Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,546 times

Advertisements

One again the New York City Board of Education has decided not to pay many of its substitute teachers. The last time we did not get paid was the pay period before Xmas when they left us high and dry. That makes it the forth time this year. The regular teachers got their pay bet since the city has little or no respect for us they showed little concern for our welfare. I am not sure who I blame more! The wonderful UTF of New York City cares little for us also as members! It's just fine when they take our unions dues but they do nothing for us. We get no benefits, no representation and when we have a problem we have no one to talk to. You would think the city would have some respect for us. Many of the schools in which we work at are like working at the Rikers Island jail. Many of us, including myself have our masters in education and are certified. We sub as a means of networking but with a hiring freeze going on within the NYC board of education; it makes little sense to work for them. There are other districts outside the city which have asked me to join their ranks.. Perhaps it's time for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,732 times
What do you mean they're not paying you?
They're just flat-out withholding your pay?
Is that even legal?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Is that even legal?
Well since they establish the pay periods for when we get paid and do nothing to keep those schedules, I guess it means they are withholding pay. You can't even get a hold of them. Their telephone like are always busy. Is it legal? That is a good question.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Well since they establish the pay periods for when we get paid and do nothing to keep those schedules, I guess it means they are withholding pay. You can't even get a hold of them. Their telephone like are always busy. Is it legal? That is a good question.
"Is it legal?"

Not if you can prove that you worked the hours..

Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"Is it legal?"

Not if you can prove that you worked the hours..
What kind of answer is that? Well I can prove it. I just have to log into the city website and behold there are the days I worked! Besides do you think I am the only one who did not get paid? On Friday the principal of the school I worked at told me there was a payroll screw up. I've been told this a number of times before. It sounds like there was a budget problem and we subs were an easy target since our brave UFT union only uses us to collect union dues without actually helping us.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Is that even legal?
"What kind of answer is that?"

To the above quoted post, that kind of answer..

Old 06-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
What kind of answer is that? Well I can prove it. I just have to log into the city website and behold there are the days I worked! Besides do you think I am the only one who did not get paid? On Friday the principal of the school I worked at told me there was a payroll screw up. I've been told this a number of times before. It sounds like there was a budget problem and we subs were an easy target since our brave UFT union only uses us to collect union dues without actually helping us.
"we subs were an easy target since our brave UFT union only uses us to collect union dues without actually helping us."

Then don't pay the dues....

Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,940 times
Quote:
What's up with the snarky responses today? You were given a valid answer. Since you do have proof (you're time card, right?) then they have no reason to withhold your pay. I have not heard of any of the subs in my school not being paid on time. So, it sounds like a school-wide issue. Speak to the payroll secretary. Also, call the DOE's department of payroll. You can also go to Manhattan and speak to them in person.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"we subs were an easy target since our brave UFT union only uses us to collect union dues without actually helping us."

Then don't pay the dues....
We have no choice but to pay dues. It's the price you pay for teaching.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
What's up with the snarky responses today? You were given a valid answer. Since you do have proof (you're time card, right?) then they have no reason to withhold your pay. I have not heard of any of the subs in my school not being paid on time. So, it sounds like a school-wide issue. Speak to the payroll secretary. Also, call the DOE's department of payroll. You can also go to Manhattan and speak to them in person.
I did call them and they told me the district I worked for during the weeks in question did not attempt to get their business together. They finally reported my days worked to the city payroll department. The payroll secretary was careless in her responsibilities and the city has been trying to get after those districts which fail to perform their job responsibilities. I'll say one thing; I will never work for that district again and will pass my knowledge to other subs. It was a bad district to work for. You would think they would be nice to us and pay us on time because of the abuse we suffer from many of the students. Talk about adding injury to insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching