U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

For those who complain about teachers salaries, keep this in mind. . . Teachers are educating our future. Many teachers are verbally and physically abused by students everyday. How many of you with your Masters degree in your field have been kicked, spit on, called names, etc on a regular basis?? Also, teachers are forced to have a determined number of Act 80 classes that they have to pay for out of that salary. In addition, teachers take their work home with them in the form of grading, preparing for classes, writing out lesson plans, etc. Teachers also often spend their own money on manipulatives for the classroom. How many other professionals are forced to go out to purchase tools for their offices? It makes that 80,000 after working for 25 years or so look WAY better, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM

831 posts, read 1,281,572 times
This is just the salaries for one area. When my husband taught high school in WV in 2007 as a first year teacher he made $28,600 a year. He brough home just a little over $400 a week. So not all teachers are bring home the big bucks. While I don't think a teacher making close to $100,000 a yr should complain about their pay, I can see where a teacher making under $30,000 may be a little upset.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM

28,981 posts, read 32,819,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I love this link:

PA Teachers Search

You can look up the salary of any PA public school teacher, either by teacher names or by a whole school district.

I was shocked that in my school district (which doesn't perform well, but where they like to keep increasing school distict taxes) most of the teachers make over $70,000.

Whatever happened to that old claim that teachers make a modest salary? I have a Master's degree in a mental health field, and I don't earn as much as these teachers with only a Bachelor's. The few that show up making in the 30,000 range end up being part-timers. The newest teachers, right out of school, make in the mid 40's.

Check it out. But a word of warning: your head might explode! And just think, this is their salary not including all that's spent on their benefits.

I did have difficulty finding Philly teachers salaries, as all that came up were charter schools. Maybe Phila blocked their regular public school teachers from showing up on the site?

Do teachers deserve to be paid well? Sure, the good ones do. Do they deserve 80 grand? maybe very few. But I just hate the continual bellyaching I hear from the teachers who complain that teachers are so underpaid.
So are you working with your neighbors to throw out of office the elected officials who appropriated the money and the board of education that allocated the money? Perhaps your viewpoint is a minority in your community. Why don't you put it to the test and organize against the current system and get back to us with how successful you are. Gaining the opinion and support of those in a forum who don't live in your district will have what local impact?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How big are the districts? I just found an article while searching that says our superintendent was renewed at $266,292 in 2007, but that is for a district with about 170,000 students, 14,000 teachers and a budget of $2.1 billion.

If a superintendent is making the numbers you mentioned and has 300 employees, that seems really high in comparison.
Not if they want to compete and have a superintendent as competent and forward thinking as a larger district. Should smaller districts settle for second and third tier administrators and teachers. At any rate that is for each local district and tax payer to collectively decide what their shared educational journey will look like. Local determination is important isn't it?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM

Teachers you ought not feel that you need to justify your salary and benefits to anonymous forum posters. If you are well paid it is because the residents of your district value education and the job you are doing. If someone else doesn't why worry unless they move to your district and can actually convince people on the ground where you work? Sit back smirk and enjoy their envy. Believe me many well paid teachers who are lurking are. They could have done what you did and enjoy the benefits they are so envious of. Obviously the either couldn't cut the mustard or made other decisions. Hopefully their decisions are working out as well for them as yours did for you. The is not a performance discussion but a envy discussion it would appear.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM

9,205 posts, read 17,486,583 times
1. Yes, I do work actively to teach other people in my community about exactly where their school taxes go. I don't just sit around and gripe.
2. I do not "envy" the teachers. I'm not even saying they shouldn't be paid well. I'm saying that all the bellyaching about not being paid well is not based on any fact.
3. As said in another post, plenty of people in all professions take work home with them and work 10+ hour days. This is not something unique to teachers.
4. I did not post this to gain support from anyone here or to try to change things in my community. I posted it as a discussion topic and an "FYI" for others in PA.
5. If the salaries were comensurate with the actual performance of a school, then I'd be more willing to believe the hypothesis that pouring more money into schools, teachers salaries & benefits, and unions means better education for the kids. But I've yet to see reliable proof of that hypothesis. Where I live, more & more people in the "best" school districts are sending their kids to private education/tutoring centers to help make up for what they have not learned in school.
6. Yes, I've worked in places where I've been cursed out, spit at, bitten. My co-workers have been hit and kicked (I've been fortunate). It doesn't just happen in a school setting. I'm in behavioral health--mental health & developmental disabilities. If salary level needs to be connect to the hazards like this, then the folks who work with people with mental retardation/ developmental disabilities "deserve" even better than teachers get. And if danger/hazard is to be the basis for a high salary, then why are police officers paid so little compared with teachers? I don't think hazards should be the basis for one's salary. It should be performance, period. Excellent teachers should be paid handsomely. Mediocre teachers should be paid "average," and crappy teachers should be paid crappily, or not allowed to keep teaching.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
1. Yes, I do work actively to teach other people in my community about exactly where their school taxes go. I don't just sit around and gripe.
2. I do not "envy" the teachers. I'm not even saying they shouldn't be paid well. I'm saying that all the bellyaching about not being paid well is not based on any fact.
3. As said in another post, plenty of people in all professions take work home with them and work 10+ hour days. This is not something unique to teachers.
4. I did not post this to gain support from anyone here or to try to change things in my community. I posted it as a discussion topic and an "FYI" for others in PA.
5. If the salaries were comensurate with the actual performance of a school, then I'd be more willing to believe the hypothesis that pouring more money into schools, teachers salaries & benefits, and unions means better education for the kids. But I've yet to see reliable proof of that hypothesis. Where I live, more & more people in the "best" school districts are sending their kids to private education/tutoring centers to help make up for what they have not learned in school.
6. Yes, I've worked in places where I've been cursed out, spit at, bitten. My co-workers have been hit and kicked (I've been fortunate). It doesn't just happen in a school setting. I'm in behavioral health--mental health & developmental disabilities. If salary level needs to be connect to the hazards like this, then the folks who work with people with mental retardation/ developmental disabilities "deserve" even better than teachers get. And if danger/hazard is to be the basis for a high salary, then why are police officers paid so little compared with teachers? I don't think hazards should be the basis for one's salary. It should be performance, period. Excellent teachers should be paid handsomely. Mediocre teachers should be paid "average," and crappy teachers should be paid crappily, or not allowed to keep teaching.
Instead of starting a thread complaining about people belly aching go to a thread where they actually are and counter their claims. You may get more support that way. Otherwise it appears you are trying to bait people to make yourself feel better.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM

14,908 posts, read 12,569,173 times
I have never seen a thread on here started by a teacher complaining about being underpaid. I have seen many, many threads about people claiming teachers are overpaid. Heck there are now two on the first page of this forum.

So which teachers are actually complaining?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM

9,205 posts, read 17,486,583 times
I never said the bellyaching and complaining from teachers is here on this board. It's every single teacher I know in both PA and NJ. They complain about it all the time. Their spouses do to.
Then after hearing this so much from teachers, non-teachers around PA and NJ who don't know the facts talk about it all the time as if it's fact.

They mention it here and there as a "given" that teachers are very underpaid. So I posted this link so that perhaps a few people would look up the facts and stop making such claims.

Maybe it's just an NJ and eastern PA thing. Maybe teachers in the rest of the country never complain. Must be just geography and the circles I move in.

But I somehow doubt that. We hear it in the media, on TV shows, in general conversation all the time. How often do you hear "...and on a teacher's salary" or "..and you know what a teacher's salary is like"? As if everyone accepts that teachers are tossed a few peanuts for all their hard work. Some probably are underpaid for their performance, but most, at least in my geographic area, are not.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I never said the bellyaching and complaining from teachers is here on this board. It's every single teacher I know in both PA and NJ. They complain about it all the time. Their spouses do to.
Then after hearing this so much from teachers, non-teachers around PA and NJ who don't know the facts talk about it all the time as if it's fact.

They mention it here and there as a "given" that teachers are very underpaid. So I posted this link so that perhaps a few people would look up the facts and stop making such claims.

Maybe it's just an NJ and eastern PA thing. Maybe teachers in the rest of the country never complain. Must be just geography and the circles I move in.

But I somehow doubt that. We hear it in the media, on TV shows, in general conversation all the time. How often do you hear "...and on a teacher's salary" or "..and you know what a teacher's salary is like"? As if everyone accepts that teachers are tossed a few peanuts for all their hard work. Some probably are underpaid for their performance, but most, at least in my geographic area, are not.
This is the point we are trying to make. You are taking specific comments and trying to generalize them to everyone. If the reporters ask 100 teachers what they think about their pay and five complain which ones do you think will make the news? Yes teachers complain about salaries and yes many of us have said something about it but that is to them when they post and not a sweeping generalization in a forum when someone tells you that at the pool during the summer. I do trust you have shared your information and comparisons with them in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or