Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
When did I ever say prep period was nap time? I said prep period was used so I didn't have 20 hours of take home work. Sometimes it's used to prep, sometimes it's used to grade, but it's always used efficiently so that I take as little work home as possible.
When did you fit in the calls to parents that you were required to make - or didn't you have those? We had to call about many things and usually, this happened during preps. The other thing that often happened during preps was tutoring students who came in to ask about the lessons. And, of course, preps were taken so you could cover for another teacher who did not have a sub or who had to leave in the middle of the day because s/he was ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:28 AM

362 posts, read 794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
Highly stressful work, cops work 4 days on 4 days off and nurses a similar like schedule. Teaching you take the work home with you, when you leave your job as a cop you are not assigned report cards to take home

Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Being a teacher is a calling, and I have a lot of respect for them and what they do.
In my state they usually make 30 to 40 thousand a year to begin, which considering all they do, is rather low imo, also it's not much money for someone with a degree....and they are educating children and shaping the future, so yes, I do think they should be paid more.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Due to the structure of my setup, I very, very, very rarely have to call parents, and I am so glad that's on somebody else's plate, and not mine. I do have to contact parents about things relevant to IEP review, but that's really it.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
My best friend is a teacher in Indiana. She's been doing it ten years and is earning in the early 50s. Not too bad for Indiana.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My best friend is a teacher in Indiana. She's been doing it ten years and is earning in the early 50s. Not too bad for Indiana.
That would be a mid-career rate, so no, it is not good. Please note teaching is not on here, nor should it be, because it is not one of the best paying careers for people with a bachelor's degree: Average Salary With A Bachelor's Degree

Old 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That would be a mid-career rate, so no, it is not good. Please note teaching is not on here, nor should it be, because it is not one of the best paying careers for people with a bachelor's degree: Average Salary With A Bachelor's Degree
It's good for what it is. Most of the careers listed in your link are highly technical, so is it really comparable? Further, science/engineering/tech jobs are usually in high COL areas. That why I think her salary is good for where she lives.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
When did you fit in the calls to parents that you were required to make - or didn't you have those? We had to call about many things and usually, this happened during preps. The other thing that often happened during preps was tutoring students who came in to ask about the lessons. And, of course, preps were taken so you could cover for another teacher who did not have a sub or who had to leave in the middle of the day because s/he was ill.
Obviously things come up. But I was not calling parents every day. During my prep the students were in class. If they were to come to me for tutoring then they'd be missing the class time in their class. Tutoring was done during study halls, before school, or after school. I'm just saying that I was generally on campus for 9.5 hours per day. Which is 47.5 hours a week. I think that is fairly standard for a salaried professional employee. When I worked in market research prior to teaching I usually worked that amount or more.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Being a teacher is a calling, and I have a lot of respect for them and what they do.
In my state they usually make 30 to 40 thousand a year to begin, which considering all they do, is rather low imo, also it's not much money for someone with a degree....and they are educating children and shaping the future, so yes, I do think they should be paid more.
The problem with this logic is that far too many teachers got a teaching degree because it's an easy degree to get. Most of the education classes are about jumping through hoops, not about what you know. I had many students in my education classes with me that were stunningly unintelligent. Let's be real. How smart do you have to be to teach 2nd graders? Now that's not to say all primary grade teachers lack intelligence. Some of them are very intelligent. But there are many that simply do not warrant a high salary simply because they possess a degree.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Many teacher probably would not be able to take the classes necessary to attain a degree in one of those fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching