Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,854 times

Advertisements

Lazy students drag down the rest of society by their elite attitude that I deserve respect because I am paying good money for this class. No, unless they are trying, I will fail them, just like the real world outside of college.

Actually I am told I am one of their best teachers and the students give me great feedback and the mystery shoppers from the administration always report I am excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
You seem to be under the impression you are teaching 5 year olds with your posts about dress code,etc

I surely hope your students are filling out those forms reporting your conduct. You need to find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Lazy students drag down the rest of society by their elite attitude that I deserve respect because I am paying good money for this class. No, unless they are trying, I will fail them, just like the real world outside of college.

Actually I am told I am one of their best teachers and the students give me great feedback and the mystery shoppers from the administration always report I am excellent.
I want to know what your definition of "trying" is? I also want to know if you teach at a community college, university, or tech school. Not what establishment, but what type.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
An earlier post notes a vo-tech.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
An earlier post notes a vo-tech.
Thank you.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

They are buying a service. How they use it - if they pay attention - that is up to them.

If you went out to dinner you wouldn't want your waiter to kick you out because you didn't look like you were enjoying your meal, would you? Same thing.

Judge them by their performance on tests/papers/assignments and nothing else.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,099 times
I also escaped high school instruction to teach in college. Classroom management at the college level is typically a lot more subtle than using the techniques you describe. Angering HS students was sometimes necessary as a motivator, angering college students who are already motivated enough to pay their money to be there may be unwise. You can alienate an entire class, and make it that much more difficult to gain their cooperation when trying to impart difficult concepts or encourage class discussion.

If your students are bored for one or two class periods, they may have other issues. If they are continually bored, you may want to reexamine your presentation. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 AM

I teach evening classes at both a VOC Tech Program and at a local Community College. I do not agree that the students are anymore motivated than High School. To many tell me that they are not taking the class because they have any interest in the topic but because they want the credit or certificate. I do not want to turn it into a worthless diploma mill where we appease the students because they are paying.

You are right, if I acted like Professor Kingsfield and picked on students the class will turn against me and nothing is accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
I also escaped high school instruction to teach in college. Classroom management at the college level is typically a lot more subtle than using the techniques you describe. Angering HS students was sometimes necessary as a motivator, angering college students who are already motivated enough to pay their money to be there may be unwise. You can alienate an entire class, and make it that much more difficult to gain their cooperation when trying to impart difficult concepts or encourage class discussion.

If your students are bored for one or two class periods, they may have other issues. If they are continually bored, you may want to reexamine your presentation. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:38 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
do you understand the difference between a child and an adult?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
I don't mean to sound rude OP, but you sound like you're on an ego trip. I get the feeling this has little to do with you wanting to help your students. They are obviously motivated to get the certificate and better their lives, they just don't have much interest in your particular subject. Not everyone finds every subject interesting, get over it. If they can pass your tests they are obviously getting the information they need and that's all that matters.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Just passing tests is not enough now a days

People seem to go to easy on today's students. They assume that passing the test is enough. It is not, nor should it be. We are in a new time here in America, we need to toughen the standards or we will turn into a third world country. All aspects of the students actions need to be determined and evaluated. That includes: attendance, class room participation, interest, preparation, energy level, testing scores and punctuality. Just like the corporate world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I don't mean to sound rude OP, but you sound like you're on an ego trip. I get the feeling this has little to do with you wanting to help your students. They are obviously motivated to get the certificate and better their lives, they just don't have much interest in your particular subject. Not everyone finds every subject interesting, get over it. If they can pass your tests they are obviously getting the information they need and that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching