U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM

996 posts, read 1,957,215 times
How about combining a couple of the previous suggestions and trying to becme an instructor of some sort with a Senior Center or something similar. In my area it is pretty common for the retirees to want to learn all the activities they missed while working, raising children, fulfilling obligations. You'd be surprised how many will show up to learn windows, take a literature or art course and the like.

Also my own mother has started teaching Adult Ed for about 10 hours a week in retirement and aboslutely loves it. She says having a class full of students who chose to be there and often sacrifice to find the time has been very rewarding. Sadly she feels she has received more appreciation in the last 3 years than her last ten in the classroom.

I would also think something involving directing activities, planning or managing groups would be something that a teacher could relate to managing a classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 AM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
I assume that you wnat to keep the same salary level that you get now--so I don't think part time teaching at a Rec center is going to do that--
teaching adjuct classes at community college usually has no benefits and no advancement either if you are qualified to move into that area...

my son was middle school teacher for 7 yrs--ELA and history--decided that he loved teaching but kids did not love learning English/lit/writing--so he would go back and get MA and then MFA and teach on college level...well, we tried to talk him out of it but he was pretty set--so he stopped working and went back to school full time--got teaching asst job and got his ma in two years (in creative writing--refused to take any classes in tech/business proposal writing for real world skills)
--but he also fell in love and wanted to get married--so he had to get a real job--because he graduated mid-year--could not get teaching job--finally found job working as writer for company doing web-based training modules for businesses like hospitals/drs and other businesses--paid pretty well considering he had no real experience doing that but the company owner wanted someone who was creative--not a tech writer so he took chance on my son

not a lot of upside to that thorugh--very small company--after a year and their business was shrinking--owner sold out to larger company who actually was one of their biggest clients--basically that company bought their competition because the buyer did not want all the companies they had contracts with to know that they were outsourcing all the technical creation--
after a year and little bit with that co--my son was laid off--the president of his old company was made vp at the sale but after about 6 mo he was eased out as well--my son should have seen the writing on the wall and tried to find other job but he was getting married and did not want to go back into teaching which is what he was best qualified to do--and teaching in good district in this area is very difficult to get in--he left job with Highland Park ISD in Dallas--which was really stupid choice--but he got crosswise with one of the women teaching there who had more clout than he did --just did not agree about teaching philosophies and new standards...

now my son has 7 yrs public school teaching/two years of college teaching and an MA in English/couple of years working as e-learning based writer with some tech skills--and he is having a terrible time finding a job--has sent out mass quantities of resumes with one interview...
and this is in DFW area where the economy is supposed to be better than the rest of US...

frankly--I think you better plan pretty well before you leave teaching
getting a library certification to transition to school librarian might be easier than most any other job area--at least you are not in the testing field--but there are usually fewer librarians -- one per school--and some elementaries are starting to share jobs

my daughter who teaches in elem school at first wanted to be speech pathologist and that is field that has fairly decent pay--prospects for continued employment-- but you would have to reeducate...and probably bet a master's to really succeed...

don't assume that because you have been a classroom teacher that companies doing adult training will value your experience--they wont
publishers and educational supply companies are more about sales than creating the materials--if you don't like to sell and meet quotas you probably won't be comfortable doing that...just as much pressure as teaching or worse to me...educational budgets are going to shrink in this economy as well...

you need to really consider the consequences of leaving a teaching job--you may be Riffed anyway

Old 03-07-2012, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 11,974 times
Its hard to cross over from teaching into the world of business. Most corporations don't view teaching skills as valuable assets. With that being said, there are plenty of teachers that have successfully made the transition.
It may be that you need to start at a lower salary, however, your career ladder may be more favorable than one in teaching which is essentially non-existent. In some cases teachers with masters degrees become principals. That's pretty much the extent of upward mobility.
It may be necessary to return to school to gain credentials for another career.
Teachers with less than 5 years in teaching tend to have an easier time with this transition than those who have only known teaching for 7+ years.

Case in point--My sister was on a fast track career path in the business world when she was derailed by the education department at her college. They painted teaching as a wonderful career full of rewards, time off, etc
Had she stuck with her bachelor's in business administration (as her corporate boss at the time advised) she would have been set.
Instead she switched her major to elementary education, left the business world and the rest is sad history.
Years later she ran into a co-worker from the fortune 500 company she worked for and who had been attending the same school my sis had been attending. The co-worker got her bachelors in biz followed by an MBA and is now a successful executive who is pretty satisfied and happy with her life and career.
She told my sis "you could have been right their with me. You had all the skills, drive, experience, contacts..everyone loved you and management felt you had the right stuff to send you career soaring in that company--what happened"?
All my sister could say is "Somewhere along the line i took a wrong detour".

15 years into teaching my sis is full of regrets, tears, battle-worn and deeply dejected-- With a head full of gray hair and wrinkles by the time she was 35 (No one in my family had ever developed gray hairs and wrinkles that soon).
Teaching took an enormous personal toll on her family and her health.

Now at the age of 43 she can't stand teaching anymore, but like many teachers, has no place else to go since she knows that most employers don't consider teaching of any value in their companies. She's waiting till her youngest daughter enters high school to retire.

The thing is--she was happy with her business career, but like many young college students, she fell for the pretty picture painted by the ed dept in her college and therefore thought that the "grass must be greener on the other side".
How wrong she was.
For many people teaching is either a second/terminal career or is one that they may start with but end up leaving within the first 5 years.
Many people view teaching as a dead-end career offering little by way of respect, mobility or salary.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,800,894 times
Camp administrator? Museum education dept. staff? Real Estate? Tutors in my neck of the woods make beaucoup bucks, and you can make your own hours.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM

261 posts, read 145,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Interesting question. I noticed you are also from NJ and now I see why you are asking this. I love teaching but so much is required of us that I don't know how many of us will stay and for how long. I can't imagine what else I would do.

I love to teach, love to plan, love the children- why can't we just teach and teach what we know they'll need. It's very sad that teaching has come to this
This right here is the question I ask myself everyday. Why can't we just teach!!!

It is too much. Its my first year and I know its supposed to get better, but I am looking at the new core requirements and I just don't think I am going to be in this for the long haul. It's way too much for one person.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
SO what other careers would be easier for a teacher to transition?

I don't know what will happen a few years from now in the system I'm in, but I've thought about what else I could do if teaching doesn't work out.
What is your degree in? What subjects do you teach?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM

379 posts, read 346,693 times
What about working for a tutoring service company, an online homeschool curriculum company, or a company that provides enrichment (for math there is Mathnasium and IMACS, for example)? I have no idea about the pay for these jobs, however, and some of them may be part-time. You could also look into teaching basic skills courses for a community college.

Also, consider banking. You have proven communication skills. You could start as a customer service rep, opening accounts and whatnot, and work your way up.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM

183 posts, read 103,505 times
How about private tutoring? You can make PLENTY doing that, practically naming your price. I know people who do that and do quite well, on their terms.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM

5,909 posts, read 4,983,387 times
I think teachers do good in sales. If you can sell math or history to a kid you can sell anything. My academic back is in education although I have spent very little time doing it, I recently took an insurance salesmen test and was considered for a job. I never thought of my self as an insurance sales man. I was also offered a job in mid-level management. Jobs that require lots of paper work, making presentations, and motivating people are easy for people with backgrounds in education.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 PM

9,939 posts, read 7,232,247 times
Actually, many teachers go into selling textbooks. It helps if they already have a good relationship with the schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching