Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times

Advertisements

Ivorytickler~

We'd snatch you up in a hearbeat in our district, and pay you for all of your years of experience in education (and you could probably negotiate for a few of your industry years as well). Your dual certification would make you so marketable they wouldn't bat an eye at what they had to pay to get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sure you could put a Health Aide in to do those things. Then you'd complain that the Kindergarten class was costing too much because you'd still have the teacher there. Doing the things that they do which, in today's education world, means that when when that kid leaves Kindergarten he/she has the skills that a 1st grader had leaving that grade 20 years ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Sure you could put a Health Aide in to do those things. Then you'd complain that the Kindergarten class was costing too much because you'd still have the teacher there."

My intent was to state that the Health Aide would replace the 'teacher'.

I don't care what schooling costs, as now how I have set up my family's life: we pay no property tax (except for police/fire/roads support), we pay no income tax (other than Federal, but almost all is buried in tax-deferred investments), and no state tax. (Live Free or Die!)

I didn't make the schooling mess... I just chose to not have anything to do with it, in any way.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

I don't care what schooling costs, as now how I have set up my family's life: we pay no property tax (except for police/fire/roads support), we pay no income tax (other than Federal, but almost all is buried in tax-deferred investments), and no state tax. (Live Free or Die!)

Didn't you say

"I dump $1500/month in property tax just to support the school system"

??????

Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Didn't you say

"I dump $1500/month in property tax just to support the school system"

??????

I did say that, and I do pay that. I am in the process of moving just a little distance away, to unincorporated land (I stated that in another post). No school taxes whatsoever. Live Free or Die!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM

234 posts, read 882,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
But many of the teachers who are making the higher salaries have be 25+ years working in their school districts. So I think that needs to be considered.
You might start at a decent salary (say $40,000-ish as you state,) but generally, it will take those teachers 25 years to get to the $80,000 plus levels.

Of course you can move up to that faster by getting master or doctoral degrees, special certifications or administrative certifications i.e. vice principal, principal, etc.

I still think that overall, for the continued professional development required for teachers and the need for masters degrees and such, it is still a profession that is underpaid.
You can just look up salary and assume a teacher is being overpaid because they are NOT.
Teacher unfortunately underpaid.
And beside teachers should have the best salary how do you think you got where you have gotten through a teacher right? (thesixth )

I agree with you it is a underpaid profession that is for sure.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sure you could put a Health Aide in to do those things. Then you'd complain that the Kindergarten class was costing too much because you'd still have the teacher there. Doing the things that they do which, in today's education world, means that when when that kid leaves Kindergarten he/she has the skills that a 1st grader had leaving that grade 20 years ago.
i think that teacher aide should get the same salary as a teacher...

because imagine in a classroom with like 20 kids ages 3 and 4 who does the most work is a teacher aide the teacher things she is above that smalls stuff..

I mean seriously there are some teachers who abuse the work of a teacher aide making them do all the work while they just sit there.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

I did say that, and I do pay that. I am in the process of moving just a little distance away, to unincorporated land (I stated that in another post). No school taxes whatsoever. Live Free or Die!

I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that if you live in an unincorporated area that you pay no school taxes? Does that then mean that those that live in incorporated areas pay the entire freight for schools and for the kids from the unincorporated areas?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Romila, Children here in the US start kindergarten at age 5. Any reported salaries are going to be for children in K - 12. In Pennsylvania, where the salaries are the starting topic, kindergarten is not state mandated. A teachers aide rarely has to do any lesson planning and is in the classroom mainly to assist the teacher. She is normally not a co-teacher and in some schools is not state certified.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Default Oh okay didn't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Romila, Children here in the US start kindergarten at age 5. Any reported salaries are going to be for children in K - 12. In Pennsylvania, where the salaries are the starting topic, kindergarten is not state mandated. A teachers aide rarely has to do any lesson planning and is in the classroom mainly to assist the teacher. She is normally not a co-teacher and in some schools is not state certified.
True you have a point.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that if you live in an unincorporated area that you pay no school taxes? Does that then mean that those that live in incorporated areas pay the entire freight for schools and for the kids from the unincorporated areas?

Quote:"I don't quite understand this. Are you saying that if you live in an unincorporated area that you pay no school taxes?

In one word, yes. (Frequently, though there are exceptions).

Quote:"Does that then mean that those that live in incorporated areas pay the entire freight for schools and for the kids from the unincorporated areas?"

In another single word, No.

As a strong believer in 'pay for the services you use', (fire protection, police protection, state roads plowed, etc)... that is the attraction to unincorporated land. If you have kids living with you on unincorporated land, you better bring your checkbook, and find somewhere for them to go to school, which is the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching