Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. The important question is whether having a teaching credential is correlated with "being a good teacher". There are a number of studies that show the answer is "no, not really". And again, our college system does not require them. I guess a professor at Harvard is not a "professional" like a elementary school teacher...

And please for the love of god don't compare doctors, lawyers and nurses...hell even teachers..to real estate agents! Its an insult of the highest degree.

Doctors, lawyers and nurses should be licensed. There is little evidence that indicates its important in teaching. But there was already a thread on this, so I'll end it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. The important question is whether having a teaching credential is correlated with "being a good teacher". There are a number of studies that show the answer is "no, not really". And again, our college system does not require them. I guess a professor at Harvard is not a "professional" like a elementary school teacher...

And please for the love of god don't compare doctors, lawyers and nurses...hell even teachers..to real estate agents! Its an insult of the highest degree.

Doctors, lawyers and nurses should be licensed. There is little evidence that indicates its important in teaching. But there was already a thread on this, so I'll end it here.
The same question can be asked about whether or not a doctor's or lawyer's license is correlated with being a good doctor or lawyer. What gets me is no one asks a doctor to prove his credentials, we just ASSume that he's good because of all of the schooling and training he or she has to do.

The same applies to teachers. If I want to refine my teaching, and grow as a professional, I HAVE TO HAVE TRAINING AND STAFF DEVELPMENT--simple as that, if I want to keep my CREDENTIAL RENEWED

Not that I am bragging, I am a graduate of UCLA, and I also have a MA degree in Education with 16 years of experience. So, hopefully my college education as well as my MA degree make me HIGHLY QUALIFIED TO TEACH elementary aged children.

The question for you is do my two degrees and experience make me less than any other professions who have to go through the many years of schooling and training? I guess-TO YOU-it does, simply because I hold, in your opinion, a dumb teacher's license.

Last edited by antredd; 05-06-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The question for you is do my two degrees and experience make me less than any other professions who have to go through the many years of schooling and training? I guess to you it does simply because I hold, in your opinion a dumb teacher's license.
You are taking my comments as an attack on teachers skill, but that is not the point at all.

I'm not arguing that teaching does not require education and training, I'm arguing that the credential programs and licensing is unnecessary as vital requirement.

There are multiple ways one can gain teaching experience outside of a credential program. What makes someone with a C-average, bachelors and credential from your local state school more qualified to teach than a Ph.d with 5~6 years experience TAing/Lecturing/Teaching and awards for student teaching? Nothing. I've known a view people like this, they ended up teaching at private schools getting paid about the same. The rich kids benefit while the kids in the public school system get C average Sally Sue.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You are taking my comments as an attack on teachers skill, but that is not the point at all.

I'm not arguing that teaching does not require education and training, I'm arguing that the credential programs and licensing is unnecessary as vital requirement.

There are multiple ways one can gain teaching experience outside of a credential program. What makes someone with a C-average, bachelors and credential from your local state school more qualified to teach than a Ph.d with 5~6 years experience TAing/Lecturing/Teaching and awards for student teaching? Nothing. I've known a view people like this, they ended up teaching at private schools getting paid about the same. The rich kids benefit while the kids in the public school system get C average Sally Sue.
Well I got your point, and you are not getting mine. CA makes a lot of money off of us 300,000 credentialed teachers, every time I renew mine, which is every 5 years, they go ching ching. So I got your point, and I do apologize if I came back at you like you were attacking us teachers, but again, CA won't stop that as long as it's revenue for them to make money.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Well I got your point, and you are not getting mine. CA makes a lot of money off of us 300,000 credentialed teachers, every time I renew mine, which is every 5 years, they go ching ching. So I got your point, and I do apologize if I came back at you like you were attacking us teachers, but again, CA won't stop that as long as it's revenue for them to make money.
Schools of education control the pedagogy, research and certification etc. It is the professors cash cow and they without teaching K-12 know best.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Schools of education control the pedagogy, research and certification etc. It is the professors cash cow and they without teaching K-12 know best.
I love your short and very wise responses. Thank you! You make some powerful points in such short responses. I wanna grow up and be like you....

Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I love your short and very wise responses. Thank you! You make some powerful points in such short responses. I wanna grow up and be like you....
LOL that is hilarious for a lot of reasons. I appreciate the complement and the reason I say it is hilarious is because you are a reflective thinker and over the course of your career you will contribute much. At some point you will kick back and reflect on it all and share as you are now doing. Not sure how old you are and I will probably not be around to read it. I am sure that you will be fair and objective with considerable wisdom to be offered.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
LOL that is hilarious for a lot of reasons. I appreciate the complement and the reason I say it is hilarious is because you are a reflective thinker and over the course of your career you will contribute much. At some point you will kick back and reflect on it all and share as you are now doing. Not sure how old you are and I will probably not be around to read it. I am sure that you will be fair and objective with considerable wisdom to be offered.
If you saw my picture in my profile, I am a very handsome and hot 42 year old man--at least my wife says I am..... I am sure I will get bashed for reflecting on my looks as well...he he he.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
If you saw my picture in my profile, I am a very handsome and hot 42 year old man--at least my wife says I am..... I am sure I will get bashed for reflecting on my looks as well...he he he.
42 I may still be around. You are about to head into the home stretch. Are you on target with retirement? Now is the key time to have your plan in focus and working.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
not sure about that... I am about sick of the rat race and working on a different degree...with possibility of teaching once I complete it. I've done it, walked circles around people in it, I just don't like it, seen one to many cubicle farms, money is less of an issue anymore. Time and fulfillment are more important. I don't want to teach h.s. kids though...they generally don't teach the subject matter I'm interested in teaching. More research/writing with teaching on the side is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching