Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 03:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Only in areas with a high cost of living, where $100K doesn't go as far as you'd think it would.

My husband has nearly 30 years of experience and only just in the last couple of years made it to $50,000....and that's including a couple of yearly bonuses based on county sales taxes, which fluctuate.
I am in Northern VA (Suburban DC) which has one of the highest costs of living in the country. We don't break $100k. "...can easily break $100k" is an example of another blanket statement that gets made and people will believe it.

And please, don't turn this into a complaint about salary. It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:00 PM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't think you can put a blanket pay range like that and say teachers everywhere should get that amount. It's been mentioned before. The COL has to be considered.
That's what a lot of complainers don't take into account. An area where COL is high and even $45K isn't enough. An area where the top rate for jobs is $12/hour and $30K is above that.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:21 PM

50,750 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
You wrote, "...districts compete with each other for good teacher through benefits".

I agree. Our benefits and pay are lagging behind surrounding districts. So, that is why I wrote, "That's probably why we have so many unfilled teaching positions".
Ok

Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's what a lot of complainers don't take into account. An area where COL is high and even $45K isn't enough. An area where the top rate for jobs is $12/hour and $30K is above that.
Exactly. And it gets quite a bit more complicated than that when you take federal tax brackets into consideration. In certain areas, it might take $35k net to live a modest middle class lifestyle. In other areas, it might take $135k net to live the exact same modest middle class lifestyle due to COL. But the teacher who lives in the higher COL area gets screwed because a larger portion of their income goes to taxes and thus they end up living a worse lifestyle than the person making less money.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 PM

10,058 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
I don't think you can put a blanket pay range like that and say teachers everywhere should get that amount. It's been mentioned before. The COL has to be considered.
Maybe. But I know of nowhere in the country where the 30s is a professional wage that will afford you anything better than a trailer to live.

I actually did consider a teaching job that paid 32k in eastern Montana. They tried to argue that CoL was low. It was, but not THAT low. I was looking at renting a trailer.

If any district pays that low, they need to ask for an exemption to state licensing requirements & let people teach with an associates. It's absurd to demand that a degreed professional accept that low of a wage.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 PM

280 posts, read 250,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Maybe. But I know of nowhere in the country where the 30s is a professional wage that will afford you anything better than a trailer to live.

I actually did consider a teaching job that paid 32k in eastern Montana. They tried to argue that CoL was low. It was, but not THAT low. I was looking at renting a trailer.

If any district pays that low, they need to ask for an exemption to state licensing requirements & let people teach with an associates. It's absurd to demand that a degreed professional accept that low of a wage.
Not sure your experience but starting at 32K isn't the worst thing. Most districts start around 40-45K but get to 60K pretty quick. Everyone understands that teaching isn't going to make you rich but it does provide good benefits, stable income, good retirement and a ton of vacation time.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 AM

280 posts, read 250,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just going to ask how her gaining more experience and skill developing lessons interacts with the "joys of a union and teacher tenure"?
It was the point about teachers rarely getting fired. Even the bad ones are able to skate by with little though to ever getting let go once they have tenure.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:09 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:

30s is low. I wasn't thinking so much about the low end of your given range. I was thinking more of the upper end which seemed low for the highest cost of living areas such as mine.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 AM

10,058 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Not sure your experience but starting at 32K isn't the worst thing. Most districts start around 40-45K but get to 60K pretty quick. Everyone understands that teaching isn't going to make you rich but it does provide good benefits, stable income, good retirement and a ton of vacation time.
If by "pretty quick" you mean at least 10 and maybe 20 years.

I can get jobs that pay 35-40k without a college degree. I was a dept. manager at Wal-Mart and made about that much, and it was less stress. What happened at work stayed at work.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
If by "pretty quick" you mean at least 10 and maybe 20 years.

I can get jobs that pay 35-40k without a college degree. I was a dept. manager at Wal-Mart and made about that much, and it was less stress. What happened at work stayed at work.
I should crack $60k in my teacher friendly state, on our fairly typical guide, next year at 14 years on the guide with a graduate degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching