U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM

27,767 posts, read 45,280,376 times

Advertisements

For a 5-year-old Miami student who came home from school with a cut lip from being kicked in the face, the bully wasn't a playground menace -- it was, she alleges, her teacher.

Sex to Assault: Teachers Busted for Kicking Students, Showing Up Drunk, Having Affairs With Students - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,010,718 times
I am not sure I believe the teacher struck the student. From my experience students often lie to save face and stay out of trouble. Even some of the parents will fabricate lies in order to sue the school system. Just remember that this teacher might be the accused but he is not guilty until he is proven so by a jury of his peers. I have seen this type of thing all too often in NYC and it is usually a rouse put on by the students and parents in order to sue for damages.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:13 AM

41,664 posts, read 47,510,225 times
One or two people act up and now you're saying 'what is up with teachers?' like they all have some grand conspiracy to misbehave?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 AM

249 posts, read 643,535 times
Quote:
"There will always be the case, as in every part of society, where there are a few bad apples," he said. "Those bad apples are not representative of the profession as a whole."
Taken directly from the article. It says it all. You can find nut jobs in any profession. You only hear about the teachers because it makes for good headlines. You never read about all the good things that teachers do for their students, because people want to read the negative.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 PM

603 posts, read 2,034,355 times
What's up is this: Once again, a teacher who has been accused but not been found guilty in a court of law is being used to make an inaccurate point that all teachers are now evil because of this and a few other incidents. All of the teacher headlines make up a very small percentage of teachers. Most teachers are caring individuals who take their job to protect and teach children very seriously. If I see one more post about "bad teachers" I may throw my computer out the window. However, then I would be labeled as an "angry out-of-control teacher who vandalizes property", so maybe I won't do that.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:32 PM

4,551 posts, read 5,732,032 times
Students lie at all ages. I am a teacher and neither I, nor any teacher I know would intentionally, purposely assault a student except to defend ourselves. Even in self defense wouldn't happen often.

Last year a student claimed I assaulted her. Her mother had me arrested, I had to go to the jail and turn myself in and go through the arrest procedure, and make bail. I have never so much as had a speeding ticket. Throughout the entire investigation the mother filed a lawsuit against me and the school system.

When it was proved that I never even touched the child and she was just trying to cover her own butt for being out of class, the parent nor the student never apologized. And she waited over a year to drop her lawsuit.

Also let me add that during the 08-09 school year, I was in the ER three times for assaults to my body by students (2 accidental, 1 intentional) and a student threatened to kill me.

Now what was the original poster saying about "What's Up With America's Teachers"!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Students lie at all ages. I am a teacher and neither I, nor any teacher I know would intentionally, purposely assault a student except to defend ourselves. Even in self defense wouldn't happen often.

Last year a student claimed I assaulted her. Her mother had me arrested, I had to go to the jail and turn myself in and go through the arrest procedure, and make bail. I have never so much as had a speeding ticket. Throughout the entire investigation the mother filed a lawsuit against me and the school system.

When it was proved that I never even touched the child and she was just trying to cover her own butt for being out of class, the parent nor the student never apologized. And she waited over a year to drop her lawsuit.

Also let me add that during the 08-09 school year, I was in the ER three times for assaults to my body by students (2 accidental, 1 intentional) and a student threatened to kill me.

Now what was the original poster saying about "What's Up With America's Teachers"!
Did you counter sue her for damages? The mother and daughter are real trash. She did so hoping she could sue the district for damages and when it fell through because it was untrue she did not have the guts to admit she was wrong, even if it meant destroying some one else’s career. I hope you are teaching again.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM

241 posts, read 687,413 times
You can also say the same for students, at a Portola Jr. Highschool a female music teacher was kicked, punched and pelted with rocks by several students. Just a sad situation all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or