Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:28 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,917,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
No one is asking you to have any sympathy I was just stating that living in the bay area where I live $40,000 is not a lot of money at all. You cannot even afford a home with that salary. I used to make $45,000 a year and between rent, childcare, gas, utilities food and other items needed I was check to check.
This is a very difficult discussion to have in a forum thread. People are discussing apples and oranges. What 40K brings to the table in San Francisco is very different from small town Iowa. How people can argue this living in different areas with different costs is very telling about a lack of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,396,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This is a very difficult discussion to have in a forum thread. People are discussing apples and oranges. What 40K brings to the table in San Francisco is very different from small town Iowa. How people can argue this living in different areas with different costs is very telling about a lack of something.
I agree with you Tuborg. But in CA a starting salary of 42,000, especially when the government is offering so many incentives to buy houses that have significanly dropped recently, then $42,000 a year certainly allows a teacher to buy something. I know the homes in my neighborhood shot up as high as $600,000, now they smallest model has dropped below $200,000. With the interest rates being about 5% and homes under $200,000 in my area, a teacher making $42,000 most definetly can afford to at least buy a condo that's even cheaper, and pay about the same in mortgage as he or she would be paying for an apartment. At least he or she can get a tax write-off and bring home a little extra money for buying instead of renting.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 AM

239 posts, read 351,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
40k isn't too bad to start. Isn't the take home after taxes about 2000, give or take 300 bucks?
Its what i started out with as a nurse, i mean there are many professions that start out around that pay. Sometimes they act as if it is below the poverty line.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
No one is forcing anyone to stay in an area with an outrageous cost of living, so the whole smartass comment thing isn't necessary. If I make 100k a year and then move to downtown new york I wouldn't expect any sympathy for my "living paycheck to paycheck."

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,396,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
Its what i started out with as a nurse, i mean there are many professions that start out around that pay. Sometimes they act as if it is below the poverty line.
I agree with you. Now when I first started teaching in 1993, my starting salary was $26,000, and because our test scores dropped the previoius year, the district cut our salaries 3%, mind you, this school district I worked for had about 70% brand new teachers, it was a revolving door. Not that brand new teachers can't raise test scores, but most of them were dealing with disrputive students and drug babies at that time.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,101,685 times
Beginning teachers here in CO start at 33K annually and typically live paycheck to paycheck if single with kids. I have two masters degrees and make 41K. I don't have the health insurance but do have the dental and life insurance and I max out my 401K in PERA. My take home is 2500 monthly. If you rent an apt, you can expect to pay between 500-800 monthly and if you have kids its pretty much 800+. Daycare is a good 100 a week. If you do the health insurance, plan on an extra 300 coming out of your check.

Here is a sample page for teacher salaries here in Colorado Springs.
Untitled

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
No one is forcing anyone to stay in an area with an outrageous cost of living, so the whole smartass comment thing isn't necessary. If I make 100k a year and then move to downtown new york I wouldn't expect any sympathy for my "living paycheck to paycheck."
The issue was about them living paycheck to paycheck as you seem to now be willing to acknowledge is possible on 40K based on the cost of living in a given area. There are areas of the country that have special housing programs for public servants knowing that they can't afford to live there. So what exactly did you thing my comment that it reflected a lack of something was referring to? I left it blank so as not to infer anything specific. I would roll my eyes but my teacher told me that didn't impress anyone and wanted to give me detention for it. I still don't get the hand thing and always associated it with this current student generation.

Could it have been a lack of shared geographical experiences or family situation?
Lack of information to compare and see if arguments are comparable?
Etc

Note the person you were responding to indicated child care. That brings to the table several questions related to your familiarity with their family situation. How many children do they have and are they married etc. How many mouths are they trying to feed etc. Those are basic questions that would make their situation something or other more.

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-17-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I will respond minus body language. For the current school year in the San Francisco United School District a family of 4 with income of $39,200 was eligible for the reduced lunch program and a family of 5 with income of $45,880 was eligible. Not sure how many kids they have since they didn't give a number. They might also be eligible for the affordable housing program which had a cap in previous years at over 51K. All of which support their statement of living paycheck to paycheck in that geographic location.
http://portal.sfusd.edu/data/news/pd...ss.release.pdf

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-17-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
The issue was about them living paycheck to paycheck as you seem to now be willing to acknowledge is possible on 40K based on the cost of living in a given area. There are areas of the country that have special housing programs for public servants knowing that they can't afford to live there. So what exactly did you thing my comment that it reflected a lack of something was referring to? I left it blank so as not to infer anything specific. I would roll my eyes but my teacher told me that didn't impress anyone and wanted to give me detention for it. I still don't get the hand thing and always associated it with this current student generation.

Could it have been a lack of shared geographical experiences or family situation?
Lack of information to compare and see if arguments are comparable?
Etc

Note the person you were responding to indicated child care. That brings to the table several questions related to your familiarity with their family situation. How many children do they have and are they married etc. How many mouths are they trying to feed etc. Those are basic questions that would make their situation something or other more.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I will respond minus body language. For the current school year in the San Francisco United School District a family of 4 with income of $39,200 was eligible for the reduced lunch program and a family of 5 with income of $45,880 was eligible. Not sure how many kids they have since they didn't give a number. They might also be eligible for the affordable housing program which had a cap in previous years at over 51K. All of which support their statement of living paycheck to paycheck in that geographic location.
http://portal.sfusd.edu/data/news/pd...ss.release.pdf
Like I said, I have no pitty for someone that lives in a very very high cost of living area. If they are struggling that much, they should move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching