U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM

901 posts, read 2,678,937 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous posts stating how little teachers actually work. I started thinking about my experience on another message board this summer (when I was off).

There were many women there that were on the message board ALL day at work. One woman was banned from the board. She came back with a new name. After a few days (4, I think), she had managed to write 1,000 posts. She only posted at work. So, those who say how hard working in the corporate world is, explain this.

When I am on my prep, I'll be lucky if I have a chance to go and check my work e-mail once. I don't have a computer in my classroom, so I have to go to the school's library. During prep I am way too busy to dedicate time to the computer. Other than prep and lunch, I have to be completely focused on the children the entire time I am at work. My cell phone is locked away, and my classroom phone does not make outgoing calls.

My point is when I am at work, I actually work. There are many people who waste a lot of time at work. So, don't tell me that teachers are lazy, have it easy, and do nothing all day.

P.S. I know not everyone in the corporate world posts on message boards all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM

517 posts, read 1,663,433 times
I just want to add one more thing.

In my school our computers have so many restrictions that I can't even check my personal e-mail. Many of the websites have restrictions. No youtube, no hotmail (e-mail), etc. So many websites that are blocked out. Unbelieveable! I understand the kids not being blocked out- the teachers are another story.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 53,973,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I just want to add one more thing.

In my school our computers have so many restrictions that I can't even check my personal e-mail. Many of the websites have restrictions. No youtube, no hotmail (e-mail), etc. So many websites that are blocked out. Unbelieveable! I understand the kids not being blocked out- the teachers are another story.
Most of corporate America has these filters as well, especially for the e-mail so people don't bring in virus', etc. If we find a website that we need to access that is blocked we can fill out a form and have the IT people check out the site to see if it is safe-no spyware mostly and then if it is ok, we can get access to the site.

As for corporate Am vs schools, my contract with my job in corporate Am is for 200 days, our teachers are contracted for 210 days. The only difference is that I can take my vacation whenever I want, teachers have to take theirs on school vacation days. Oh, an it isn't like most teachers spend most of their 'vacation' working on lesson plans, taking CE courses, etc. right . If you figure out the hours worked for most teachers, they were many, many more hour then people do in corporate America, they just do it in a more compact time frame. I know not all teachers are good, but if you look at the faculty parking lots at our schools, most of the teachers are here by 6:30 and don't leave until 5:00, that is a 10 1/2 hour day or 2205 hours/year. If someone in corporate America works a 40 hour work week with 2 weeks off, that is 2000 hours worked. Someone working a 50 hour week is at 2500 hours-considering 2 weeks off. Now, that doesn't take into consideration time off for ANY holidays either-Christmas, New Years, etc.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,536,153 times
I'm a teacher too and I'm at school by 7am and have to be there till 3pm..that's 8 hours.

I've been in the corporate world and I've seen many many people who didn't even work 4 hours a day. The day was spent emailing, going online, going out for cigarettes, getting coffee, chatting with coworkers, and taking an hour or more for lunch.

I have no computer in my room, lunch is 45 minutes. There is no going out for cigarette breaks and no chatting with coworkers because everyone is in their own class. I don't know why people think teachers have it easier. If you're a good teacher you ARE working at least 40 hours a week or more and that includes all the time outside to prepare things.

If you are jealous of teachers then become one and see how it goes... You'll be dying for june to roll around.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,295,656 times
Well if any of you would like to have had my job you are welcome to it. I was on my feet for 12 to 16 hours a day and ate as I worked, would have loved to have had only 45 minutes for lunch. And I was the department foreman.

And what is a vacation, 40 years working maybe 6 weeks off, rest of the time it was a day here a day there or was paid for not taking it.

Yeah we have it real good in the corporate world....

Old 12-06-2008, 12:43 PM

43,552 posts, read 52,647,623 times
My dad worked in the corporate world for over 40 years...we never saw him. Vacation? Yeah, maybe once a year we got to spend time. I remember when he was gone before we woke up and he would come home around dinner or later. He worked six days a week during most of my early childhood.

My wife technically works 0730 till 1630 at her corporate job, and she almost never can answer the phone to talk to me, she gets enforced cut lunches and overtime and Saturdays.

People in management or who are climbing the corporate ladder will work 70 or 80 hour weeks. Maybe you're thinking of the glorified admin or data entry people, but the people I know in the corporate world are working all the time and get 2 or maybe 4 weeks vacation.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:43 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,098,945 times
I think "The corporate world" is too broad of an area. What about those of us that work in non-profits? Do we compare everyone that has a bachelors degree with teaching? How about teachers in Administration, they're jobs are pretty close to what I consider corporate America, do they work as hard as their teachers?

I think the whole discussion is interesting if you can generalize whole segments of a population, but that's not how it is in real life. I know teachers that are excellent teachers and go out of their way to support their students in and out of the classroom and I know teachers that burnt out 10 years ago and just go through the motions. Which one represents all the teachers? I know there are people out there that try to do as little work as possible at their jobs and people that work 50-60 hours a week - which one is the example of corporate America?

IMHO, your job is just a small part of who you are. I don't get stressing about how other people label or perceive you, that's THEIR problem.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,346,592 times
AMEN, Sam82! My teacher wife agrees with you 100%! (I'm posting because SHE'S doing prep for tomorrow's classes...) I hear about how some parent has no problem with my wife forfeit HER lunch to go over work that their lazy kid didn't do at home. And the parents who expect her to raise their kid because THEY have no clue. And on and on... For all of the critics of education, how come there aren't people lined up forever to apply for teaching jobs? And why is there such a large exodus rate from the profession. Most of the opinion pieces from the critics of education show that they have NO clue what teaching is really like. And most of their "solutions" would never work in the real world.

While I've got the soap box out, I sure am tired of callers that have time to call talk shows and whine about how hard it is to find good help. (I'm willing to bet that most of 'em are SOBs to work for...)

Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
The teachers in my district work 187 days per contract. I don't know of any district where teachers work 210 days; the average school year is 180 days. The average work year for year-round employment is 240 days (two weeks vacation and 10 holidays). After you have worked somewhere a number of years, you may get more vacation; eventually you might be able to bring your work year down to 230 days.

I work in health care. Our computers are not restricted, but there is literally no time in the work day to check e-mail, surf the web, etc, except at lunch. If you see me posting in the middle of the day other than lunch hour, you will know it is my day off.

I work in a physician's office. No one has any idea how an office operates until they work in one. We do get paid for each and every hour we work, but that is frequently more than 8 hrs in one day. Full time is considered four days/week so we don't go over the 40/80 hours stipulations and need to be paid overtime.

We start out at two weeks vacation/yr, gradually build up to four, but it takes a while. We do get the major holidays off, but unlike teachers we do not automatically get the days before and after them off as well. For example, this year we are open 1/2 day on Christimas Eve Day, and all day Dec. 26. Ditto New Year's week. It's not bad; in fact it's better than working in a hospital where you work at least 1/2 the holidays themselves.

In our district, there are hundreds of applicants for each job, per some comments made by a school board member. It can't be that bad. We on the other hand, have a hard time recruiting people.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM

901 posts, read 2,678,937 times
Katiana, I wasn't talking about all professions. I was referring to all the people who claim that teachers seem to do no work. I was contrasting my experience at work with those who might have desk jobs that allow them free time.

I know that when I am at my dr.'s office, I haven't seen the nurses, receptionists, or other workers sitting around. They look very busy to me. Many people work hard. I just can't believe that people who have never done my job have the nerve to tell me how easy it is compared to every other job out there.

Lastly, teachers in private school have it way worse (I used to work in a private school). I was part time, but the full time teachers worked 9.25 hours a day. All teachers were responsible for cleaning the classroom, stocking the classroom (taking supplies from the basement and putting them in the classroom), preparing the lunches and snacks, and or course teaching. In addition, the full time teachers were paid about 12,000 less than those in public school (and no money during the summer), had no dental/vision care, and paid about $180 per month for health insurance (if they were just covering themself). So, all teaching is not created equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or