Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 14,107 times

Advertisements

Being unemployed, I have lots of time on my hands so I am devoting my self to education over at the local community college. Being in my early forties I am older and more mature than many of my classmates. I am paying such close attention and actively participating in class.

I can tell my teachers are so frustrated at the lack of intellectual interest in many of the students. Many just put their heads down and draw pictures or text during class. Others refuse to respond when called on and others roll their eyes when the teacher tries to get enthusiastic about the topic you can tell he or she loves more than the students!

Again, these are not high school kids but people in their 20s and 30s. They appear to be passing the test and doing the homework assignments, and are passing but their lack of interest is kind of scary. Don't they know we are in a recession and only the best and brightest are going to survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Service Man View Post
Being unemployed, I have lots of time on my hands so I am devoting my self to education over at the local community college. Being in my early forties I am older and more mature than many of my classmates. I am paying such close attention and actively participating in class.

I can tell my teachers are so frustrated at the lack of intellectual interest in many of the students. Many just put their heads down and draw pictures or text during class. Others refuse to respond when called on and others roll their eyes when the teacher tries to get enthusiastic about the topic you can tell he or she loves more than the students!

Again, these are not high school kids but people in their 20s and 30s. They appear to be passing the test and doing the homework assignments, and are passing but their lack of interest is kind of scary. Don't they know we are in a recession and only the best and brightest are going to survive?
This somewhat remind me of believe of Jim Thorpe. I read he used to go to practice and do nothing. I believe he used to go to sleep. However, anytime he was out there in the field, he excelled. Do you think the coach minded? Apparently not because the guy delivered. If I was the instructor and I saw a student sleeping and it was such a distraction to me when teaching, I would just tell the student to leave the class after he checked in. I would also tell him that he would not get any breaks if he fails the test. If I had not suspicion of cheating, I have not problem with it. However, I would still enourage them to listen and participate in the class.

What I also do is some serious introspection. Am not no a skilled enough instructor to keep students awake and interested?

You have great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
If the instructor does not have classroom discussion / activity as part of his grading and has said so in the syllabus there is nothing he should be doing about it.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I see this all the time in my college classes as well, depending on the class. A lot of the classes are boring or required and the students just don't want to be there anyways but need to be to get their degree. Since it's a college-level class I don't think anything really needs to be done about it unless class participation is a large part of the grade (and I hate hate HATE when teachers do that BTW, but some classes even have the online-discussion boards set up if students don't want to speak up in class).

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM

242 posts, read 788,897 times
Last semester in my microbiology class this one young lady was always absent but she got A's on all of her tests so I guess she was studying at home and felt she did not have to come and participate in class. I couldnt imagine missing a mircobiology class, way to info to miss out on.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
Last semester in my microbiology class this one young lady was always absent but she got A's on all of her tests so I guess she was studying at home and felt she did not have to come and participate in class. I couldnt imagine missing a mircobiology class, way to info to miss out on.
I can tell you I had a couple classes where it was easier for me to just study the material at home and zone out in class, because the teacher was INSANE. Microeconomics was one of those classes.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM

242 posts, read 788,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I can tell you I had a couple classes where it was easier for me to just study the material at home and zone out in class, because the teacher was INSANE. Microeconomics was one of those classes.
LOL..microeconomics was so hard for me, not only did I find it super boring but the instructor was horrible. But microbiology was a breeze, go figure. I also had an insane teacher that would yell at students if they asked a question because they didnt understand. By the middle of the semester, students were afraid to ask questions. I think it was time for that professor to retire

Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
LOL..microeconomics was so hard for me, not only did I find it super boring but the instructor was horrible. But microbiology was a breeze, go figure. I also had an insane teacher that would yell at students if they asked a question because they didnt understand. By the middle of the semester, students were afraid to ask questions. I think it was time for that professor to retire
haha did we have the same prof? mine spent most of his time teaching microecon backwards. I mean he'd work the problems out one way, and I didn't understand, but when I would go home and do them the reverse, I could get them to work. plus he could hardly speak english. oh, college...

Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Service Man View Post

Maybe they are passing because they are the best and brightest. Not sure that if they are passing and doing well and not showing a lot of interest if that is going to impact their GPA. Community college can be a hodgepodge of ability levels with students go their because of not being able to get into a decent four year school or because they are strong students but couldn't afford a four year school. That mix can create boredom in the stronger students. Any teacher who has students sleeping in class and still passing needs to look at their instructional techniques and determine why anyone needs to be in class if you don't need to pay attention. You are probably hungrier than many of them are and have a perspective they don't. Also remember most public community colleges have open admission and everyone gets in. If you can't meet a performance standard you take prep courses until you can but you can still call yourself a college student.

Research: News: Stanford GSB
STANFORD GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS—The United States once produced the highest percentage of bachelor's degrees in the world but now trails behind five other countries including Canada, Japan, and South Korea. Nearly 80 percent of the nation's post-secondary students attend non-selective four-year and community colleges, and less than half of those students graduate. What's going on in American higher education?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Well I dozed off through plenty of classes. I never put my head down on the table though. I was just tired from studying the night before. I tried very hard to stay awake but I just couldn't. It wasn't because I didn't respect the instructor. I graduated with a GPA of 3.9 in Engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching