Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
In michigan the only difference is the management company. 90% are philosophically identical--run up enrollment for huge FTE, then throw out the bad apples after count day.
How far into the school year is count day? Throwing out the bad apples might help some teachers who are burn outs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 AM

328 posts, read 682,189 times
Most important to talk to teachers, principal, administrators, and parents and do not be impressed by just one person. Must have all parties be top players. If only you are really impressed by just one or two or...., it is a major sign of failure. Too often I have seen Charter Schools open as a result of some individual who has little knowledge and little background deciding to do it. Often they have an agenda but have no understanding and experience with education--but a desire that they can do it better. Proceed with caution.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How far into the school year is count day? Throwing out the bad apples might help some teachers who are burn outs.
October is the first count. In MI there are 4 count days and the state applys some formula to get an average number.

In public school tey do not have the luxury of tossing the bad apples--especially kids with IEPs.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I, too, know of cases where this has happened (at private...and also nonunion...schools, not charter, though). However, a witch hunt can affect teachers at unionized schools, as well. The union will not always be enough to protect people who are wrongfully accused...even if they are cleared, their lives as educators can assuredly be over, because once things are said, they can't be unsaid. It sucks. Were I a guy, I wouldn't teach for all the money in the world, for this reason. I have known personally of too many instances of trumped up and eventually found to be false allegations(not that it mattered, because the damage was already done) of improprieties having been leveled against good male teachers. Unfortunately, male teachers are easy targets.
Teachers are also underpaid. The school I attended in Belgium was run by the British and it was very disciplined and organized; the kids behaved themselves. When I came back to the states, the school I went to was out of control and the teachers were at their wits' end. Plenty of bullies and other idiot students, the school was underfunded, etc. Couldn't believe how violent the students were. The underfunding of the social safety net in this country due to right-wing anti-tax morons has dragged the education system down along with everything else.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Another charter school observation (based on my MI experience) Why do charters schools have such a LOW incident rate of IEP students? I am talking like less than 10%, closer to 5%?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Teachers are also underpaid. The school I attended in Belgium was run by the British and it was very disciplined and organized; the kids behaved themselves. When I came back to the states, the school I went to was out of control and the teachers were at their wits' end. Plenty of bullies and other idiot students, the school was underfunded, etc. Couldn't believe how violent the students were. The underfunding of the social safety net in this country due to right-wing anti-tax morons has dragged the education system down along with everything else.

So you went to one school in Belgium and one school in the US, therefore US teachers are underpaid?? Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com According to this site, the average teacher is paid $60,000/year where I live. I'm not saying everything is wonderful where I live, but the teachers tend to stay here their whole career. Every school is different.

My daughter taught in a charter school in NYC for one year. With only two years of teaching experience under her belt, she was one of the more experienced teachers and readily admitted that she was in over her head. Administration gave conflicting rules, she had to make her own curriculum and the pay was less then it had been in the very nice district she taught in previously. They had their charter revoked the following year. Less then a mile from her school was another charter that was held up as a model school.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
So you went to one school in Belgium and one school in the US, therefore US teachers are underpaid?? Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com According to this site, the average teacher is paid $60,000/year where I live. I'm not saying everything is wonderful where I live, but the teachers tend to stay here their whole career. Every school is different.

My daughter taught in a charter school in NYC for one year. With only two years of teaching experience under her belt, she was one of the more experienced teachers and readily admitted that she was in over her head. Administration gave conflicting rules, she had to make her own curriculum and the pay was less then it had been in the very nice district she taught in previously. They had their charter revoked the following year. Less then a mile from her school was another charter that was held up as a model school.
I was conveying the fact that I was able to compare the European school with the American schools I have attended. Do you understand? I also attended school in Canada and it was also better-run. The problem is the US has a paltry, under-funded social safety net, including no single-payer health care, thus children have a lot more problems to deal with than math. You need to get it together and take care of your people. Stop being servants to the rich. $60K is not enough for the responsibilities of an American teacher and what they have to deal with.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I was conveying the fact that I was able to compare the European school with the American schools I have attended. Do you understand? I also attended school in Canada and it was also better-run. The problem is the US has a paltry, under-funded social safety net, including no single-payer health care, thus children have a lot more problems to deal with than math. You need to get it together and take care of your people. Stop being servants to the rich. $60K is not enough for the responsibilities of an American teacher and what they have to deal with.
Perhaps you are the one that is confused. You are able to compare the schools you attended to each other. Different states fund their school systems differently and have different graduation requirements.

Let's keep this discussion about Charter Schools please. Any experience with them?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM

AFT - A Union of Professionals - Charter Schools

Many teachers and staff in unionized charter schools report high levels of job satisfaction, noting that they benefit from the protections and rights of a union, and the freedom and flexibility of a charter.'

'In a landmark address in 1988, former AFT president Albert Shanker became one of the first education leaders to champion the concept of charter schools. Shanker envisioned teacher-led laboratories of reform that would experiment with new instructional practices.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: link and snippet please

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
AFT - A Union of Professionals - Charter Schools

Many teachers and staff in unionized charter schools report high levels of job satisfaction, noting that they benefit from the protections and rights of a union, and the freedom and flexibility of a charter.'

'In a landmark address in 1988, former AFT president Albert Shanker became one of the first education leaders to champion the concept of charter schools. Shanker envisioned teacher-led laboratories of reform that would experiment with new instructional practices.
Yep, some charter schools work.... At least the ones that were studied in 1988 did.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching