was 40 and my physics "minor" 24. I have a stand alone degree in chemical engineering but that doesn't actually count towards anything as far as education is concerned in Michigan.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I for one am fine with my salary. I willingly traded more money for benefits and stability (or small but regular increments). My only issue is that they are taking those and many of our other benefits away. Do you think we need to be doing he things you said just to "earn" so to speak what is already in our contracts?
In the Work and Employment forum, the "employer" types very frequently post that a job owes you nothing, and that you owe everything to your job. Note that I am NOT agreeing with that practice, just stating that it's the current reality. If "engineers" are not entitled to anything, and if I am labeled "whiny and entitled" just for wanting a living wage, then why are teachers special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching