U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

517 posts, read 1,605,481 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to hear from teachers in NJ and the rest of our country.

As a regular ed. or special ed. teacher- do you teach health or does the gym teacher teach it.

I'm not sure if it's up to the district or the state.

I feel that I have to get so many subjects into the day that I wonder why the gym teachers don't teach health. I feel that we have it alot tougher than the special teachers- we have so much to teach and to be accountable for. I'm not saying that the specials teachers don't do their job. It just doesn't seem fair that they don't do the paperwork or have the same amount of teaching to do. This is not meant to offend anyone.

Please let me know if you feel the same and/or if it's different where you teach. Thanks!

Last edited by MMTeacher; 02-09-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: hit send button too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 AM

520 posts, read 2,206,019 times
In Pennsylvania, it's usually up to each district. In elementary schools, it's usually the regular homeroom teacher that teaches health. There just are not enough periods in the day for the phys. ed teacher to also teach health. Think about it, if they were to teach health once a week to each class in each grade, that would mean that they currently have half the day off if they teach phys. ed once a week to each class. Phys. ed teachers usually have a pretty busy schedule and will often travel to different buildings in a district, so there is no way they would have the time to teach health on top of phys. ed. they would have to hire a new teacher.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM

82,790 posts, read 95,236,514 times
I am a parent, not a teacher. In the larger districts in Colorado, it is as pinetar10 stated in his/her state. I don't know about the small mountain and ag district schools.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 AM

272 posts, read 625,991 times
I used to teach health subjects in Biology I because I knew that the PE teachers were not doing it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

7,671 posts, read 11,654,679 times
Here in Northern VA the elementary classroom teachers teach health. IMO it pretty much gets put on the back burner and squeezed in at the end of a quarter, or at the end of the school year when state standards testing is done.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM

517 posts, read 1,605,481 times
In our schools we have 2 period of gym each week and then I have to teach health on the other 3 days. I don't always get it in but have to get to it at least weekly. It's a grade on their report cards and therefore we have to teach it, do a handout for each section and give test for each also. I feel that it's so much to fit in with Math, Language arts, spelling, Science, Social Studies, Handwriting, spanish (when I get to it). It's alot of work. The way our schedule are set up- we have 1-2 half hours per day to get the Science, health, spanish in, in addition to the 3 hours (total)of math and language arts and then the specials.

I would love to hear from more people. Out and in NJ.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 PM

830 posts, read 2,217,529 times
In both districts in CA where I've taught, there have been no PE teachers. So it's up to me, the general ed teacher, to teach both PE and health (and art, and music, and everything else).

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM

12,336 posts, read 26,193,481 times
In our school district health is taught by the classroom teachers in elementary (K-5) but by the phys ed teachers in Middle and High School. Kids have health 1/2 a year, every year in Middle School and in 9th and 11th grade in HS. In High School it's three days a week. I think it's two days a week in MS, but I'm not sure. We kid that it alternates sex one time and drugs the next so by the time they graduate the kids know everything about sex and drugs.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,043,454 times
Health teachers should teach health!! I have my B.S. in ..... Health AND Physical Education. They aren't the same thing!! Just because someone is a P.E. teacher doesn't mean they know much about mental, emotional, and social health. And besides exercise, most P.E. teachers I know could use some help on the nutrition aspects of their lives......

Grrr...this really bugs me. Schools do not emphasize health nearly enough. In MI, where I taught 9th grade Health for 5 years, it is a semester long class taught by a certified Health teacher. Here in CO, I taught 7th grade Health last year, and it is only a quarter long. In 8th grade it is a semester. Now I teacher h.s. in another urban district and the High Schoolers do not get health AT ALL!!! It's unbelievable to be considering CO is supposed to be such a "healthy" state.

I do not think elementary classroom teachers should have to teach health; nor should the P.E. teachers. Ideally there would be a Health teacher for the school, but I realize with the way school budgets are going this isn't likely. Sad though really, because health literacy is something you will need your entire life.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM

12,336 posts, read 26,193,481 times
My guess is that it's probably standard for Pennsylvania PE teachers to get certified in Health if they plan to teach in the secondary schools. They're pretty strict about certifications here.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or