Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

22 posts, read 60,169 times

Advertisements

I am finishing my degree in Special Education and currently live in Miami. There is a budget crisis here and they are not hiring any new teachers. I was planning on relocating in a few years but if I can't get a job here I might as well leave when I graduate. So I wanted to know where in the U.S. are there teaching jobs. I will go anywhere except small towns (I'm a city girl from NYC) or mostly conservative areas. I would also love a place where I don't need a car and there are seasons (Miami is not good for these). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,543 times
I'm a special ed teacher. If you have a degree in special education, you can probably work anywhere you choose. Pick an area that you want to live and apply with the school district. Check the school district to see what they need from new applicants and send it to them by March (if looking to start at the beginning of the next school year). One more tip--if you are relocating to a new state (and you're not applying in other states), start the process of getting your teaching license in that state before you even apply to districts. This year, I obtained my teaching license in Tennessee before I applied to jobs (I moved from Kentucky). I was favored over other applicants because I already had my license. You can be hired under emergency contract while applying for your license but it's a bigger hassle.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,366 times
Budget problem in Miami? No other district is hiring for teachers?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,387 times
I wish I could help you. A lot of cities are talking about hiring freezes. Being that you are a special education teacher, you may have a better chance. I would think that you would have an even better chance if you go and teach in a high school. In general, it is easier to get a job in the city than in the suburbs. good luck.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM

74 posts, read 285,970 times
Default no worries!

We, like many many many school districts in a budget crunch and don't hire if we don't have to either, however there is a HUGE need for special ed teachers across the board from what I have seen.

I posted this on another thread a while back 'we may get 500 or more applicants for a history position that is open, but usually only 4 or 5 applicants for a special ed position' this is at the high school level I am talking about.

Its also an extremely tough time to begin looking or talking to school districts about positions open. Come spring time is where districts begin looking and posting.

Also, ask others that have a few years of teaching around your area when districts begin posting positions. Apply a few weeks before the positions open online (as many get filled before they are even posted). Email principals, department heads, and HR departments. Even call and leave info and personally drop off your resume and portfolio.

I am sure you will find something, just keep a positive attitude and an open to mind to different places you may wish to teach.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 PM

144 posts, read 552,395 times
No hiring freeze in Missouri. We seem to hire a lot of teachers. If you are special ed, you could probably have your choice of districts. However, in KC and St. Louis, avoid the inner city and stick to the suburbs. The schools are much better off. SW Missouri has excellent schools, but Springfield (pop 250,000) is about the biggest city you will find.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,317 times
I'm in NJ- No hiriing freezes that I'm aware of. I'm also in Special Ed and that's probably why I got a job so quickly. Unfortunately, it's who you know in most places I know. Our pay is very good compared to most but our standards are very high. A ton of work is expected, expectations are very high, our kids are low and it seems that know one is listening.
I'm not saying I don't want to work- I work very hard and stay late many days.

I've heard N. Carolina is good- check that state out.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:44 PM

194 posts, read 590,124 times
Northern Virginia.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times
I've heard Texas, Utah, Colorado. I'll be looking this spring and hoping for the mountain west.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
I've seen at least 4 ads in Arkansas Democrat Gazette looking for special education teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching