U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM

1,840 posts, read 4,460,822 times
Default Will a Master's Overqaulify me to teach High School?

I know this has probably been discussed, but let me give you a little background.

I have two associate degrees, a Bachelor's in Managment, and am thinking about getting a Master's in Education.

I teach full time for the Air Force right now. My students get college credit, 10 credits per session, acredited through the Southern Association of Colleges, and those credits are fully transferable to a 4 year University. I have an "occupational teaching certificate" from the Air Force (not sure if that is a real thing in the "civilian" world), and have over 3000 classroom hours.

In about 10 years, when I retire, I would like to teach in the public school systems.

My mom is convinced I'll be overqualified if I get a Master's degree.

Tuition is free for me, why not go? But will I be shooting myself in the foot?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Status: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." (set 7 days ago)

15,684 posts, read 14,084,925 times
Depends on your subject, masters command higher salaries so that may be an impediment. But, most systems require a MS after a few years of employment.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 4,919,803 times
Most teacher payscales including info on MS and PhD, in that usually you get a bump up in pay. This is going to depend on location and subject of course.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM

1,840 posts, read 4,460,822 times
I understand that many schools want you to have a Masters after a few years, but what about entry level?
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,921,563 times
If you don't have a state-issued teaching credential, you probably won't be able to find employment as a teacher -- certainly not in a public school. The exception would be if you were hired into a high-needs subject (typically math, science, special ed) under a temporary license. In that case, you'd have to complete coursework for your credential, within a specified length of time, while teaching. That coursework often ends in a Masters' Degree.

Would you be over-qualified starting out as a teacher with a Masters' Degree? Possibly. But, yes, you'd most likely have to get one within a few years anyway. More importantly, though, since you won't be able to find a job without some teacher preparation, you need to decide whether to take an undergraduate teacher prep program (a waste of time, IMHO), or complete it at the graduate level.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,616,354 times
In financially strapped school districts, they opt for the teacher with fewer degrees to whom they can pay a smaller salary. That is the only disadvantage as I see it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 PM

51 posts, read 118,331 times
In my state, a masters degree is required within five years of receiving an initial certification to teach. Without it you cannot get re-certified. A masters is a must. Overqualified? No way!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
NCN

13,917 posts, read 11,350,684 times
Our county public school system has the same type of college credit classes. If you are in the education system, the higher the education qualifications the better. You could end up in a small community college at a higher pay scale. Don't ever turn down the opportunity to get more education. I am retired, but I am still planning to take classes just to keep my mind occupied. You can never learn too much.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,322,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accept-logic View Post
In my state, a masters degree is required within five years of receiving an initial certification to teach. Without it you cannot get re-certified. A masters is a must. Overqualified? No way!
Same here in Mass.

If you've got it from the start, it won't matter.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 PM

51 posts, read 118,331 times
Mass is where I teach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching