Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

283 posts, read 597,537 times

Advertisements

anybody can become a teacher. Secondary or elementary ed is the easiest degree to get in college. Most kids who couldn't handle real majors would major in these majors where you really just have to memorize things. From memories of my highschool most teachers are not smart at all. Some didn't even have a college degree, and the majority that did where from easy crappy state schools. I dropped something in the toilet not long ago that has enough intelligence to teach stupid 17 year old kids how to pop pimples, math, and how to read.

The worse thing is these teachers get so much time off including whole summers. I am the one who pays you by my taxes. I work all year with harldly any holidays or vacation, and my job is 10 times harder and you bums make more than me. Come work a real job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
anybody can become a teacher. Secondary or elementary ed is the easiest degree to get in college. Most kids who couldn't handle real majors would major in these majors where you really just have to memorize things. From memories of my highschool most teachers are not smart at all. Some didn't even have a college degree, and the majority that did where from easy crappy state schools. I dropped something in the toilet not long ago that has enough intelligence to teach stupid 17 year old kids how to pop pimples, math, and how to read.

The worse thing is these teachers get so much time off including whole summers. I am the one who pays you by my taxes. I work all year with harldly any holidays or vacation, and my job is 10 times harder and you bums make more than me. Come work a real job.
Wow, you are so smart! Have you considered a career in teaching? Sounds like it would be a good economic move. Just think, the whole summer off AND a raise! I bet you'll miss your free burger and fries at the end of your shift, though.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:

WOW! Your answer needs to be posted in a no-see-um area....So does your public profile. Shame on you because you did not answer the original question....... It now becomes obvious that those, such as yourself, who work their best and cannot get anywhere need a change of jobs. It is never too late to find or discover something you can enjoy.

Go back to school...OOPS! That a bad word because you could be taught by someone who got an easy education. If you have no intention to help others learn and progress in life then volunteer. It can be a good experience and maybe you will change your thinking and write something that a lot of readers will agree with you...The negativity you spew does affect you the sender. Just think that if you remain negative then your anger can have your remain in a job that needs you to continually working harder and not smarter.

Shame on you and your juvenile post.

God Bless our Veterans and Troops

Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
You've obviously never been a teacher.

The time off is not an advantage. Summer (and many districts are down to only six weeks now) is a needed time of physical and mental rejuvenation for teachers
As opposed to folks like psychiatric hospital staff, physical therapists, steeplejacks, longshoremen, or correctional facility workers, who have much less need of physical and mental rejuvenation?

I'm not maintaining that teaching is the easiest profession on the planet. But there are many which are just as inadequately compensated, just as difficult, just as draining, and which have far worse hours-- and which are far more dangerous or debilitating-- and yet whose practitioners don't seem to need the constant ego stroking so many teachers seem to.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
I have a close relative who is a 2nd-grade teacher. She graduated from a respected university, yet I am stunned at how uneducated she is. I don't know what they teach people who get Bacherlor's degrees in "Elementary Education", but this woman seems to have no real knowledge above Winnie-the Pooh and Harry Potter books.

Also, she is home from work every afternoon by 3:30, has a lot of time off throughout the year with all the holidays, winter and spring breaks and summer. And what does she do? She complains that her students are all "brats" and whines about how exhausting her job is. She has only 20 students in her class, which doesn't seem that overwhelming to me, especially since she is a youthful 27 years old and has no children of her own to take care of.
Maybe her kids are all brats. My wife is a youthful 24 years old, she teaches 1st grade, and her kids love her. But yet they drive her crazy because most of them don't listen and disrupt the class.

By the way, she only has 17 students. One rotten apple can spoil the whole bunch... when my wife's "rotten apple" was absent for a week, she said that it was like teaching in a whole different world because the rest of the kids behaved much better than they did in the presence of that bad influence.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Come try teaching for just one month. Then see if you're singing the same song.

Yeah, we get a lot of time off but we work enough hours for a full year in the 8-month span of our school year. On top of that, it's one of the most stressful jobs there is... I teach high school in an inner city situation and I read a study once which concluded that "inner city high school teacher" is the most stressful job in America. Any oher studies I read ranked "education" in the top five.

If you don't think it's real, and you can do so much better, I'll trade jobs with you and see how long you survive. If you don't want to take the challenge, stop insulting teachers.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
As opposed to folks like psychiatric hospital staff, physical therapists, steeplejacks, longshoremen, or correctional facility workers, who have much less need of physical and mental rejuvenation?

I'm not maintaining that teaching is the easiest profession on the planet. But there are many which are just as inadequately compensated, just as difficult, just as draining, and which have far worse hours-- and which are far more dangerous or debilitating-- and yet whose practitioners don't seem to need the constant ego stroking so many teachers seem to.
If teachers need ego stroking, it's only because we put our heart and soul into what we do and it is therefore personally offensive when our students don't care. Some jobs are just "tasks"... you do what you have to do and then you're done... you're just a cog in the wheel. But I ask you this... how well do you suppose a musical group would perform if the crowd was mostly dead- half of them falling asleep and only a select few clapping after each song?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Then perhaps you would rather not be counted as professionals....???

Teachers have to find their own subs?? I've never heard of that...usually subs are coordinated through the district or individual school. Teachers in our district seem to be absent when they need to be, when they or their kids are sick, even for 'appointments' and I think they even get a few vacation days during the school year but I'm not 100% sure on that. As for using the bathroom, well you sure can't leave the kids unattended so yeah, I guess someone else would have to step in. That seems reasonable as well.

As for other professionals just getting up and going (whether that be the bathroom or anywhere else) it's probably not as common as you might think. My DH as an engineer/manager and he can't get up and leave presentations, meetings, evaluations, seminars, etc. to tinkle. He goes either before or after or waits for a break....otherwise it seems very UNPROFESSIONAL. He can't just skip work to go to the dentist or 'appointments'....I guess he could but that isn't very professional either and I doubt his employers would appreciate it. If he does have to leave the workplace for a while, he still has to get the work done. There isn't anyone to take his place for the day when he is out. If he is out work doesn't get done or it gets done from home....even if he is sick or on vacation. The rest he has to make up for when he gets back. You see, that is his JOB. The job of a teacher is to teach students. School is run for a set amount of hours and days just as others have to work around set work expectations. They can't do that if they are at the dentist, bank, doctor or some 'appointment' just as my DH can't conduct a seminar or customer meeting from those locations. When was the last time you heard of a lawyer leaving court to attend to personal business, or an accountant leaving a client meeting to go to the dentist, or a surgeon leaving the operating room to tinkle in the middle of surgery....You think only teachers can't just do what they want/need when they want/need to?? ....

Is it too much to ask that teachers be on-site when the students are?? Students need to seek permission to be absent or their work for the day gets a 0. If my high school students miss more than a few of any one class for ANY reason (including excused absences) they get a 0 for the semester. Gee, I guess I better find another time to get them to the dentist or the orthodontist or whatever important appointments they have. Certainly it isn't any harder for teachers to do the same. I expect the teachers to be there when students are, with the exception of illness and perhaps only on other rare and truly exceptional circumstances. That's how professionals act in a work environment.
My best guess is that your job does not entail all-day meeting schedules or all-day consecutive surgeries or all-day consecutive court cases, every single day of the Monday-Friday work week. You probably get at least an hour for lunch and if there's no meeting you have to attend immediately after lunch, you probably don't get in trouble for staying out for an hour and ten minutes.

I used to work at a corporation and we got to choose our own hours within reason. If I had something I needed to get done during the afternoon, I'd come into work at 6 and leave by 2:30. If I had something to do in the morning, I'd come in at 10 and leave by 6:30. Most people do have flexible schedules like that. A lot of hourly workers whose companies are open 7 days a week have the occasional weekday off... usually at least once a week or certainly once every two weeks. Teachers don't have that luxury. Do you know when most businesses are open for business? 8 AM to 4:30 PM. Do you know when I am REQUIRED to be in school come hell or high water? 8 AM to 4:30 PM. How much stuff do you suppose I can accomplish in the course of a day when my lunch period is but 40 minutes long?

Heaven forbid I'm ONE MINUTE LATE getting back from lunch... I'll have students piled up at the door of my classroom and it sure as heck looks bad for me. Heaven forbid I have to make a phone call... I'm not allowed to do it and if I do it anyway, I'm risking a reprimand.

Don't knock teaching until you've tried it. If this is your attitude, you wouldn't last one month in the field.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
I have a close relative who is a 2nd-grade teacher. She graduated from a respected university, yet I am stunned at how uneducated she is. I don't know what they teach people who get Bacherlor's degrees in "Elementary Education", but this woman seems to have no real knowledge above Winnie-the Pooh and Harry Potter books.

Also, she is home from work every afternoon by 3:30, has a lot of time off throughout the year with all the holidays, winter and spring breaks and summer. And what does she do? She complains that her students are all "brats" and whines about how exhausting her job is. She has only 20 students in her class, which doesn't seem that overwhelming to me, especially since she is a youthful 27 years old and has no children of her own to take care of.
If I sound offensive, I apologize, but it seems like you're jealous of her? She may seem uneducated to you and doesn't know much beyond winnie-the-pooh or harry potter but lets face it. these are the type of books you teach in elementary school. She spends day in and day out with young children so forgive her if she doesn't have time to read more important things after she comes home at that glorious 3:30 pm to grade papers and plan for her next class, or go to a pta meeting, or any other thing she may do that you may not be aware of. i'm sure that when school starts year round, she'll have to work longer hours. And lets me honest. Kids these days are far from behaved and tend to be a little more spoiled from when we were all in school, so if she calls someone a brat, she is probabably correct with that assumption.
again, not trying to be offensive but your relative would be far more offended by reading what you wrote about her.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
In the proper forum, a parent's input is invaluable- and many parents voice concerns in a respectful way. HOWEVER, there are parents who feel that the teachers are the hired hands and not professionals who know what they're doing.
So it seems that MUTUAL respect is in order...agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
My best guess is that your job does not entail all-day meeting schedules or all-day consecutive surgeries or all-day consecutive court cases, every single day of the Monday-Friday work week. You probably get at least an hour for lunch and if there's no meeting you have to attend immediately after lunch, you probably don't get in trouble for staying out for an hour and ten minutes.

I used to work at a corporation and we got to choose our own hours within reason. If I had something I needed to get done during the afternoon, I'd come into work at 6 and leave by 2:30. If I had something to do in the morning, I'd come in at 10 and leave by 6:30. Most people do have flexible schedules like that. A lot of hourly workers whose companies are open 7 days a week have the occasional weekday off... usually at least once a week or certainly once every two weeks. Teachers don't have that luxury. Do you know when most businesses are open for business? 8 AM to 4:30 PM. Do you know when I am REQUIRED to be in school come hell or high water? 8 AM to 4:30 PM. How much stuff do you suppose I can accomplish in the course of a day when my lunch period is but 40 minutes long?

Heaven forbid I'm ONE MINUTE LATE getting back from lunch... I'll have students piled up at the door of my classroom and it sure as heck looks bad for me. Heaven forbid I have to make a phone call... I'm not allowed to do it and if I do it anyway, I'm risking a reprimand.

Don't knock teaching until you've tried it. If this is your attitude, you wouldn't last one month in the field.
Are you really serious? You are complaining that you have to actually be at your job, doing your job, during the hours that your students are? Isn't that a pretty basic part of the job description?? What do you expect the students to do if you are late from lunch because you are making personal phone calls and they are stacking up in the hall? You should get a reprimand!!

As for places being open only until 4:30, I can't think of many that have such limited hours anymore. I can't think of much that can't get done on a Saturday or after school hours these days. You also get occasional days off as well and can plan those difficult to schedule appointments for those days. Besides, your students and their parents face many of the same scheduling issues (believe it or not, most people DON'T have flex hours at work) and yet they manage somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching