Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM

372 posts, read 846,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
yeah but i'm sure most people in your area don't have a college education to only make that kind of HOUSEHOLD income.
You're right... only approximately 1/3 have any college education. So I think the teachers are recieving a fair wage in my area. I certainly don't think they're being underpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
I'm assuming a 204 day schedule, which is about 40 weeks. 40 weeks is close to 3/4 of 52 weeks. Don't forget that you get two weeks off around the Non-Specific Winter Holiday and one or two weeks between then and the end of school, too. I'd be generous - you pay would be based on 52 weeks, just like it is for typical full time workers.
You're assuming a little generously. In my district, the teachers' contract stipulates 182 days of work (171 classroom days). This is 36.4 weeks. The average "Jane" and "Joe" works about 48 wks, given holidays and vacations.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM

681 posts, read 2,870,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I DO expect teachers to be paid for conference time. The poster I was quoting implied that they aren't.
Katiana, you were quoting me. I never implied that teachers aren't paid for that stuff. What I was implying was that, since a teacher is on salary (rather than being paid by the hour), that salary covers everything the teacher does... not just the 180 school days which are usually 7 hours long. Teachers have to do much more than teach for several hours per day. This is why they're underpaid.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,829,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Katiana, you were quoting me. I never implied that teachers aren't paid for that stuff. What I was implying was that, since a teacher is on salary (rather than being paid by the hour), that salary covers everything the teacher does... not just the 180 school days which are usually 7 hours long. Teachers have to do much more than teach for several hours per day. This is why they're underpaid.
Here! Here! Thanks for the support...

Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,333,701 times
How about if we go to a year-round school year based on quarters with a two or three week break between each quarter that teachers can use for vacations, lesson plans and CEUs? We could base teacher pay on a 260-day contract instead of the current 180-200 day contracts.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I hear what you're saying. I'm saying, in my distrcit, the teachers are "paid" with comp time for conference days. They get two full days off for time put in for conferences.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,581,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac500 View Post
In the state of Texas, where I teach, math and science teachers are required to take a composite test. In science the test includes the subject areas of geology, astronomy, ecology, biology, chemistry and physics.

In math it covers from basic algebra through to advanced calculus.

These tests are hard to pass. Many prospect teachers, those with basic education degrees, take it 3 and 4 times and never pass it. The people with the highest success rate are those who have degrees in math and science, and later became teachers through alternative teaching certification.

The bottom line is supply and demand. There are not as many qualified prospected math and science teachers as there are english and history teachers. That being said, a 2000 dollar a year stipend is not very much to pull people with math and science degrees out of private industry.
Perhaps you mean the people coming out of another field are required to take a composite test?
My just-graduated-from-UT(University of Texas) daughter with her certification to teach high school math was not required to take one. She knows of no one who graduated with her that took one either.

Last edited by hypocore; 07-25-2008 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

52 posts, read 308,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Perhaps you mean the people coming out of another field are required to take a composite test?
My just-graduated-from-UT(University of Texas) daughter with her certification to teach high school math was not required to take one. She knows of no one who graduated with her that took one either.
They must take it to receive their degree.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:06 PM

52 posts, read 308,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac500 View Post
They must take it to receive their degree.
Hypocore, you are correct in that your daughter did not take the composite science exam, but she did follow the composite science degree program at UT.

I got my facts turned around, prospective teachers who have a science degree out side the teaching field must take the composite exam. It is from this group the many do not pass the exam.

But those who make it through the alternative teaching certification track have a higher retention rate in teaching (lasting more than 5 years) than those who obtain a traditional teaching degree.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM

132 posts, read 527,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
People have to blame somebody for poor school performance, and it's more politically correct to blame teachers than it is to blame the students or the students parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching