Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,020 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about parental involvment.

What does “parental involvement” look like to you? What exactly does it entail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,032 times
* Make sure that the school has the correct phone number. We have parents at my school who purposely make sure teachers and administrators cannot contact them.
* Talk to teachers when they do call without blaming the teacher.
* Volunteer at the school or chaperone on field trips if possible.
* Make sure that children do homework (but don't do it for them).
* Emphasize education, respect for school staff, and the importance of behaving to children.
* Join the PTA.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
* Make sure that the school has the correct phone number. We have parents at my school who purposely make sure teachers and administrators cannot contact them.
* Talk to teachers when they do call without blaming the teacher.
* Volunteer at the school or chaperone on field trips if possible.
* Make sure that children do homework (but don't do it for them).
* Emphasize education, respect for school staff, and the importance of behaving to children.
* Join the PTA.
ITA.

An involved parent is a part of the education team. Team "duties" (haha) include, as charz pointed out, emphasizing the importance of education. Kids need to a desire to learn because it's not something the school can do alone.

Parents also need to know and be interested in what their kids are learning, and to be there for them when they have questions. Be proactive. They shouldn't wait for the questions to come; parents need to open the doors to communication. Have the child 'teach' the parent something interesting they learned in school. Learning is an active process. The more kids THINK about and EXPLAIN what they learned at school, the greater the likelihood they'll comprehend the material. They can't do this with a parent who isn't involved.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,296 times
Know what your child is learning. Care about it. Show that you care about it by looking over papers he/she brings home, and, when you have a spare moment, do one of the little suggested activities together.

Come to Back to School Night and your conferences.

Make sure your child comes to school ready to learn - good night's sleep, ate breakfast, brought a backpack or folder and his/her homework, etc.

Read a story to them daily. Let them see you reading for information.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,096 times
i agree 100% with all the above posts and i'll add encourage your child to get involved in extracurricular activities. kids who are involved in after school organized sports, clubs, etc. are far less likely to be involved in negative activities. and if your child chooses sports, attend the games!! and if they choose drama, go to the plays!! also, most teachers have email addresses.....contact your child's teacher(s) with any concerns you have. and i have to repeat bigcats suggestion, READ nightly to your child. this is hugely important in developing reading and writing skills and vocabulary. and it's fun. as your child gets older, take turns reading.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM

I want to thank everyone for their input!

It seems that parental involvement simply means being a responsible parent. Indeed, after reviewing the comments it appears we're too involved. This may explain some of the frustration we have experienced over the years.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input!

It seems that parental involvement simply means being a responsible parent. Indeed, after reviewing the comments it appears we're too involved. This may explain some of the frustration we have experienced over the years.

Thanks again for all your help!
I don't think you can ever be too involved, it's your child and being a parent is the most important job you'll ever have. I love that you are taking it seriously!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I don't think you can ever be too involved, it's your child and being a parent is the most important job you'll ever have. I love that you are taking it seriously!
I agree, however I believe the meaning of parental involvement by educators simply means; be a parent. My definition of parental involvement goes further to include, but not limited to, volunteer work, sharing responsibility in decision making at the school and district level, collaborating with community organizations that reflect school and community objectives for all children.

We have found that when our definition is put into practice a fair number of educators are intimidated and become standoffish.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,601 times
I think you might strike some people as not involved but checking up and maybe they are taking offense to that. I personally go out of my way to call every parent once or twice a month to just say hi...and I have 6 classes of students. So, going to board meetings and having input is part of your job, in my eyes. I went to Catholic school my whole life and the actions you are describing were required of my parents. My mom was on Mothers' Club and did a million things. My parents worked the bazaars. There are some areas where things look good on paper in parents' eyes and they might push it too far, but in reality those words put into action do not work and teachers or staff who have been in and see all the aspects know that. Sometimes there is a clash in how to get there, but we all have the same goal in mind.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,709 times
My children are in high school, and I'm a member of the school PTO. It's just amazing to me how many parents simply don't get involved. I've been to 3 meetings so far this year and out of all the parents, it's been about 6 of us.

I volunteer to make phone calls a day or two before the meetings to parents. It also amazes me how many wrong and disconnected numbers there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching